cereal???

Options
CEREAL
Good or bad for you or does it depend on what kind you buy??

Replies

• monoxidechick
    monoxidechick Posts: 339
    Options
    of course it depends on what kind you buy
  • Babytoy22002
    Babytoy22002 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    kashi brands are good. they have whole grains, fiber etc
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    depend on the kind.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Depends on the kind and what your nutritional goals are. In general, I find that most are "bad" for me. There are a few that are "good" for me. My favorite healthy cereal? Kashi Go Lean with soy twigs, honey puffs, and something else (it's got a long name), but 1 cup has (I think) 160 calories, 10 g fiber, 9 g protein, and 6 g sugar. It doesn't taste half bad with almond milk.
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal, quite a bit actually. I eat whatever kind I crave as long as I have enough calories to cover it. I measure it out and enjoy!!! :drinker:
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Irish Oatmeal for breakfast and add 1/4 cup granola. With granola I don't have to add sugar. Good fix for breakfast. Reading labels can give you a good idea what the target group is :tongue:
  • January91968
    Options
    I eat special K
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    Fact:

When buying cereal, skip brands that have sugar listed as the first or second ingredient. Those products contain too much sweetener to be healthy. (Source: www.runnersworld.com)
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    Fact:

When buying cereal, skip brands that have sugar listed as the first or second ingredient. Those products contain too much sweetener to be healthy. (Source: www.runnersworld.com)
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I eat honey bunches of oats with almond milk... all together its around 150 and the sugar in the cereal is low!
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I eat Kashi Go Lean. It seems to be best overall for me for fiber, calories, protein and sodium. Not the most exciting cereal, compared to the old favorites, but still satisfys my cereal craving for the most part.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I eat Kashi Go Lean. It seems to be best overall for me for fiber, calories, protein and sodium. Not the most exciting cereal, compared to the old favorites, but still satisfys my cereal craving for the most part.

I love Kashi Go Lean with stevia, almond milk, and a heaping teaspoon of cinnamon. I love cinnamon.. :)
  • keschuh79
    keschuh79 Posts: 29
    Options
    If you're a big fan of cereal and don't mind spending extra money on all natural deliciousness, meandgoji.com makes custom artisanal cereal. I just happened upon it in an online news article about how "design your own" or customizable products like chocolate, cereal, etc, are becoming huge. With meandgoji you can choose your own ingredients or pick from their set of recipes to enjoy a cereal more suited to your tastes. If you're a big cereal fan, I highly recommend the splurge. It's not something I eat daily, but it's a nice morning treat or great fuel for a workout if I'm feeling a bit lethargic.
  • stylin
    stylin Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    insulin spikes caused by bad carb sources (ex : cereals) help produce fat and also boosting troponin which is a precursor to serotonin.
    Sugar converts to fat really easily & 2% milk has 9g of sugar a serving.

I personally have quaker old fashioned oats with water. After it's finished cooking I mix in whey protein powder for flavoring.
    or have 2 hard boiled eggs.
  • gpjuicy69
    gpjuicy69 Posts: 20
    Options
    I love Kashi go lean so good, pretty much all Kashi cereals taste great. I would stay away from ones loaded with sugar and all that junk of course. Try to stick with natural brands and then I dont think it's too bad for you.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I just went through the same dilemma! lol

This helped me out a little: http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/great-cereal-spectrum#sharetagsfocus

However, after standing in the cereal aisle for a long time reading the labels on all the "healthy" cereals, I ended up with Special K Vanilla Almond and All Bran Buds to add more fiber.
    I biggest concerns was finding a cereal with a good balance of calories, fat, carbs, sugar and fiber.

Hope this helps. :)
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I do think some cereals are slightly good for you. But I am not so sure they are good as a breakfast food. Well, you do get protien from the milk, as long as you put enough in and drink the milk. It can be a balanced breakfast if made with milk and fruit. I have slowly started eating things with more protien for breakfast. Like a vitatop with peanut butter or an omlette. Sprinkling cereal on yogurt could be good too.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My favs are Special K Protein Plus (100 cal, 10 g protein, 5 g fiber) or Fiber One cereal (14 g fiber)....I usually take 1/2 the serving and mix it with yogurt. I do stay away from ceral most of the time b/c I like to eat in bulk and you can only have a small serving of cereal for the calories. I would rather have 1/2 cup of egg beaters and 2 slices of turkey bacon!! About the same amount of caloires, more protein and more to eat!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    insulin spikes caused by bad carb sources (ex : cereals) help produce fat and also boosting troponin which is a precursor to serotonin.
    Sugar converts to fat really easily & 2% milk has 9g of sugar a serving.

Yeah that. I don't recommend cereal for anyone. Have some delicious fat & protein instead!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I like cold cereal a lot. My favorite is grape nuts but I also like the chocolatey cereals with a little milk as a dessert. I think there are better options than cold cereals. but we eat them because they're easy and tasty.

IMHO, it's a better option to actually just cook up some cracked grains, oats or rice (or all three together yummeee) in some water and add a little salt and maybe some molasses or honey.

The cracked grains that you have to cook yourself are in a more natural state and less processed and in my mind a better option. I'm not really sure how they make the cold cereals. Even if it's a whole grain cereal like Grapenuts, I'm not sure that it hasn't been processed with super high heat, or that maybe everything has been stripped out of it and then added back in. I'm not saying that this is in fact what happened.. just that I don't know enough about the process to be sure that this isn't how they do it. ALSO, most of the cereals have BHT... a few don't but the majority do.

I do still eat cold cereal but I don't consider it to be all that healthy and it is something I'm trying to cut out.