Anyone not using weight loss surgery or stimulants?

Options

Replies

• BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I lost 260lbs total without surgery or drugs. It took me about 2 years of eating less and moving more. I ate 3 meals a day, no snacking, and worked out at the gym 4-5 days a week.

I have now maintained that loss for 3 years while working on adding lean muscle mass.

I would start by tracking what you eat now, and then start reducing that amount till you start losing weight. Tracking can be tough at first, but it takes me less than 5 minutes a day now, which is more than worth it!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    RyaJen wrote: »
    New here! People keep writing about their surgery or medications they are taking that helped them lose weight. My Dr. won't perscribe me any medication to lose weight because of high blood pressure. He also said I have to be over 100 lbs. over to be considered for surgery. But according to some charts I am pretty close. Any advice?
    If you want to weigh 100 lbs less than you do, you need to live the lifestyle of a person who weighs 100 lbs less than you do. Not just for a few weeks or months, but for however long you actually wish to stay at that weight. I don't see how anyone can expect pills or surgery to accomplish that for you.
  • mukbjl
    mukbjl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I went from 360 to now at 238 the right way no surgery or pills over the course of the last 10 months. I am now dropping about 1lb a week now that i am really working on building/maintining muscle while i do the weight loss.
    Just exercise in eating like everyone else has said will really get you to were you need to be. You need to make sure that you are mentally ready to change and jumping into pills or a surgery will not help get you into the right mental state it can really lead yourself down worse than when you started.
    That really is the best way to go about it. The best thing i bought was a scale and i use that all the time. If i really feel like monitoring close i count the weight of everything or i can now just eyeball for the most part.

If you have any questions i am more than willing to help give any information that i have learned thus far.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I lost 100+ all natural, following Weight Watchers. Maintaining with MFP. It was slow and steady. I also worked out daily. In the beginning, back in 2011 I could barely do 15 minutes. May 3, 2015, I ran a half marathon. You can do it.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Eat less and find an activity you love. Went from a size 14-16 to 0-2 doing just that.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight the old fashioned way. Just eat less and move more.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have 230 pounds total to lose, and it's almost a year to the day that I joined MFP and have lost 85 so far. No surgery, no pills. It's a long road but you can do it the natural way. Patience and diligence.
  • ashrinkingqueen
    ashrinkingqueen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have lost 31.6 pounds. I still have another 119 to lose, but I am doing it without pills or surgery. Just eating clean and working out! Good Luck to you! :)
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I've lost 130lbs without any meds or WLS. I'm waiting for an op and have been asked to lose another 56lbs, and NOW they offer me a gastric band. I've declined it as I got myself into this situation without help, so I'm getting out of it without help. That way I know I can finally feel proud of myself for achieving something I never thought I could do.

It's not been an easy road, but diet and exercise, even just regular walking, will achieve the goal.

Good luck on your journey :)
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Lost around 80 lbs a few years back with counting calories (weighing everything on a digital food scale) and moving more (not mandatory for weightloss but highly beneficial, start out slow). Maintained that, after a while without logging my food anymore. Now back to lose a bit more and 'tone' (body recomposition).

Be aware that it will take time—you didn't gain it in a day, you won't lose it in a day. Also, weight loss isn't linear so don't be discouraged if your weight fluctuates.

I'll leave you a few helpful posts to start out:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    burtonvdp wrote: »
    Honestly I've seen too many people gain their weight back after surgery and have additional problems to boot. Even after surgery (at least the ones i have seen) you still have to watch what you eat for the rest of your life. So you might as well just go straight to watching what you eat. There are plenty of people here that needed to lose more than 100lbs and did it without pills or surgery. IMHO start a calorie diet that fits your lifestyle. For example I eat fast food a few times a week. When I do I just pick places and things on the menu that fit my calorie limit for the day.... Is it the best way? No, but is it better than not doing it? Hell yes! If you can do any exercise, add that into your routine as well! I have some lower back problems so I'm using a recumbent bike and machines for my weight lifting.

Biggest thing of all give it time and track you size not weight (Especially if you work out)!

This.

• lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    120 lbs here just with exercise and watching what i eat. Feel free to add me :)
  • dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Down 156 pounds in 15 months using CICO
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    No way I would ever consider surgery and the only stimulant in my life is the coffee I drink at breakfast and lunch. Down 20 pounds so far with just calorie tracking.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    If you have TLC watch "My 600lb Life", it will really inspire you. Its one of the things I use to tell myself that I don't need to let my self go that far.I need to do something now so I don't have to take meds or have surgery to lose weight. I'm following Cambridge Weight Plan and doing lots of exercise. Feeling fab and losing weight!
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    lost over 120 pounds by eating less calories then i consume.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Extra86 wrote: »
    New here! People keep writing about their surgery or medications they are taking that helped them lose weight. My Dr. won't perscribe me any medication to lose weight because of high blood pressure. He also said I have to be over 100 lbs. over to be considered for surgery. But according to some charts I am pretty close. Any advice?

Of course we do it without this stuff. I lost 125 lbs this way.

Move more.

Eat less.

Stay hydrated.

Ta da!
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm down 82# with simply eating less and moving more. I have about 40# to go.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't know what posts you're reading - the vast, vast majority of success stories on here were without WLS or pills, and pills get shouted down pretty hard.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I don't know what posts you're reading - the vast, vast majority of success stories on here were without WLS or pills, and pills get shouted down pretty hard.

This ^^^.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!