How much soreness is too much to work out?

Options
I just started at a gym and i did my first upper body workout wednesday. I'm not in like serious pain or anything but i still feel a little sore after one day of rest, should i push through or should i give it the extra time til i feel 100% (work/gym hours will make it so i can't get in til sunday or monday probably)? I don't want to overstrain and hurt anything but i don't want to make excuses to get off schedule this early. Any advice would be awesome.

Replies

• buffalobill41
    buffalobill41 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    edit: i could get in today i was just saying saturday almost definitely won't and sunday might not be options.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Push through. Soreness, given that it is "delayed onset muscle sorenes" (or DOMS) as opposed to pain or muscle damage, is perfectly fine. You'll eventually build up tolerance and recover quicker once your body is accustomed to working out and weight training. Try a leg workout - now those DOMS will be intense! ha. Good luck!
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If it's just muscle soreness, I think you can continue working out, unless you're in serious pain. If it's joint pain - like in your knees or elbows, etc, - then you're supposed to rest that until you feel better. That's why good form is important - to prevent joint injuries that can derail your workout plan.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I assume you won't be doing the exact same workout today (?) Does your plan change a little for today? If so, though you're sore, I'd think you'll be fine.

I just switched to a new weight lifting program last week. I found it took me three days to fully recover, rather than 2. But I continued (I lift on M-W-F, and run on T-Th-S). Since the lifting exercises are a little different each day for me, it wasn't that hard to push through. This week (week2 of new program) I feel less sore after 2 days.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    When you do a leg work out. wake up the next morning, swing your legs over the side of the bed...stand up to stretch and fall on the floor in pain...then you must wait a bit for the DOMS to subside...but what you described...push through.
  • buffalobill41
    Options
    i did a leg workout thursday so i would be pretty much trying to do the same upper body workout i did wednesday, i definitely won't be increasing the reps or weight if that clarifies things
  • MissShannonFit
    MissShannonFit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If it's DOMS you should be okay, what I tell my clients is to listen to their bodies. As long as it is soreness (manageable) and not actual pain (sharp, persistent, throbbing) then a day or two to rest before doing the same workout is usually good. You do not want to strain these muscles though, so do remember to stretch and warm up/cool down before and after your workout.
  • jasond177
    jasond177 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If it's just muscle soreness, I think you can continue working out, unless you're in serious pain. If it's joint pain - like in your knees or elbows, etc, - then you're supposed to rest that until you feel better. That's why good form is important - to prevent joint injuries that can derail your workout plan.

• jasond177
    jasond177 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If your muscles are still sore, focus on the muscles that aren't. Your muscles grow during rest. They won't build If you never let them fully repair themselves. I say 2 days between
  • KrissyRawrz
    KrissyRawrz Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you could be non-sore after exercise lol. Definitely go to the gym still and push past it. The more you exercise the easier it gets. You shouldn't need a few days break after 1 session unless you've pulled something?
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just started at a gym and i did my first upper body workout wednesday. I'm not in like serious pain or anything but i still feel a little sore after one day of rest, should i push through or should i give it the extra time til i feel 100% (work/gym hours will make it so i can't get in til sunday or monday probably)? I don't want to overstrain and hurt anything but i don't want to make excuses to get off schedule this early. Any advice would be awesome.

A few things:

Cycle your muscle groups...don't ever work the same muscles day over day unless you are very advanced.
    Sore and hurt are different things, you need to determine which you REALLY are.
    If you just started lifting you need to ease into it. Honestly you shouldn't be THAT sore...if you are then you are either a) hurt or b) overworking.
    Its not a competition, nor is it a sprint...its an endurance race and you should plan your strategy in months not days.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much always sore somewhere, but I never work the same muscle groups two days in a row. Unless something is tweaked or strained, I'm lifting.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

A few things:

Cycle your muscle groups...don't ever work the same muscles day over day unless you are very advanced.
    Sore and hurt are different things, you need to determine which you REALLY are.
    If you just started lifting you need to ease into it. Honestly you shouldn't be THAT sore...if you are then you are either a) hurt or b) overworking.
    Its not a competition, nor is it a sprint...its an endurance race and you should plan your strategy in months not days.

QFT

I believe the 48 hr rule still has merit - e.g. if you work your biceps, don't work them out again for 48 hrs.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    In. (cause this didn't go so well last time.)

But OP, so far everyone is giving you solid advice. :smile: I would suggest powering through.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    If I wince when I sit down or get up, I'm too sore. If I'm just feeling work in my muscles, I can get through it.

Wince = Rest :D
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »
    If I wince when I sit down or get up, I'm too sore. If I'm just feeling work in my muscles, I can get through it.

Wince = Rest :D

My hip flexor had me wincing today. Maybe should have rested. I compromised and went kind of light :/
  • buffalobill41
    Options
    ha, i guess i should have rested now my shoulder is pretty sore, think i just overdid it a bit and i'm not injured though. but it sounds like you usually take two rest days before you should work that body area again? (obviously now i'll wait til the shoulder feels better but i'm saying after that.)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    ha, i guess i should have rested now my shoulder is pretty sore, think i just overdid it a bit and i'm not injured though. but it sounds like you usually take two rest days before you should work that body area again? (obviously now i'll wait til the shoulder feels better but i'm saying after that.)

There aren't any absolutes to be found. For example, I can bench every other day without issue, but I'd prefer to have two days between squat sessions, especially if I squat and deadlift on the same day. On that note, there's also the issue of how much stress you're putting on the muscle group. The harder the workout the more recovery may be needed.