Cooking Challenge: Zucchini

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the thirty-first round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from nextrightthing, the winner of the beets cooking challenge.

At this point in the challenge, be expecting to see repeat ingredients. But if you entered the old challenge, try something new this time! But after 31 challenges, sometimes I forget what we've done and suggestions get repeated. So from here on out, be aware that there may be repeat challenges (but never back to back, obviously).

Sorry I'm a day late getting this up. I'm out of town and have been running on VERY little sleep.

bowl-of-zucchini.gif

This week's challenge is ZUCCHINI.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday May 21st at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump :tongue:
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    tag
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this:)) Oh boy:embarassed: .....I am really not a good cook :::sigh::: but I am going to give it a shot. I made mashed cauliflower yesterday and it was AWFUL!!! Taking a big gulp..... *runs off to the store to buy zucchini!!!!*
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Share those recipes!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Courgette caponata - 2 courgettes (zucchini) chopped into rounds, and cooked in tomato sauce with garlic, capers and 1 or 2 sticks of celery. Leave to simmer for AGES until it's all soft. I usually add a tablespoon of olive oil too.

Calories 105 per person (recipe serves 2)

Tastes - weird but yummy. Very Sicilian.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I'm sure there's more than one zucchini recipe out there!
    Enter the challenge and share your favorite!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    There's less than 24 hours to enter!
  • Winged_Victory
    Options
    I'm going to make something tonight, assuming they have zucchini at the grocery store when I go today.

Edit: Oh wait, I might not have it done by 5PM Pacific Standard Time. Still going to make it, but not necessarily enter it here if I miss deadline. Ah well.
  • pmke
    pmke Posts: 2
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Italian Zucchini Fritatta
    INGREDIENTS: 1 med-lg zucchini, 1 med white onion, 1 T oil, 6 eggs, 1 tsp garlic salt/powder, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 c Parmesan cheese, 1 T oil
    DIRECTIONS: Wash and dry zucchini; slice very thin with skin still on; cut slices into half and then half again. Peel and dice onion. Heat 8-10" non-stick skillet. Place oil, zucchini, and onion in skillet; saute until transparent. Reduce heat to medium setting. In bowl, scramble eggs, garlic salt/powder, pepper, and cheese. Pour mixture slowly into skillet, covering all zucchini pieces. Let brown slightly on bottom until top is barely wet. Slide fritatta out of pan onto a plate. Add oil to skillet. Flip fritatta back into skillet, so that wet side is facing down, careful not to spatter the oil. Let brown slightly on bottom. Cut into 8 pie-shaped wedges and serve warm or cold.
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 129 per serving
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 8
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: Excellent, passed down from my Italian mother-in-law; now my husband's specialty!
    PICTURE (optional):
  • eklugman
    eklugman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    MY favorite way to cook zucchini, is on the bbq or the oven if it's bad weather.. Just strip them kind of on the thicker side, and then drizzle in olive oil, and put crushed lemon pepper all over them... BEST WAY EVER to eat zucchini!! Also Trader Joe's sells mini zucchini that you can just cut the bag and microwave for 3 minutes, and they are amazing plain b/c they are soo small. The entire package of zucchini which I believe is 6 or 7 zucchini's would be 191 calories, 30 calories, 7 fat (olive oil), 11 protein, and 8 sugar.. according to the tracker.
  • knkmfp
    knkmfp Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I made these tonight:

NAME OF RECIPE: Courgette Fritters (that's zucchini European style ;-) )
    INGREDIENTS:

750g courgette, grated
    115g flour (recipe specified gram flour, lower GI, but I used plain)
    1 medium onion finely chopped
    teaspoon chilli flakes
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    3tablespoons chopped coriander/cilantro

DIRECTIONS:
    Squeeze excess liquid out of the courgettes. Mix all together, then fry - the recipe wasn't very specific, so I shallow fried. For fewer calories I guess you could use a oil spray.

CALORIES PER SERVING: back in a minute, off to check my food diary.
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2 as a main course, 4 as a starter (actually, we had it as a main course with corn ears and it was enough)
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: Hmm, I have another recipe which adds feta and I prefer that one. This was fine, but not wow.
  • knkmfp
    knkmfp Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Calories 185
    Carbs 28
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Grilled Zucchini

Olive Oil (1 TBSP)
    Zucchini (3 Medium)
    Kosher Salt (.25 tsp)
    Pepper

Slice zuc long ways. drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and pepper. Grill.

Yummy!
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Fiber
    Total: 244 32 14 8 280 16
    Per Serving: 61 8 4 2 70 4
  • ktspac
    ktspac Posts: 32
    Options
    my favorite zucchini side dish goes on the grill... yum - on the menu for tomorrow as long as no rain in the forecast finally...

1 zucchini chopped (medium)
    1 cup bell pepper chopped (green, red or yellow - whatever is on sale and in the fridge)
    1/4 small onion chopped
    fat free zesty italian dressing - few tablespoons (calculated calories based on 4 T)

take large piece of foil (love my non-stick foil)
    place chopped veggies on top and drizzle dressing on top
    fold foil up to make a packet with veggies/dressing
    toss on the grill while rest of meal is cooking - usually grilled chicken, steak or pork - can go with almost anything - good mixed in with some rice or diced potatoes too

just put it in to figure out calories - 94 for recipe which is usually split between hubby and me (kids won't eat zucchini or peppers for whatever reason) and then 47 calories for each serving
  • romiga
    romiga Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hibachi Zucchini and Onions: Slice lengthwise then chop 1/4 inch thick, slice onions into thick lengths, season with garlic salt and garlic powder to taste. Add one tbsp of soy sauce (I use low sodium) and spray entire batch with butter Pam for about 4 sec. Now toss. Let it sit for about 5 mins. Heat wok or large skillet/griddle ( I use griddle) on med high and toss in veggies. Cook for about 4 minutes and serve, both veggies should still have some crunch to them. PS: onions optional
    Serves 1 (1 cup onion, 1 cup zucchini each). Calories: 158, w/o onion: approx: 95 cals. Tastes like: Veggies from Japanese steakhouse restaurants--minus the extra calories!
    I have a pic of it but IDK how to load it on here... :(
    Update: i made the pic my profile pic so u can see it.
    Enjoy!
  • Winged_Victory
    Options
    Came home early to make it, woohoo!

NAME OF RECIPE: Vegan Zucchini and Yellow Squash Pizza

INGREDIENTS:
    - Zucchini
    - Yellow squash
    - Red bell pepper
    - Pizza sauce
    - Pizza bread (I used 1/2 of a World Famous Barbarry Bread, but really, any kind of flat-ish bread will do... I'd suggest sprinkling on some sesame seeds if you use something other than the Barbarry Bread)
    - Red pepper flakes (optional, just if you want a little kick!)

DIRECTIONS:

Preliminary note: I have a ridiculous small oven so I used a baking dish that is about 2 inch deep as it is the only thing I have that fits in my oven. I think a cookie sheet would work great as well, but I don't have one. Would likely reduce the cooking time. Just peek in the oven and check on the thing.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Put your bread in your baking dish or on your cookie sheet. Spread pizza sauce on it. This you can do to your personal taste depending on if you like a lot or a little sauce--for this recipe, I used 1/2 cup. Sprinkle red pepper flakes onto the sauce.

Slice zucchini and yellow squash into thin slices. I ended up using about 1/3 of a medium yellow squash and 1/4 of a large zucchini. Put the slices on top or your pieces. You can do this however you like. I did mine alternating between zucchini and yellow squash. You can also overlap them if you like, but I didn't do that.

Slice red bell pepper into very thin slivers and cut the slivers in half. I ended up using about 1/4 of a medium red bell pepper. Put them on top too... right on top of the squash slices! I put them also in the gaps between the squash slices.

Put in over and cook for 25-30 mins (probably less for cookie sheet, just check on it).

CALORIES PER SERVING: The way I made it was 133 cals per serving

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 4

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: It tastes great. I'd definitely make it again! The World Famous Barbarry Bread has sesame seeds on it and I really think they give the pizza a unique, recommended flavor.

The only thing I would change next time is upping the amount of squash. I think next time, I would layer them with each slice overlapping onto the next slice.

PICTURE (optional):

2011-05-21_15-45-11_528.jpg

Edit: Figured out how to make picture not so huge.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    And voting begins!!
    http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

You have until Wednesday the 25th at 5PM PST to vote for your favorite zucchini dish!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    VOTE!