Waking up with serious cramp in your calf.

Options
That stuff hurts!! :D

Worked out my legs yesterday and several calf exercises and this morning i woke up in the middle of my dream with cramp in my calf muscle, and it stayed like 2 min, never knew that could hurt THAT much, pure agony!

You guys had that before?

Replies

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes. Typically You are dehydrated or electrolytes are low.
    There are some cases of cramping in endurance athletes that are still a mystery to science.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It's called a charlie horse leg cramp... I have had them a time or two in my lifetime..
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    SaltSticks or Hammer Nutritions Endurolytes with some water. PIckle Juice - or Sports Pickle Juice drink. Beyond that, the more training you do over the months to get in shape, the less likely you are to cramp.
  • mgopsill
    mgopsill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    SaltSticks or Hammer Nutritions Endurolytes with some water. PIckle Juice - or Sports Pickle Juice drink. Beyond that, the more training you do over the months to get in shape, the less likely you are to cramp.

I agree with these as solutions, need to replenish electrolytes, most likely potassium and magnesium. Wholefood sources: bananas, avocados, nuts
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mgopsill wrote: »
    sources: bananas, avocados, nuts

My kind of foods :) unfortunately im deadbroke atm till next wednesday, all i have is, rice, spinaze, canned tuna and alot of eggs in the house so i guess i will have to bear atm
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yes!! When I first started mountain biking, a few Years ago, my calves were growing quite quickly and I was regularly woken up by the searing pain of cramp.
    The worst I ever had was when it contracted so hard that the muscle actually tore itself and left me limping for a fortnight, that one brought tears to my eyes...
    I never really did resolve it, it just faded away and I can't remember the last time it happened now.

Just in case you haven't discovered it, the fastest way to stop it is to get your foot flat on the floor with your weight on it as quickly as you can. That's what I found stopped it, anyway.
    Good luck, I know very well just how agonisingly painful it is!
  • CM_73
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Double post for some reason.

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    yes, it seems to happen to me about twice a year. It is excruciating.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Another way to stop a calf cramp is to grab your big toe and pull it up (towards your leg.) Hold it there until the cramp subsides. If the cramp resumes once you let go of your toe, rinse and repeat. ;)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I get them occasionally. I usually take a potassium supplement the day after or eat high potassium foods, also I take extra calcium. Sometimes I get them from walking or standing with shoes that are too flat (no arch support). If you like sports drinks, those have lots of potassium; I can't tolerate them myself.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    80TAURUS80 wrote: »
    mgopsill wrote: »
    sources: bananas, avocados, nuts

My kind of foods :) unfortunately im deadbroke atm till next wednesday, all i have is, rice, spinaze, canned tuna and alot of eggs in the house so i guess i will have to bear atm

Since you have to wait to get your banana fix on. When you cook your rice and other foods add extra salt. It is also an essential electrolyte. Unless, you are on a special Doctor ordered restriction to salt then it will help reduce cramping as it also helps in water retention.

Good Luck!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Magnesium deficiency.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Icing the cramp also seems to help.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I thought a calf cramp was painful until I did my first ultra - finished, had a recoevry shake and some water, tired but not feeling too bad and drove the hr drive home. Got home, got out of the car and my thigh cramped - OMG! I've not known pain like it. It was a good job the neighbours kids were inside as they'd have learned some new language whilst I swung off the car door trying to figure out how to make it stop haha
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Yes, thigh cramps are AWFUL!!!!! Especially since there's nothing you can do but wait until they pass. I once had *both* thighs cramp at the same time in the middle of the night. I'm surprised the cops didn't end up at my door thinking there was an ax murderer on the loose or something. :p
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When I get calf cramps, I can generally attribute it to not drinking enough water.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Yes, being under-hydrated is definitely a cause.

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Had a thigh cramp in the car driving one day! That was horrible and I couldn't do anything about it til I reached a place to stop.

Used to get calf cramps a lot - suffered until I realized if you walk on it very softly it will go away quicker.
  • CM_73
    Options
    I can't even imagine the pain of a quad cramping, I'm going to have nightmare now...
  • snickerscharlie
    edited May 2015
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    I can't even imagine the pain of a quad cramping, I'm going to have nightmare now...

It makes you wish for a quick and merciful death. Honestly, childbirth was less painful!