No self control Help me!

Options
I have such an issue with staying on track and with self control. I always seem to need instant gratification to help get me through, and obviously weight loss isn't that simple. Any advice from people who have experienced this? I really want to reach my goals and follow through with this!

Replies

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Its takes deep down sheer determination to lose weight. It's something you need to convince yourself of. It's definitely not easy. Weight doesn't come off overnight, unless you're in the super obese category. If not, then you'll have to learn to be happy with a pound a week, and the more you lose then 1/2 lb. to 1/4 loss in a week. If you can't convince yourself that this is what you need to do, then no one else can convince you to stay with it.

The closer you are to goal weight the slower it comes off. So your gratification comes from the marathon and not the sprint.

If you really want something that bad you'll move mountains to get it.

Good Luck
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I.F. 18/6 really helps me. I don't eat outside the window of 3:00 to 9:00. Tonight I was so glad it was after nine when my daughter came down to get some of her birthday cake. I'm already over for the day but then I didn't log my yard work. If I'm really hungry sometimes I eat something early, but not that often.
  • hswoo030
    hswoo030 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First part to having good willpower is to figure out why you want to lose the weight. Is it for health reasons or vanity? You will come back to this reason often to give yourself strength. For me it is for vanity, I am just sick of being overweight. To give me strength I look at pictures of people to see what I want to achieve. It help me visualize myself and give me willpower.

Second part just comes from a good nutritious diet, eat smart. I tried just counting calories and just eating whatever. It didn't work for me because my diet was crap eating simple carbs that left me always hungry and leaving room for me to always want to cheat on my diet. Eating smart is to instead of having a white toast. You can eat two wheat toast get better nutrition and stay fuller longer. Another example is instead for have a salad of iceberg lettuce, which mostly water, eat spinich or kale. Much more nutritious and you don't get hungry as fast. Eating good food high in protein and fat really helps me stay full too. And I am not talking about eating a cheeseburger.

Hope this helps, it works for me down 18lbs and going. Good luck.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think perceived success begets success. If you think you're doing well, you'll continue to do well. So make sure you set goals that you can achieve.

You don't have much weight to lose. Only 9 pounds by your ticker. That means your eating habits aren't THAT bad. You don't need to make a complete overhaul of all your habits, just slight adjustments. Make sure your weight loss goal is set to a half pound a week. You don't have enough excess weight to support a higher goal. That will give you more calories than if you're aiming for one or two pounds a week, and you'll be able to fit treats and food you enjoy into your day.

Track your progress through more than just the number on the scale. I like fitness goals (running faster or longer, lifting heavier), progress photos, and how clothes fit.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Set yourself much much smaller goals, (don't need to be weight related). Even wrote a list of things you should be or want to do, you'll get the gratification of having done the small goals much faster and much more frequently.

Works for me, I feel amazing when I hit a big goal but the little goals keep me on track.
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    I.F. 18/6 really helps me. I don't eat outside the window of 3:00 to 9:00. Tonight I was so glad it was after nine when my daughter came down to get some of her birthday cake. I'm already over for the day but then I didn't log my yard work. If I'm really hungry sometimes I eat something early, but not that often.

What is I. F. 18/6?
  • krismurphydc
    krismurphydc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way but I had to take the pressure off of myself and celebrate the little victories. I didn't put restrictions on myself I just tried to make better choices when grocery shopping or eating out and eventually I started to see the impact of those choices so I kept it going. If you have a bad meal or a bad day that's lIfe, we all have them you have to put it behind you and KEEP GOING.
  • fionadost
    fionadost Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Some really sound advice here. I agree that you need to find what motivates you and try to keep that as a buffer when the time arises. My motivation should be that 3/4 is unwearable, but what is motivating me is the wager me and my boyfriend made to lose 15kg (33lb) first - the prize being flights to Bali paid. So I've gotten serious with Jenny Craig for weekly weigh ins and CANNOT walk down the lolly isle just yet. If I can just get on the treadmill then that is a success. Once I'm on I'm fine... It's just pushing past the excuses in my mind. I hope his has helped. I would love to help you as diet buddy and share stories of you haven't been too bombarded. There are a lot of great people here :) I will be logging on each day. Good luck with your quest xx Fiona
  • neil11111
    neil11111 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Baby steps lead to success you can build on. A short 15 to 20 minute walk after each meal to kick your metabolism into gear will show results quickly. Trying not to eat after 7pm also helps. Calories consumed after 7 usually go straight to fat storage. Stretching that evening walk to 40 minutes can keep your body burning calories all night while you sleep. You can win this battle!!!!!!
  • charleykayesmom
    charleykayesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Find your "why". Why do you want this. Write it down! Make a list of goals but make them small ones at first! :)