Do you log your fruit?

Options
124»

Replies

• Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    In the total MFP calorie counter, do most of you log your fruit? I have been and while I only have a few servings it puts me right over my sugar totals. I'm thinking about ommitting the fruit from my daily logs. Opinions?

I log everything, even gum.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I track all fruit. I simply upped the daily amount of sugar to account for the added sugar from all the fruit I eat during the day.
  • KrissyRawrz
    KrissyRawrz Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Of course you log fruit :) or at least I do lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Not only do I log it, I weigh it first. I don't consider fruit to be low calorie at all. The sugar I could give two poops about. I don't even track sugar.
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It would be better if MFP allowed you to only worry about added sugar. The natural sugar in dairy, fruit, vegetables etc is perfectly fine. Even the WHO recommendations talk about added sugars for the most part. WHO guidelines recommend consuming less then 10% of your daily calories from free sugars.

Free sugars being glucose, fructose, sucrose, etc _added_ to food by the manufacturer, cook, or consumer, and the natural sugars present in honey, syrup, fruit juices, and fruit juice concentrates.

The sugars found in dairy, vegetables, and fruit do not account towards your 5-10% recommended limit of sugar because there is no scientific proof that the consumption of those sugars have an adverse affect.

Sugar is not the enemy.

Reference:
    http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I didn't have time to read all the replies, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but you can change your diary settings to track a different nutrient and omit the sugar tracking if seeing it go over bothers you.

Avoiding eating or logging fruit will be counterproductive in the long run. If you stop eating fruit you'll miss out on tons of micronutrients and photochemicals. If you keep eating fruit but don't log it, you won't have accurate data to help you make decisions. As a few posters did mention, WHO and CDC recommendations are based on free sugars, not sugar from fruits, veggies, milk, etc., so the limit shouldn't include those anyway.

Your diary tab will let you set any 6 metrics you want to track on your main page. Sugar will still show up on the nutrition tab, but not on your diary proper. I stopped tracking sugar just about as soon as they added the guideline.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    syndeo wrote: »
    It would be better if MFP allowed you to only worry about added sugar. The natural sugar in dairy, fruit, vegetables etc is perfectly fine. Even the WHO recommendations talk about added sugars for the most part. WHO guidelines recommend consuming less then 10% of your daily calories from free sugars.

Free sugars being glucose, fructose, sucrose, etc _added_ to food by the manufacturer, cook, or consumer, and the natural sugars present in honey, syrup, fruit juices, and fruit juice concentrates.

The sugars found in dairy, vegetables, and fruit do not account towards your 5-10% recommended limit of sugar because there is no scientific proof that the consumption of those sugars have an adverse affect.

Sugar is not the enemy.

Reference:
    http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

It would be hard for MFP at this point to allow for just "added sugar" since the nutrition labels do not differentiate between naturally occurring sugar in a food and the sugar that has been added during processing.

• syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    [quote="Annie_01;32518509"}

It would be hard for MFP at this point to allow for just "added sugar" since the nutrition labels do not differentiate between naturally occurring sugar in a food and the sugar that has been added during processing.

[/quote]

Yes today. But not in the coming months when the food labels change:

• ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers compensates for allowing fruit and vegetables to be "free" by reducing your overall calorie intake. Personally I didn't like the wonky stuff like this that makes everything harder than it has to be. MFP is not giving you any such reduction, so you should track your fruit, and vegetables. Unless you have a medical reason I wouldn't worry about the sugar.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    syndeo wrote: »
    [quote="Annie_01;32518509"}

Yes today. But not in the coming months when the food labels change:

[/quote]

The article said it could take a year or more. Knowing how things work...it will be the "or more".