Poledancing! How's that for strength traning?

Options
So I started poledancing/polefitness 2 months ago now, and god I am loving it. It's fantastic, it's been making me feel so much better about myself, my appearance and all. I definitely got a looot more flexible and I toned up my muscles all over quite a bit! (especially my arms and thighs/legs).
So I was wondering, I've been doing 1 one-hour beginner class per week, and this week I'm starting to go with 2 classes/week (will keep it that way, and maybe 3 per week starting from july since I'm on vacation) , could that possibly count as an actual strength training/lifting/whatever workout, the same way as if I followed some kinda muscle-toning/bulking program or gym session? I sure would love to get an athletic body (I look good right now, but I totally lack abs), and would wanna know if I'm taking the right path to it all!
(and also, maybe if anyone has a clue of how many calories are burned per hour during pole, that could totally help as well ;) )

Thanks!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Imo, I wouldn't count pole dancing as strength training.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I would think you could track it in MFP (if it's not in there) as something like Pilates which is under the cardio section. I do it a couple of times a week and it is strength building but you use your own body weight as resistance instead of weights. I think Pole dancing looks like hard work, and those that are good at it, look super strong and lean. Good for you! Have fun with it and the results your seeing!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    Pole dancing isn't traditional strength training, but you try hanging by your hands and tell me you don't need a strong grip, shoulders and core.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not really, no
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes it is strength training.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Maybe. But it's certainly not the same as a heavy lifting or bulking program.

And if you want to see your abs, you're going to have to focus on fat loss.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No idea but go you! I'd love to try it.
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    In the same league as lifting heavy, no - if you are doing less dancing and more of the gymnastic work, though, I'd say it is certainly in the same area as body weight exercises for resistance training! I mean, I would certainly not say that this lady https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-soX5Yyw-c or this gentleman (!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLKzD5ixQHom-YdJtRIcjYnblWyAPbYv6-&v=1HMbJbhw9Qo aren't strong! (safe for work videos, y'all!)

I've been thinking about trying it, my cousin is super into it and it does look like so much fun.
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HMbJbhw9Qo&index=4&list=PLKzD5ixQHom-YdJtRIcjYnblWyAPbYv6-
    darnit, that second video wasn't the one I wanted, this one! With the gentleman!
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    cresyluna wrote: »
    In the same league as lifting heavy, no - if you are doing less dancing and more of the gymnastic work, though, I'd say it is certainly in the same area as body weight exercises for resistance training!

Yeah, we usually don't do much dancing, maybe a 10 mins at the end of throwing off a choregraphy with the moves we practiced during the class, but otherwise we spend the whole time learning moves and doing them over and over and over - it's quite some work lol
  • lucindajonesmfp
    lucindajonesmfp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Iv been doing it for just over a year and what an amazing exercise it is...I would say it's definitely strength training...u don't realise the muscles used when doing it. I'll never forget the pain I felt after my first class also the bruises lol...keep up the good work...feel free to add me
  • FauxFoxx
    FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Lol, I think it's hilarious that they are teaching pole fitness classes. I've been working out and getting paid for it for years!
  • lucindajonesmfp
    lucindajonesmfp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wish I had started it years ago I would have definitely taken it up as a career....but never started till I was 37 lol....its the best thing ever
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight workouts are good for building strength and Pole Dancing is definitely in that category, but my feeling is you really need to also be doing strength training with weights. I recently got certified as an Aqua Pole instructor and my sense was I was only able to do most of the movements because I already had strength to draw on.

28cm09taaea5.jpg
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think pole dancing is a straight up strength training routine.

Maybe, it's just me that doesn't get it. Yes I have been a gym rat and weights are great if you can access them. They are not the end all be all method of strength training to gain muscle mass and strength. For a very long time calisthenics has existed, for those of us that had buzzed cut gym teachers when in school as we grew up going to a Phys Ed class. Now we have TRX, which I have used when weights could not be brought to where we were. All are body weight only exercise systems. You can build muscle tone, size and strength by doing these types of exercises. I developed the coveted V-shape by doing push-ups in a dozen different variations, pull-ups and quite a few other body weight exercises. Before I ever hit a weight room I already had a 54 inch chest and needed very little time with barbells to catch up with those who were gym rats forever. As a bonus I was more flexible with a far better range of motion. Just saying, the body is the most easily accessible weight for strength training.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... but my feeling is you really need to also be doing strength training with weights.

There is a school of thought that for some people bodyweight resistance work is going to be more challenging than using weights. If, for example, the shoulder and chest strength isn't enough to do a press up with good form then it's easier to use a barbell chest press to build the strength.

Much training in the Anglophone militaries is bodyweight dominant as that's easy to facilitate, practical and appropriate for the employment.

But to address the original point, yes pole fitness is quite easily strength training, as there is a lot of bodyweight lifting involved.

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Great videos! Great work-out! Gymnastics/Acrobatics. Total body workout.
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone! I'm glad I got feedback from so many people, it helps building an opinion on my own with all the different things being said! I guess I can say I'm good sticking to pole haha, perhaps I'll try going to the gym someday if I ever find the time but at least it can kinda make up for it ;)