Options
2»

Replies

• CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    patmid wrote: »
    moltobella wrote: »
    I love mine and find that it's accurate most of the time. During my workouts Ive wore my Charge HR and Chest strap and they were within 10 calories of each other.

This is good to know, because there have been a few reviews who say the HR isn't very accurate, I was going to wear my chest strap as well. At least that way there is no doubt. I will wear it for a few sessions to check.

I would be very interested to hear how you get on. I really want to buy one but don't want to waste my money. I really need the HR.
  • patmid
    patmid Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Katiebear_81 and FishyK really helpful posts. Your descriptions of how you use the Fitbit Is really informative. Together with all the other posts it has convinced me, I will buy one.

Hi CockneyLady2014 it will be some time before I can let you know how I get on with it as I haven't had the all clear from hospital yet. My back has improved but my weight loss so far is purely down to dieting. To start with I will be walking on the treadmill but I will let you know as soon as I have something to say. Sorry it can't be sooner.
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hope I'm not hijacking, but would any of you recommend the Charge HR for an "average" person? Meaning I'm not a cyclist or runner or the like. I'm just trying to be more active and lose weight. I go to the gym and do cardio and lift.

I have a One, which I like and suits my needs, but I am an information junky and curious about the heartrate aspect of the Charge HR.

Absolutely. I'm not a crazy exercise person (well sometimes lol) but I love it! I LOOOVE all the tracking data! I'm totally a numbers person. I like being able to see how much sleep I actually get. You'd be surprised. I also like to see my heart rate. I have a Polar hrm I used with my Flex but having the Charge HR is so much easier. My husband has the Surge and likes it alright. I didn't want something so bulky so figured if I ever walk or run outside I'll just use my Runkeeper app.
  • karag413
    karag413 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I echo many statements here. I absolutely love mine. I've had the flex, and polar and went to the Charge HR the day it came out. The tracking helps to keep me motivated. Honestly, I like mine SO much that I just purchased one for my Aunt for Mother's Day.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My children gave me a Charge HR for Mother's Day, and I love it! Like others here, I love seeing the numbers. I haven't compared my HR numbers for the Charge to my Garmin w/chest strap, but based on what I've seen so far, I suspect it will be pretty close...at least close enough!
  • patmid
    Options
    Brilliant, thank you so much karag413 and kdkyzer.

• wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've matched up the sensors at the gym on the machine with my Fitbit Surge and the surge was within 1-3bpm most of the time.

I don't expect the fitbits to be dead on at all times, just as long as it gives me a good idea!
  • CockneyLady2014
    Options
    Hi Patmid have you bought one yet? I am reading so many conflicting reviews I don't know what to do.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has one and it gives extraordinarily high calorie burns for less mileage than I do with my FitBit One some days so I would be very cautious eating back what it gives you. If you don't need the HR bit the FitBit One is excellent, discreet and only racks up steps you do rather than arm movements. I would definitely buy mine again.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I have the charge HR. I have had a fitbit of some kind all the time I have been on this site and I have lost about 46lbs. I have upgraded to the charge HR in February this year. I love the heart rate monitor. I know some reports say they are inaccurate but mine knew I had a low resting heartrate and was correct with tests I had done myself. It also knows that my heartrate does not go as high as some peoples no matter how hard I try because my heart rate is low to start with. Even if it is inaccurate I don't know anyone who eats back all their calories. Most people eat 50% from what I have read. Anyway, losing the weight is proof enough for me that it works and if it doesn't work, it has certainly encouraged me to do more walking.
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I defintely recommend a FitBit, I personally have the Charge as at the time of purchase the HR wasn't out. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Surge as I'm looking to get into running and the GPS functionality interests me.

Since I got my FitBit Charge I've tried to consciously ensure I hit 10k steps per day, even when I'm on my day off I make sure I'm out and about walking places to hit my goal. I've now hit 10k per day since 20th April and as much as I try and keep my streak up logging into MFP, I want to try and keep my step streak going too!

It's definitely made me more active and another aspect I like is where you can challenge your friends!

If anyone would like to become friends on FitBit, my profile can be viewed here; https:////www.fitbit.com/user/2XDGBQ
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has one and it gives extraordinarily high calorie burns for less mileage than I do with my FitBit One some days so I would be very cautious eating back what it gives you.

If your friend is male &/or bigger than you, they will get a higher burn than you. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), aka your maintenance calories.

I upgraded from the Fitbit Flex to the Charge HR a couple of months ago, and I'm still losing. The only way to prove the accuracy is to trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    A friend of mine has one and it gives extraordinarily high calorie burns for less mileage than I do with my FitBit One some days so I would be very cautious eating back what it gives you.

If your friend is male &/or bigger than you, they will get a higher burn than you. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), aka your maintenance calories.

I upgraded from the Fitbit Flex to the Charge HR a couple of months ago, and I'm still losing. The only way to prove the accuracy is to trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

Male, about 20 pounds lighter than me but the burn difference can be as much as 800 calories more for less steps.
  • patmid
    Options
    Hi cockneylady2014 I have ordered one online, which hopefully will have arrived when I return home as I am away at present. Hoping it isn't too complicated to use/set-up, I have no idea what some the the comments mean. I guess you have to be using it to understand, or I really hope that's the case.

Really looking forward to it, the comments have been very encouraging and I love the idea of it inspiring you to do more exercise/steps and I find monitoring sleep patterns fascinating. I too am a numbers person the same as kdkyzer & bcruz313.

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    My wife loves hers I have the Surge and love it

29509743.png
  • CockneyLady2014
    Options
    patmid thanks for letting me know you have bought one. It will be interesting to see how you get on with it. Have a good holiday.
  • Carpercia
    Carpercia Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    patmid wrote: »
    i have been looking at the Fitbit Charge HR and was wondering if anyone has some advice whether a good purchase or not? Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm a little late to the conversation.
    For what its worth - I have been using a charge HR for about 8 weeks now and I have lost 24lbs+

The device itself is about as accurate as you could expect such a device to be.
    For me, it was alot of motivation to hit (and exceed) my daily targets.

If anything happened to this, I would replace it with a new one.
    I would recommend :)
  • patmid
    Options
    Many thanks for your input Carpercia, all the responses have convinced me that I made the right decision to buy one.
  • patmid
    Options
    Can't wait to get it cockneylady. Cheers.
  • CockneyLady2014
    Options
    Thank you I'll get searching for one. You have all been so helpful even though I didn't post the question in the first place.