Question for seasoned Joggers/Runners

Options
AshTrixxy
AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
I'm a relatively new jogger (I have worked myself up from walking to finally jogging longer and longer distances). I prefer street jogging opposed to treadmill jogging which is where my question comes in:
I know the obvious safety things like wearing reflective/light colored clothing, running with direction of traffic, letting someone know where you are going, etc. I'm a woman and if I jog alone, what are some safety measures I can put in place from outside influences? My biggest fear is being attacked by a stranger or abducted. Currently, I only jog with another person or with my dog (but I have a big dog that cannot run long distances). I'd like to build the confidence to really enjoy my solo time with just me and the pavement. Advice?

Replies

• hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I plan my route ahead of time so I'm not running in unfamiliar areas. Be aware of your surroundings. If something doesn't feel right, run faster.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @ashv4444 Perhaps check out local running stores or community centres for a running group you can join. In many urban centres there are a number available, often supporting runners from beginners on up at any pace you can imagine. You'll have fun - running can be very social - and will learn the lay of the land in your community. What's more such groups often have invited speakers and can be a wealth of knowledge useful to beginner and seasoned runner alike.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    One quick thing--generally it's advised to bike *with* traffic, but run/walk AGAINST it. Better to be able to see what is coming. :)

As for safety: I took a self defense class, run with my phone, and stick to certain areas. I typically run on the sidewalk so I'm not right near cars, and I *don't* engage with people while running. You might also ask around to find out what parks near you are considered safe(r)--depending on where you live, you might even find one where you can run alone but never be out of sight of at least one other runner/walker/cyclist.

Some runners like to carry pepper spray. If you're planning to, please take a self defense class that will show you how to use it properly so it won't be turned against you!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Don't wear headphones...or, if you must...at least just only wear one; i teach self defense and our biggest advice to women is to be aware. When you are listening to music, you are much less aware of what is going on around you.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of headphones myself while running and I'm male. The noise distracts you from the most likely hazard you'll face... Traffic (including cyclists). I also don't like not hearing my footfalls and feeling disconnected from my running.

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Don't run the same route on a predictable schedule.

I run in some fairly isolated areas and trails. I feel perfectly safe doing that because... what's the chances of someone waiting behind a big rock with a rag, chloroform and a set of ropes for that one random day that one random person might possibly run past? I stand a greater chance of having some weirdo follow me home from the grocery store or lurk in the shrubbery by my garage at night.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ashv4444 wrote: »
    My biggest fear is being attacked by a stranger or abducted.

Best bet is to actually look at the statistics and establish whether your concern is grounded in actual risk or influenced by news media reporting bias.

fwiw most crime statistics suggest that the group most at risk from interpersonal violence is young males, and that's heavily influenced by alcohol consumption.

The majority of sexual violence against women is from assailants known to them.

You've correctly identified that the biggest threat to you comes from vehicle traffic, but other than that a little bit of common sense really applies; maintain an awareness of your surroundings and if something doesn't feel right then put some space between you and what you think may be a risk.

The lunacy will be along shorty...
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Really, your risk of random attack or abduction is very, very low. But to keep yourself safe just in case, I'd second the recommendation of pepper spray or self-defense lessons. Personally, I worry more about traffic and animals than other people. I carry my phone on long runs more out of concern for my safety in case of sudden injury or in case I get lost. But there are apps you can get that will alert friends or family if you stop moving for a while, etc. if you want to check in to that.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    One quick thing--generally it's advised to bike *with* traffic, but run/walk AGAINST it. Better to be able to see what is coming. :)

This is important advice. And if you're running in a travel lane (not on the shoulder of the road), never let yourself get into a position where there is nowhere to your left to escape an inattentive driver (if you're in the US or somewhere else where one drives on the right).

There's safety in numbers. I would advise taking a look at the Strava global heat map, which will show you the most popular places to run in your city.