FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    1) walk to the taqueria
    2) order chips and guac
    3) :mrgreen:
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    To be honest I normally cheat...but I like it more than most "authentic" versions I've had/made -

Avocado + Salsa (whatever I have handy) + Squeeze of lemon/lime + dash of tobasco

Then on top of chicken, hamburger, a salad, or just plain :wink:
  • IAmAPearl
    IAmAPearl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Avocado, cilantro, tomato, salt, onion, jalepeno

But I'm happy with avocado, cilantro, and salt

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Avocado with the TrueLime lime/garlic/cilantro powder, salt, and a little fresh tomato salsa. Totally not authentic, but yummy.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Try the Trader Joe's guiltless guac made with Greek yogurt. It's substantially less calories and very yummy and all natural!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    IAmAPearl wrote: »

Yep - I've also seen recipes where steamed asparagus or peas are mixed in half and half with the avocado to cut down the calories, but I've never tried them.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Avocado, lemon, salt, and a bit of salsa.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I usually just mash avocado with lime juice. I'm too lazy to make the entire guac.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »
    Try the Trader Joe's guiltless guac made with Greek yogurt. It's substantially less calories and very yummy and all natural!

How is it less calories than just avocado?
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I tried Hungry Girl's Mock a Mole and it is good. But I usually make it like this: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/guacamole.html

Guacamole+2.JPG
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    mashed with

chopped red onion
    chopped tomato
    chopped jalapeno
    chopped cilantro
    dash of salt
    lime juice
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Avocado with chopped hard boiled egg, chopped onion, lime, salt and oregano.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    IAmAPearl wrote: »

But I'm happy with avocado, cilantro, and salt
    Me too! Sometimes will add a chopped tomato.
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just with chopped tomato, onion, and a pinch of garlic salt
  • NJbabe
    NJbabe Posts: 113 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    1 tbsp. finely chopped white onion
    1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tsp. sea salt
    (optional: 2 tsp. finely chopped jalapeño... or more - to taste)

I make a paste by grinding the ingredients mentioned above in the molcajete until they are very finely ground.

In addition, you need the following:

3 medium ripe but firm avocados
    3 tbsp. diced tomato (with the juice removed)
    2 more tbsp. fresh cilantro
    1 more tbsp. chopped white onion
    more sea salt

I leave a few large chunks of avocado. And I add the diced tomato + some extra sea salt last.

This recipe is from Rosa Mexicano in NYC. The place is famous for their awesome guacamole. ;)

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Chef here... And I was inspired to be one by the flavors and culture of Authentic Mexican cuisine.

Great Guacamole doesn't happen by chopping ingredients, throwing them into a bowl, and wishing for the best. You must build the flavors. Fresh, vibrant, succulent flavors... not processed, powdered, shortcut flavors.

Ingredients:

3 Haas avocados (black skin, semi-soft to touch, not too hard or soft)
    1/2 medium chopped white onion (not yellow, red, sweet, Vidalia, etc.)
    1/2 cup cilantro leaves (loosely packed and then minced very finely)
    1 very finely minced orange habanero or green serrano chile (jalapenos are far too mild)
    1 plum tomato
    1 lime
    Kosher salt

Procedure:

1) Using a mortar and pestle (http://guacamole-recipe.net/files/2011/01/molcajete-mortar-pestle.jpg), mash the following ingredients to an Emerald colored paste: 1 heaping tbsp. chopped white onion, 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves, 1 tsp. kosher salt, and very finely minced chiles (1/2 habanero or 1 whole serrano). You can keep the seeds. They won't harm you.

2) Chop tomato into 2-3 cm pieces, while removing & discarding the juice and seeds. Lightly season tomato with salt and set aside.

3) Slice the avocados in half lengthwise. Hack your knife into the seed, pry out, remove and discard. Slice the avocado while in the shell into cross sections. Scoop out with a large spoon into a large bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime over the avocado.

4) Add the chile paste mixture in step 1 to the avocado. Mash lightly with a cheap, handheld potato masher to combine the ingredients. Do not overmash into a toothpaste texture; you want some chunks.

5) Correct seasoning by adding more kosher salt or more lime juice, to taste. Garnish with the chopped tomato, extra onion, cilantro, and chile if desired.

It should look like this:

http://www.appforhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/guacamole.jpg
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious sixxpoint!

I've been making guac and enjoying it both at home and in Mexico for years...one of my tips to "lighten" it up if you want to be able to eat more quantity is to add some light sour cream (but plain yogurt would work too. I would just mix in a few tablespoons, taste it and then determine if you could add more or not. It is also a way to stretch the avocados if you don't have enough for those who will be eating it!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Make pico de gallo (equal parts diced onion and seeded Roma tomatoes, mixed with some finely diced jalapeño if I feel like it, cilantro, lime juice, bit of salt)
    Roughly mash avacado and mix in some of the pico de gallo you just made
    Taste and adjust, I usually wind up adding a bit more lime juice and maybe some more salt.
  • xraetulo
    xraetulo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Avocados, pace picante salsa, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and cayenne!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    avocado, white onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, squeeze of lime