Popcorn?

Options
coryrood
coryrood Posts: 100 Member
Noticed on the bag of microwave popcorn that unpopped a serving is 2TBS for 120cal. but 1 cup of popped is 25 cal. the bag says it has 2.5 servings unpopped and 4.5 servings of popped, so in the whole bag there is 300 cal unpopped, or 112 cal popped. where did the other 178 cal go? can I really eat the entire bag for 112 cal?

Replies

• maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I don't use microwave popcorn but I would assume that they are accounting for a certain amount of kernels not popping and not being eaten. Either that or clever marketing to make serving sizes seem lower cal and confusing the consumer with weight vs cup, unpopped vs popped.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It seems like an error. Make your best guess and enjoy your popcorn.
  • coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    It seems like an error. Make your best guess and enjoy your popcorn.

I doubt it, it's the information off the package.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I hate figuring out packaged popcorn calories. I don't even math. Sorry, no help.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It seems like every brand of microwave popcorn has discrepancies in the popped vs unpopped calories. I've never been able to figure out why. I frequently eat the small "100 calories" bag, so logging that is no problem. But the larger bags...I have no idea
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the calories in the unpopped kernels unless you plan on eating them like that.

I would also double check how many cups of popped popcorn are in a serving before thinking the whole bag is only 112 calories. Frequently there's like 3 to 4 cups to a serving.

• damnfish
    damnfish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Asking the important questions. I don't think I can toss popcorn aside forever.
  • Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Never use microwaved bagged popcorn.. Chemicals in bag linings get into food when heated. Get a hot air popper, and then u eliminate the need for cooking oil, and can control the amount of salt and butter added
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I buy the kernels and pop them myself. Tastes way better and you can weight out what you're eating.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It is probably the average unpopped kernels and oil that sticks to the bag. The oil is where most of the calories in popcorn is and a good bit of it remains on the bag. So, just don't lick the bag! :p
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    ^I used to lick the bag :( so freaking terrible. I love popcorn soooo much the Boom Chicka Pop stuff at Target is the best in the world. Just sayin.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    karla24687 wrote: »
    ^I used to lick the bag :( so freaking terrible. I love popcorn soooo much the Boom Chicka Pop stuff at Target is the best in the world. Just sayin.

I always see that popcorn and wonder how it tastes. Is it super salty?

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    why is popcorn one of the most confusing foods out there- seriously- Y U SO HARD POPCORN!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    seriously- Y U SO HARD POPCORN!

Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

• Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    I buy the kernels and pop them myself. Tastes way better and you can weight out what you're eating.

This! I enjoy popping my own popcorn
  • HerbaFit1
    HerbaFit1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Curtez wrote: »
    Never use microwaved bagged popcorn.. Chemicals in bag linings get into food when heated. Get a hot air popper, and then u eliminate the need for cooking oil, and can control the amount of salt and butter added

• melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I either pop on the stove, air pop, or eat Skinny Pop. I like skinny pop more then boom chicka pop, lol.
  • kxforg
    kxforg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weigh the unpopped, so I know my serving, then use a pan and olive oil to pop my corn. Then I use just a touch of olive oil and infused salt to add tons of flavor...its soo good I don't miss my orvil in the bag. I also use garlic powder, dill and other dried spices and herbs to make different flavors.