Ruining a good day

Options
I'll be really good for breakfast, lunch & tea then ruin my day with a sugar loaded snack! And I can't usually stop at one, yesterday was 3 jam donoughts and today 2 blueberry muffins. Absolutely no will power! Fed up.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You seem to eat low calorie meals earlier in the day and then more later. My suggestion is to eat more earlier in the day so that you are not as hungry later in the day.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, but not quite the same. I eat really healthy for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but the time between breakfast and lunch is awful. I could eat the entire time. I have tried eating more for breakfast, but that doesn't seem to help. I still want to snack until lunch. Then I eat lunch, I am good until dinner.
  • dfiliatre
    dfiliatre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You seem to eat low calorie meals earlier in the day and then more later. My suggestion is to eat more earlier in the day so that you are not as hungry later in the day.

Or try finding something healthier that will still satisfy that sweet tooth. I use a white chocolate raspberry protein bar.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough throughout the day so that you aren't ravenous come evening? Consider changing your eating habits to give yourself more to eat in the evening.

Are you restricting too much?

How are you getting these tempting foods? Are they in the house? Get rid of them if you can't resist and find lower calorie alternatives.
  • Mrslldavies
    Mrslldavies Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone- tomorrow I will try eating a more calorific breakfast and lunch and see how I go. It's not that I have the food in the house and it's tempting me, I'm going to the shop and buying it!
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Put your specific goal On the fridge, In your wallet, On the mirror. The only way to lose the weight is "in the kitchen". You will need to dig deep. Maybe seeing your goal when paying for the over indulgences will help to say no and not buy them.
    We all have days when we fall, but bottom line is you will need to dig deep.

Suggestion: What really helps me when I am feeling really ravenous is boiled eggs. One or two (70 cals each) really takes the edge off and fills me. It has to be boiled... scrambled, fried, poached just doesn't do the same. This is not a suggestion for sweet replacement, just filling to take hunger edge off.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to find some sweet treats that fit within your plan and help you meet your nutritional goals and have one every day. For example, if you like chocolate milk, it can be a good way to add some protein to your day. Kashi bars are also really tasty and I like them as a decent protein source (I like the chocolate almond sea salt and dark mocha almond varieties--clearly I like chocolate :) .)
  • Emil07
    Emil07 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What do you eat for bfast and lunch ?
  • Mrslldavies
    Options
    Hi I usually have a boiled egg & slice of toast for breakfast then soup/crackers&light cheese/salad for lunch.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have found that I tend to get super bad cravings for anything loaded with sugar (cake, biscuits, a different kind of cake) late in the evenings; however, I've noticed that this happens when I'm tired, and actually my body is telling me I need sleep. However, I hate going to bed early (despite having to get up at 5:30am) so I mistake that feeling for 'need sugar' and end up binging. I've realized that rather than stuffing my body full of sugar in an effort to stay awake, I should just listen to what my body really needs and go to sleep. Have you noticed if there is anything that triggers your 'want' for sugary things, maybe something you aren't consciously aware of? Just a thought :)
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Looking through your diary, it looks like you usually stay within your daily allotment of calories. That's not a bad thing.
  • Mrslldavies
    Options
    I have found that I tend to get super bad cravings for anything loaded with sugar (cake, biscuits, a different kind of cake) late in the evenings; however, I've noticed that this happens when I'm tired, and actually my body is telling me I need sleep. However, I hate going to bed early (despite having to get up at 5:30am) so I mistake that feeling for 'need sugar' and end up binging. I've realized that rather than stuffing my body full of sugar in an effort to stay awake, I should just listen to what my body really needs and go to sleep. Have you noticed if there is anything that triggers your 'want' for sugary things, maybe something you aren't consciously aware of? Just a thought :)

Hi, thanks for your comment- never really thought of it like that to be honest! But yes maybe that might be a part of it!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Aside from eating bigger meals, I find that eating a sweet treat mid day will help ease the night cravings for them. If I ignore my craving for something sweet and leave it for later on in the day, 9/10 times I eat more than if I have it earlier.
  • kpierce7188
    kpierce7188 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel I do so good and then I completely cave. Last night I polished a half a tray of German chocolate brownies! I couldn't have just one little slice... I try not to let my slip up discourage me... It helps to remove the sugary goodness from the house and replace it with fresh fruit...if it's not there tempting me I do fairly well until I get my will power back under control.
  • Mrslldavies
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel I do so good and then I completely cave. Last night I polished a half a tray of German chocolate brownies! I couldn't have just one little slice... I try not to let my slip up discourage me... It helps to remove the sugary goodness from the house and replace it with fresh fruit...if it's not there tempting me I do fairly well until I get my will power back under control.

It's so frustrating isn't it when you've tried hard all day then something (greed in my case) takes over!

• mccanns725
    mccanns725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    In order to not give in to the craving for treats but not feel SO deprived I have a reward system. Doesn't work for everyone, but I get two Cheat days a month. If I don't keep up my exercise level I lose a cheat day. And on cheat days I don't go nuts (usually). But I feel better if I say I can't have that treat today but I can have it later.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Just try walking past the shop. It gets easier to say no each time. If you find yourself there, pick a favorite instead of 5.

I eat chocolate at the end of every day to keep my sanity and have something to look forward to :)
  • charleykayesmom
    charleykayesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I used to have this same problem! I would just cimpletely binge on sugar foods after work! Ugh. Totally relate!!
  • terrimarcus2014
    terrimarcus2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Keep almonds around. A handful will stabilize the blood sugar that is dipping and causing you to crave sugar. Just have some and give it a few minutes. The craving should disappear. (I know having something bad you REALLY want if more fun, but think about how it will make you feel later. Guilty, energy crash, ect)
  • GunnDancer
    GunnDancer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have honestly found I am less tempted if I eat a multiple small meals throughout the whole day instead of "breakfast/lunch/dinner" and I stick to protein or fiber heavy "treats" that keep me full.