Iron deficiency - please share your tips

Options
safianat
safianat Posts: 24 Member
Dear MFP Friends, for a long time now I find out that my diet is very low on iron and accordingly hemoglobin at low level. What should I eat daily to hit the norm please except liver and meat?

Replies

• DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I take iron pills. (AND I eat meat . . . and I LOVE liver!!!)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    There are some fortified cereals on the market. I have some cornflakes that has 50% of the daily allowance per serving.

I can't take iron pills nor even a multi-vitamin with iron...just messes with my stomach. I am always struggling to get iron. I don't eat a lot of red meat...almost none so that limits what I can get from foods.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I take vitamins. The food I eat which is really healthy still does not have the iron in it needed to meet the daily values. I eat fish, chicken, beef, turkey, eggs, veggies, fruits, etc... and I still fall short.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Iron-Rich Foods
    Very good sources of heme iron, with 3.5 milligrams or more per serving, include:

3 ounces of beef or chicken liver
    3 ounces of clams, mollusks, or mussels
    3 ounces of oysters
    Good sources of heme iron, with 2.1 milligrams or more per serving, include:

3 ounces of cooked beef
    3 ounces of canned sardines, canned in oil
    3 ounces of cooked turkey
    Other sources of heme iron, with 0.7 milligrams or more per serving, include:

3 ounces of chicken
    3 ounces of halibut, haddock, perch, salmon, or tuna
    3 ounces of ham
    3 ounces of veal
    Iron in plant foods such as lentils, beans, and spinach is nonheme iron. This is the form of iron added to iron-enriched and iron-fortified foods. Our bodies are less efficient at absorbing nonheme iron, but most dietary iron is nonheme iron.
  • safianat
    Options
    I did take course of 3 months iron supplements, hemoglobin levels went up by one point even I could donate blood (was chuffed about it) but still don't like the idea of taking tablets all the time. . I understand that the best way would be all that liver - beef - animal thing but it's hard for me.. just don't like it..
    Thank you all for replying, I appreciate your help
  • safianat
    Options
    Thank you Annie, I will search for cereals
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Iron supplements are the easiest thing. I remember having to be prescribed ferrous sulfate as a kid because I was iron deficient and wouldn't eat enough meat (what an idiot, sheesh). It helped except I remember feeling like I was pooping tiny boulders.
  • safianat
    Options
    Exactly
  • safianat
    Options
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Beans and leafy greens. Beans have iron. The leafy greens have iron and vitamin C. Vit C helps you absorb iron. Also dried apricots.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Malt O Meal
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Cream of wheat is fortified quite a bit with iron. Look into eating parsley (lots), spinach, etc I think that not a lot of iron is absorbed though.

Can you get a period iron infusion to help? That's what I did haha.
  • michknd
    michknd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I take Ferrous Fumarate, much easier on the tummy. I only take it at night, coffee will counteract an iron supplement. Vitamin C is supposed to help but not one I can take. I have to take a supplement, my iron drops so low that I can barely walk. Have also been 1 step away from a transfusion so don't let it get too low. Apple Cider Vinegar also help to combat constipation. Hershey's dark cocoa powder is also a good source with very few calories. If you do the special extra dark, be forwarded that it makes things that come out darker as well ;)
  • kxforg
    kxforg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have too much iron. Its is a genetic thing called hemochromatosis, meaning I have to have less than 25% of my daily allowance I can tell you the things I avoid.

Cereal is tough for me, especially grape nuts and many high fiber cereals, because most have more than 25% of daily recommended. Most standard multivitamins have a high daily iron percentage especially ones for women. I also avoid vitamin C rich foods as this helps the body process and retain iron. Leafy greens, especially spinach, are good sources especially if paired with things like orange juice. You should avoid calcium when trying to absorb more iron naturally too as it can hinder absorbtion.

There are lots of tips about iron rich foods available so do your research, eat well, track your daily intake and take a multi-vitamin with high content.

Good luck.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I take VitIron C, it's a iron supplement plus Vitamin C to help you absorb iron from food.

Cream of wheat is a good source, I like to eat a savory kind with ham, cheese and salsa (has vitamin C!)

Spinach, V-8, fortified cereals, these are all good sources of iron and it's best friend, Vitamin C.
  • safianat
    Options
    :)<3 Thank you all very much!!!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Do you know what is causing the deficiency? If it is a health issue, you cannot avoid the supplements, until you can address the cause (if it is even treatable). If it just your diet, then figure out why. Is it a matter of eating no meat? What would you be ok with adding to your diet? Seafood? Eggs? Lentils? Spinach?