Plateau? Losing the last 10 pounds.

Options
karenuu
karenuu Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2015 in Motivation and Support
Anyone else out there who have experienced plateaus? How do you get over them? I have lost 25 pounds in a year (a lot to me!) and I have now stalled since March (gained a few, lost a few, generally stayed the same). It is frustrating as I weigh and log everything I eat and drink. I eat 1350-1500 calories a day (25% fat, 25% protein, 50% carbs, 25g fiber, give or take), exercise 2-3x cardio, 1-2 times weights a week, drinking lots of water and the last 10 pounds just aren't coming off and inches aren't changing either.

I will be the first to admit, certainly they are vanity pounds. All the same, anyone who is not horribly mal-nutritioned should surely lose something at these levels.
Have anyone else overcome plateaus somehow, by upping/lowering calories, changing training schedules or anything like this?

I appreciate all replies :)

Female, 167 cm 135 pounds.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    karenuu wrote: »
    Anyone else out there who have experienced plateaus? How do you get over them? I have lost 25 pounds in a year (a lot to me!) and I have now stalled since March (gained a few, lost a few, generally stayed the same). It is frustrating as I weigh and log everything I eat and drink. I eat 1350-1500 calories a day (25% fat, 25% protein, 50% carbs, 25g fiber, give or take), exercise 2-3x cardio, 1-2 times weights a week, drinking lots of water and the last 10 pounds just aren't coming off and inches aren't changing either.

I will be the first to admit, certainly they are vanity pounds. All the same, anyone who is not horribly mal-nutritioned should surely lose something at these levels.
    Have anyone else overcome plateaus somehow, by upping/lowering calories, changing training schedules or anything like this?

I appreciate all replies :)

Female, 167 cm 135 pounds.

I had similar stats when I stalled. I had to lower my calorie goal during the week a little, because I was getting a little sloppy on the weekends. Seems like you're weighing everything. I was getting salads at lunch that weren't weighed out so I started bringing my lunch to work all prepared and the weight started coming off again.

I really can't suggest eating and less calories, but you say you're weighing and logging everything. The only advice I can give is to ask yourself...Are you SURE?

Have you changed your activity level at all? Become less active?
  • ogburn715
    ogburn715 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat a little more for a couple of days. Change the exercise you're doing to something else. Your body has gotten use to and adjusted to the calories you're eating and the exercise you're doing so try doing a different exercise routine for a week and eat a few more calories a couple of days and see if that doesn't kick start your weight loss back.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm down to about 7 lbs to lose and I try to increase my calories a little for a couple of weeks, increase my activity, and then cut back again on the calories. Sometimes changing up your macros a little helps too, not sure why..... Really, you could just eat at maintenance for a week or two, and then take a deficit again..........yay for diet breaks.

I've found generally though, when I really get stuck, it's because I've gotten a little sloppy logging.... :(
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I'm down to about 7 lbs to lose and I try to increase my calories a little for a couple of weeks, increase my activity, and then cut back again on the calories. Sometimes changing up your macros a little helps too, not sure why..... Really, you could just eat at maintenance for a week or two, and then take a deficit again..........yay for diet breaks.

I've found generally though, when I really get stuck, it's because I've gotten a little sloppy logging.... :(

Ditto to the bolded. I also agree with diet breaks. I actually got fed up with not losing and said screw it, I'm going into maintenance. Then I finally lost those pounds I had been waiting on for the past few weeks. If anything, they're nice for your mind and body.
  • lecoman
    lecoman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. My goal had been 140 but now I want to get to 130 and things have slowed. I try to take the long view. While I may eventually take in more calories, I am going to keep on measuring food and keeping the diary. So while it takes patience I know it will happen. It is still frustrating. 62 yo male 5'6" 139.1lbs