Faux Nutella Chocolate Spread

Options
trishlambert
trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
"Recipes for Gals in Figure and Bodybuilding" on Facebook posted this cool recipe today...haven't tried it yet, but it sounds great, and wanted to share it with y'all.

Faux Nutella Chocolate Spread

Makes 16 servings (heaping tbs each)

Ingredients:

1 ½ scoops Isopure Chocolate protein powder
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
6 oz (approx 1 cup) garbanzo beans
3 tbs sugar free honey (or to taste)
3 tbs almond butter (or hazelnut butter if you have it)
4 tbs unsweetened almond milk
½ tbs olive oil
1/8 tsp cinnamon
dash nutmeg

Directions:

Place beans, almond butter, milk, and oil in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. You'll need to stop and scrape down the sides several times over a course of 3-5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and continue to process until smooth.

You could increase the protein too by slowly adding more protein powder if desired.

This is good as is but if you have hazelnuts, hazelnut extract or hazelnut butter it would be even better!

Nutrition:

Per heaping tablespoon:

Calories 43
Total Fat 2.15g
Total Carbohydrate 4.01g
Sugars 0.38g
Protein 3.61g

Replies

• Adrianamdelacruz
    Options
    bump!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    real nutella is way better for you.

Sugar free honey? What IS that even? Honey IS sugar...

I had to google it. This is what it is:
    Ingredients:
    Maltitol Syrup, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Acesulfame K, Malic Acid.

My honey says
    Ingredients: Honey

It might be delicious, but my point is just...why not just eat nutella, since it's way more natural?
  • Babytoy22002
    Babytoy22002 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    look for justins chocolate hazelnut spread..it's organic and made with real nuts and dark chocolate. available at target/ wholefoods
  • JenFitGal
    JenFitGal Posts: 1
    Options
    You can definitely use real honey. Like with anything it's an option. You could also use agave nectar or stevia. It's totally up to you and what you have in your pantry. The reason I chose not to use real nutella is I was looking for a healthier option that had more protein. By adding whey protein to the recipe along with the garbanzo beans, you get that extra protein boost which when building muscle, helps. Regardless of which option you choose, I hope you enjoy it. I create and share my recipes out of love for food..not necessarily to be criticized for it. :) xoxo
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Oh I wasn't really criticizing. Like I said, I am sure it is delicious. I was just honestly wondering WHY would someone go through all the time and hassle to MAKE this when nutella is better for you right out of the jar,

Your answer (about the extra protein) is exactly the answer to my question. That makes sense. I would still choose to use natural honey though.
  • trishlambert
    Options
    You can definitely use real honey. Like with anything it's an option. You could also use agave nectar or stevia. It's totally up to you and what you have in your pantry. The reason I chose not to use real nutella is I was looking for a healthier option that had more protein. By adding whey protein to the recipe along with the garbanzo beans, you get that extra protein boost which when building muscle, helps. Regardless of which option you choose, I hope you enjoy it. I create and share my recipes out of love for food..not necessarily to be criticized for it. :) xoxo

I'm so glad you posted!

Nutella is NOT better for a person--or at least not for me--than this recipe. Way too many of its calories don't contribute to my good health. This recipe, besides being more healthy, is far fewer calories per serving, and I can get just as much enjoyment out of it as the store bought thing.

Thanks very much for posting on your Facebook page, and I'm sorry that it was received so poorly by some here. I'll be making it tonight and will enjoy it thoroughly...I have reluctantly taken Nutella off my eligible foods list, so was thrilled to see your recipe!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I can't have real nutella because of the dairy. I am so going to try this.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    This looks great.

I hate all the adds for nutella pretending it's healthy. The first ingredient is sugar.
  • katekentlaw
    katekentlaw Posts: 24
    Options
    i'm addicted to nutella, I've got to try this! Thanks!
  • trishlambert
    Options
    I made it and LOVE it! I had to take Nutella off my list of eatables because I can't stay away from it...at least with this recipe if I go nuts (no pun intended), I won't do too much damage.

AND...I have a delicious new dessert: Black Bottom Pielets (serves 6):

6 Keebler mini Ready Crust pie crusts
    6 T Faux Nutella
    1 pkg sugar free Jello Cheesecake Pudding

Make pudding per package directions (use fat free milk). Put one tablespoon of the "nutella" in the bottom of each crust. Fill the rest of the each crust with pudding. Refrigerate...and enjoy!

Calorie count per serving: 237 calories

That leaves some room for a dollop of Cool Whip!
  • Quieas
    Quieas Posts: 23
    Options
    I could have sworn Nutella doesn't actually have that much chocolate and that is it mostly Hazelnuts!

Either way, this recipe looks very good! Thank you so much for sharing. :smile:
  • LButterfly201
    LButterfly201 Posts: 164
    Options
    real nutella is way better for you.

Sugar free honey? What IS that even? Honey IS sugar...

I had to google it. This is what it is:
    Ingredients:
    Maltitol Syrup, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Acesulfame K, Malic Acid.

My honey says
    Ingredients: Honey

It might be delicious, but my point is just...why not just eat nutella, since it's way more natural?

Do you know that nutella is not as natural as you may think. It only has around 13% hazelnuts...meaning the rest is basically sugar. I do agree however, that if you're going to eat something like that, just go for it, and work it off later :)
  • NenaM812
    NenaM812 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Buuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmp!

I am a Nutella FIEND! I've been wanting to try the Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut version forever because my Wal Mart sells Justin's stuff in little packets as well as in jars. However, I haven't been able to find Chocolate Hazelnut in a packet, and I don't want to commit to a whole jar, in case I find myself with an empty jar in my left hand and a spoon in the other :tongue: