Not logging...binge eating.

Options
A few years ago, I used MFP to lose about 12 pounds. Since that time, I have lost and gained that 12 pounds over and over. Here is the process...I lost the weight using MFP and successfully maintain as long as I log. After a month or so, I get really, really sick of logging and decide I can maintain without it. Logging breakfast and lunch is easy, but I cook different things for dinner, and it's a pain to figure out the calorie count for those things. I'm ok for awhile, then I start to binge and gain back the weight. This time, I am at the point in the cycle where I quit logging and start binging, but I haven't yet gained the weight back. I am just going to have to accept that logging is something I'm always going to have to do. Why can't I just eat normally and not have to log every calorie? Does anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think we all have the same issue, which is why we're all here. If we are the very same thing every day, that would be one thing. Logging keeps me very real. Knowing I will honestly log everything might make me think twice about having something. It's all about accountability. Mindless eating is too easy. This makes me aware of what I'm putting in my mouth.
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Logging is always going to be essential for me -- I try not to think of it as this horrible chore that has to be done, but as a useful tool.

If you're finding it too burdensome to track every tiny ingredient that you cook with, maybe you could look up equivalent dishes that are already in MFP? It won't be perfectly accurate, but maybe it's close enough for you to maintain your good habits without giving up on tracking completely.
  • JoJoTheModern
    JoJoTheModern Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I plan on logging on a permanent basis. It's just data, I'm just keeping an eye on myself, taking care of myself. ^.^
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will take a few days off from logging. More to test my mental calculations than anything else. I use the phone app - its really no big deal to log. I do prefer the phone app to the website for logging though. Especially since its easier to pull up my recent entries.
  • Digbysmom
    Digbysmom Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also plan on logging on a permanent basis. If I don't it just turns into mindless eating. I log my breakfast and lunch the night before, that way I only have to worry about logging dinner the next day. It works for me and helps me plan out my meals ahead.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I plan to keep logging. But even if I didn't...because I logged for so long, it would be pretty easy to figure out how many calories are in a dinner I cook! I mean I remember how many calories are in a tablespoon of oil, I've measure out 142 grams of brown rice tons of times and know the calorie count, pretty good at eyeballing meats and pasta after measure for so long too.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have found from experience that I need to log my food. This time I logged daily as I was losing weight and since reaching goal haven't stopped. In the past I would log my food and stop shortly after reaching my goal and the weight just kept back on.
    Now it is second nature to me.....I eat and I log. If I know what I"m going to have for lunch I log that when I log in breakfast. I've been at or under my goal for over two years!
    Logging works.
  • thetanyacam
    thetanyacam Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    the only sanity i have is logging in everyday. Even if i binge, i log it.
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    mjglantz wrote: »
    I have found from experience that I need to log my food. This time I logged daily as I was losing weight and since reaching goal haven't stopped. In the past I would log my food and stop shortly after reaching my goal and the weight just kept back on.
    Now it is second nature to me.....I eat and I log. If I know what I"m going to have for lunch I log that when I log in breakfast. I've been at or under my goal for over two years!
    Logging works.

This is me exactly. I reach goal, stop logging, and gain. I plan to make this time different!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    logging works, it takes a few mins a day and I know I intend to keep on logging indefinately as any time I did stop for a while I was starting to gain too. There is nothing better than being slim and I'll do what it takes to stay this way :smile:
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I usually pre log as much as I can, which helps. But once in awhile I'll take a few days off from logging then get back to it.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    At some point you are going to have to have a good sit down with yourself and ask why logging bothers you?

For many maintainers (like myself), logging food has become second nature - like a part of food prep so it's rather automatic. (think putting on a seat belt every time one gets in the car sort of automatic).

There are of course maintainers who are able to regain their internal portion meter and are very successful in maintaining without logging.

However, only you can determine if you are one of those people who can maintain without logging.

If not, then either you have to make peace with the fact that you have to log in order to maintain OR make peace with a heavier version of yourself.

Best of luck to you!
  • yapdog
    yapdog Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think we all have the same issue, which is why we're all here. If we are the very same thing every day, that would be one thing. Logging keeps me very real. Knowing I will honestly log everything might make me think twice about having something. It's all about accountability. Mindless eating is too easy. This makes me aware of what I'm putting in my mouth.
    ^^^this!!! Too true
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I log but I'm okay with guesstimating some things, and I leave out the bit of sugar I put in my coffee because it's a hassle. If I start getting too stringent with weighing and measuring, I get too restrictive (I used to be anorexic), and likewise if I don't log at all, I start to eat too much and gain weight slowly (or end up falling back into bulimic habits). So vaguely logging every day works for me. It keeps me accountable without being too much effort.
  • montarsi
    montarsi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jubee13 wrote: »
    A few years ago, I used MFP to lose about 12 pounds. Since that time, I have lost and gained that 12 pounds over and over. Here is the process...I lost the weight using MFP and successfully maintain as long as I log. After a month or so, I get really, really sick of logging and decide I can maintain without it. Logging breakfast and lunch is easy, but I cook different things for dinner, and it's a pain to figure out the calorie count for those things. I'm ok for awhile, then I start to binge and gain back the weight. This time, I am at the point in the cycle where I quit logging and start binging, but I haven't yet gained the weight back. I am just going to have to accept that logging is something I'm always going to have to do. Why can't I just eat normally and not have to log every calorie? Does anyone else have this issue?

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I log but I'm okay with guesstimating some things, and I leave out the bit of sugar I put in my coffee because it's a hassle. If I start getting too stringent with weighing and measuring, I get too restrictive (I used to be anorexic), and likewise if I don't log at all, I start to eat too much and gain weight slowly (or end up falling back into bulimic habits). So vaguely logging every day works for me. It keeps me accountable without being too much effort.

I do exactly the same as you (for pretty much exactly the same reasons) and I would highly recommend 'guestimating in the long term'. Although I make most of my meals from scratch, I often log a ready-meal version of what I have made, knowing that it will be roughly right and, if anything, with higher fat and salt content than I would have actually used when cooking.

Also, try finding some ways to make things less hassle than having to weigh everything. I have a cheat sheet with approximate values for certain things, e.g. 1 sweet potato = 100g etc and I also have my trusty plastic jug - I weighed out portions once, put them in to the plastic jug and I put marks on a plastic beaker, which I labelled with a sharpie, to show where I should fill it to for certain portions of thing, e.g. 75g rice, 100g pasta, 30g cheese, 50g bran flakes etc.
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^^^^Yes, this is me exactly. I go through the the same thought process. Logging is a tool that takes a few moments a day and keeps me from binging, but I convince myself I can do without it. I know I can't, and hopefully I will quiet that voice in my head that tells me I can. The results of not logging are disastrous every time. It feels so nice to hear from others who know what I'm going through!
  • clare78baby
    clare78baby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think I will be logging forever too, it holds me accountable, without it the meals are fine but the snacking becomes uncontrollable. I am entering into maintenance, not yet changed my goals but am dabbling with being less restricted and I think this phase is going to be crucial to long term keeping the weight off. Logging is essential for me
  • Wolfy34
    Wolfy34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am about 2 lbs off from my goal, so it's time for me to start thinking about maintaining as well. I think I will always log on a regular basis, but will give myself two or three cheat meals per week (or one full day) to take a break. I feel as long as I come right back to logging, that should maintain beautifully without being too much of a hassle :-) I think cheat meals are always good for sanity, unless one is on a very restrictrive time goal for weight loss.