HELP WITH SUGAR!!!

Options
axman19
axman19 Posts: 79 Member
So I am in my 6th day and I ate a 1/2 cup of multigrain cheerios with a banana this morning on some advice from people on this forum. I plug my banana in my counter and it puts me at 4g of sugar available for the rest of the day. People keep telling me that fruit sugar you can take off the counter, but why would they put it on if you didnt have to worry about it. I need some more imput on the sugar grams allowed per day theory.

Replies

• VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that fruit is a healthy food and the sugars in fruit aren't the same as "processed" sugar.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    fruit makes me gain weight at the end of the day everyone different and it can make you hold body water
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a complex sugar however, depending on where you are in your weight loss journey and what you have left to accomplish, you will, at some point, need to cut back on the fruit sugars too. Try experimenting with other fruits that are lower in sugar and keep your fruit servings to 1-2.
  • keleraba
    keleraba Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't think you should worry too much about fruit sugar. It comes from the nature and its not like you eat 500 calories of sugar per day, so go for it. None of us gained weight from fruits and none of us will loose the weight by cutting out fruits from the diet. Think of the vitamins you're getting from them and not about the sugar.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    The reason is, how do they know if it's good sugar or bad sugar??? Carbs are sugar, but different types of carbs get absorbed at different speeds. Healthy carbs get absorbed slowly, unhealthy get absorbed quickly. The gylcemix index is a scale of how fast carbs get absorbed by the body.

So at what point, does a healthy carb turn in to a unhealthy carb??? that's a very touch question to answer. Where is the line between healthy carb and a bad carb? The glycemix index has a list of "very good carbs","good carbs","okay carbs","kind of bad carbs","bad carbs"

is an "okay carb" a bad carb or a good carb??? Sugar is bad carbs, but carbohydrates are sugars, but not all carbohydrates behave like sugars due to the rate of absortion.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    The reason is, how do they know if it's good sugar or bad sugar??? Carbs are sugar, but different types of carbs get absorbed at different speeds. Healthy carbs get absorbed slowly, unhealthy get absorbed quickly. The gylcemix index is a scale of how fast carbs get absorbed by the body.

So at what point, does a healthy carb turn in to a unhealthy carb??? that's a very touch question to answer. Where is the line between healthy carb and a bad carb? The glycemix index has a list of "very good carbs","good carbs","okay carbs","kind of bad carbs","bad carbs"

is an "okay carb" a bad carb or a good carb??? Sugar is bad carbs, but carbohydrates are sugars, but not all carbohydrates behave like sugars due to the rate of absortion.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Try fruits with a lower glycemic index. Strawberries, blueberries, apples, blackberries, raspberries (almost any berry). Bananas have the most sugar and highest GI of all fruits. (oh, but they are tasty!)
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    Try fruits with a lower glycemic index. Strawberries, blueberries, apples, blackberries, raspberries (almost any berry). Bananas have the most sugar and highest GI of all fruits. (oh, but they are tasty!)

What she said LOL but add pineapple to that list.
  • axman19
    Options
    Grapefruit??????
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should worry too much about fruit sugar. It comes from the nature and its not like you eat 500 calories of sugar per day, so go for it. None of us gained weight from fruits and none of us will loose the weight by cutting out fruits from the diet. Think of the vitamins you're getting from them and not about the sugar.

That's not true. You should probably limit yourself to a fruit a day. Fruit does have sugar and obviously it's a carb. Also by cutting out fruit, you will lose assuming you're on a clean diet ( prob ditch the cheerios too lol) steel cut oats made with water or skim milk is the way to go. I add trivia to make it sweet
  • axman19
    Options
    Really, ditch the cheerios??? Are they that bad for me?? Thanks for the responses.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    Cheerios probably have added sugar in them. You don't have to ditch them completely, but once a day probably is too much if you are trying to lose weight.
    Sometimes I eat 2 hard boiled eggs in the morning, or scrambled with some veggies. It keeps me full a much longer time than cereal. It hasn't heightened my cholesterol either.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Really, ditch the cheerios??? Are they that bad for me?? Thanks for the responses.
    Sugar is the 3rd ingredient in the multigrain cheerios. Now, it's only 6g/serving, which isn't horrible, but that plus the banana could be a major chunk out of your sugar allotment.
  • cubsgirl10
    cubsgirl10 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just read today that we all need to look at this differently. For example, there are 17 grams of sugar in a banana, about a third of what is in a candy bar, but the candy bar also has fat and no fiber, opposite of the banana. Now, I could eat a bunch of candy bars if I alllowed myself, but I could not eat an entire bunch of bananas! The sugar, fat, and lack of fiber in processed food makes it so easy to eat; most times you hardly have to chew.so it satisfies NOTHING, and then we crave more and more But carrots, bananas, potatoes, (good stuff), require chewing, and slowing down and fiber to fill us, so we are more satisfied.

I don't know if this helps you, but it sure helped me.

Good luck!
  • bellaandmouse
    Options
    Watch out for skim milk when it comes to sugar content. I was shocked to learn that most brands have 12g to 14g of sugar per cup. So if you have a tall glass of skim milk, you come very close to your sugar quota for the day.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    Watch out for skim milk when it comes to sugar content. I was shocked to learn that most brands have 12g to 14g of sugar per cup. So if you have a tall glass of skim milk, you come very close to your sugar quota for the day.

2% also has 12g of sugar, and the same with my skim milk thats currently in the fridge.
  • axman19
    Options
    I use a half a cup of 1% low fat that has 6g of sugar.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering where everyone is getting these sugar quota numbers?? If I am understanding correctly, 'limits' appear to be around 24g of sugar per day - am I correct? Is that what you are aiming for??

I'm pretty sure that the 'limit' is usually 24g of ADDED sugar per day, meaning sugar that is added in to food above and beyond what is naturally occurring. 12 g. of sugar in skim milk is naturally occurring sugar and not added in by any manufacturer to try and make it taste better. 6 g. of sugar in Cheerios IS added in by the manufacturer to try and make it taste better. The big difference is that added sugar is usually refined sugar, which is considered a 'bad' carb that is easily converted into fat by your body.

(Sorry about the use of caps - I'm really not shouting, it was just added for emphasis since I can't underline or bold the type!)
  • axman19
    Options
    I'm wondering where everyone is getting these sugar quota numbers?? If I am understanding correctly, 'limits' appear to be around 24g of sugar per day - am I correct? Is that what you are aiming for??

I'm pretty sure that the 'limit' is usually 24g of ADDED sugar per day, meaning sugar that is added in to food above and beyond what is naturally occurring. 12 g. of sugar in skim milk is naturally occurring sugar and not added in by any manufacturer to try and make it taste better. 6 g. of sugar in Cheerios IS added in by the manufacturer to try and make it taste better. The big difference is that added sugar is usually refined sugar, which is considered a 'bad' carb that is easily converted into fat by your body.

(Sorry about the use of caps - I'm really not shouting, it was just added for emphasis since I can't underline or bold the type!)

It adds them all on the calorie counter.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If I had a choice I would not eat fruits at all, I eat prunes just to help with digestion, they have way too many carbs! would rather eat something else