Why haven't I lost any weight?

I am 43, female, 7 months post partial hysterectomy. Prior to that I'd been given Lupron Depot and gained 30 lbs. The last 2+ weeks I have been very carefully monitoring my calories and workouts (which are long, challenging and all cardio.) Of the last 14 days I went over 1200 calories net only twice (one at 1600 on a day I had a migrain and didnt work out, and Mother's Day, where I just didn't track, but didn't go crazy either.) I weighed myself today and I have not lost an ounce. I'm frustrated and discouraged. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    It’s only been a couple of weeks - that’s not very long, so you do have to be patient. Chances are you’re right on track. However:

1. Are you tracking your food accurately: weighing all solids, cups for liquids, logging everything including drinks, no size estimations (e.g. medium banana)?
    2. Are you eating back exercise calories: they tend to be overestimated, so most people only eat back about 50-75%
    3. How long has it been: if you’ve been exercising, you could be holding on to water weight / glycogen for a few weeks

You say you do all cardio - I’d recommend you consider some weight training. It helps hold on to muscle mass during weight loss, along with eating a good amount of protein.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Also, are you drinking enough water? It always makes a great difference in my losses (or not!)
  • mulderitsme
    mulderitsme Posts: 8 Member
    I am eating a lot of protein and drinking plenty of water. I don't weigh my food, but I've not really been "eating back" the majority of calories worked off. I want to add strength training I have only been very consistent with doing challenging cardio recently. 13 of the last 15 days. I've done strength 2/15. I enjoy about a 3.5 pace on the treadmill, varying the incline, for 45 min. then do a reclining bike, alternating exertion with rest in 40 second intervals.I know I am prone to injury due to loose ligaments, so, while I know I have to do more strength, it scares me a little.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Sounds like water retention to me. Your muscles will hold onto water to repair them after rigorous exercise. Just up your water intake and chill. Also, if you're not measuring your food via food scale, may need to start doing that as measuring cups and "eyeballing" isn't very accurate.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    If you don't weigh your food, how do you know how much you are eating?
  • coachpiper
    coachpiper Posts: 1 Member
    Eating back calories. I'm new to this, can you share more about this? Thanks in advance.
  • Emilia777
    edited May 2015
    I am eating a lot of protein and drinking plenty of water. I don't weigh my food, but I've not really been "eating back" the majority of calories worked off. I want to add strength training I have only been very consistent with doing challenging cardio recently. 13 of the last 15 days. I've done strength 2/15. I enjoy about a 3.5 pace on the treadmill, varying the incline, for 45 min. then do a reclining bike, alternating exertion with rest in 40 second intervals.I know I am prone to injury due to loose ligaments, so, while I know I have to do more strength, it scares me a little.

Good on you for sticking to it so consistently - I barely do any cardio lol. If you have known ligament considerations, I’d highly recommend you try some strength training, with the advice of a doc and possibly personal trainer to teach you proper form. I think you’ll love how strong you will get!

You might want to consider weighing your food, though. It really makes a big difference.

Don’t be discouraged - you’ll get there!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you don't weigh your food, how do you know how much you are eating?

This
  • Taymak23
    Taymak23 Posts: 6 Member
    I am having the same problem! I am counting every single calorie I put in my body from packets of flavoring to meals. I've been keeping it under 1300 calories, mostly staying at 1000 a day and haven't lost anything. With my weight I'm supposed to have 1600 to lose weight 1-2 pounds a week, 1277 to lose weight fast. Only thing I can think of is I'm not meeting my calorie intake to not put my body in starvation mode. I read over time your body gets used to the exercise you do making it harder to lose so I am gradually adding it in as I go instead of going full force. First week I lost 12 pounds(I'm sure a lot of that was water retention). This is my second week and all week I have lost nothing.
  • Emilia777
    Taymak23 wrote: »
    I am having the same problem! I am counting every single calorie I put in my body from packets of flavoring to meals. I've been keeping it under 1300 calories, mostly staying at 1000 a day and haven't lost anything. With my weight I'm supposed to have 1600 to lose weight 1-2 pounds a week, 1277 to lose weight fast. Only thing I can think of is I'm not meeting my calorie intake to not put my body in starvation mode. I read over time your body gets used to the exercise you do making it harder to lose so I am gradually adding it in as I go instead of going full force. First week I lost 12 pounds(I'm sure a lot of that was water retention). This is my second week and all week I have lost nothing.

No and no. There is no starvation mode- it’s a myth. Our bodies don’t get used to exercise, but we do burn fewer calories as we lose weight, by virtue of being smaller. Finally, weight loss if not linear, and results don’t happen magically at the end of each week.

Also, don’t under-eat. You should eat to your goal, though it’s best not to eat all of the exercise calories back.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

Ok I hadn't seen that one before... Great one! Love that guy. Bookmarked it for reference!
  • mulderitsme
    mulderitsme Posts: 8 Member
    I shop and cook for a large family on a tight budget. I prepare my own separate meals when I can, and am making healthy changes, but some things don't fit with what my life is, and have to be ok with that, because I love my life. I am old enough to know that the changes I make have to work for me long term, or what's the point. I am actively trying not to obsess, just be healthy. I am not planning to become a fitness guru, I just want to lose the weight gained on the medication. I am going to increase my water. I realized In reading this that while I drink my 8 glasses, I haven't added more for whats lost In exercise. I'll add in some easy strength this week. I'll ask someone at the gym for help on that. I appreciate the input!