267 calories left after breakfast

Options
mandapie97
mandapie97 Posts: 7 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
My name is Amanda, if you want to know my story, I wrote on Introduce yourself called "Time to make a change."
I currently weigh 181 lbs and on a 1,240 diet and exercise until I reach my weight goal, 120 lbs.
I just had a big breakfast that left me with only 267 calories for the rest of the day! A piece of advice, count your calories before you eat them, and don't waste your calorie intake on breakfast.
I will post everyday for updates on my journey to weight loss.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    That's why I skip breakfast. I like to go to bed satiated so I save up calories for a decent sized dinner.
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself for the rest of the day - you're going to have to go over your limit. Hopefully this is not a common occurrence, so just track it and move on.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Meal and calorie timing are a preference thing and nothing more. If it works better for you to eat the majority of your calories in the morning, then sure go for it. However, if it's not working out so great for you, pre-planning your day will go a long ways.
  • KarolJohnson2127
    KarolJohnson2127 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just maintain your weight for a day, no big deal.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Eat nutrient dense food the rest of the day with goal of staying under your maintenance number. Do not starve yourself if you are hungry.

Also, I strongly encourage you to look at if 1,240 is too low, if you haven't done that.
  • UWorlds1
    UWorlds1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is important but that's A LOT of calories what did you eat?
  • ljhansen2012
    ljhansen2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Eat nutrient dense food the rest of the day with goal of staying under your maintenance number. Do not starve yourself if you are hungry.

Also, I strongly encourage you to look at if 1,240 is too low, if you haven't done that.

Great Advice!! You probably WILL go over, but don't throw your system into starvation mode. Takes longer to recover from that, then it does to recover from one day of "over eating".
    A good breakfast is hard to beat anyway ;) Stay Strong <3
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful for us to see your stats (height as well as weight) and your diary because we can advise how to stay under 1240 in a healthy way. Also, if you exercise, you can "eat back" your exercise calories later in the day. You're only 18 and if you're a taller person, 1240 might be too low for you. I tend to eat a fairly decent breakfast and stay under 500 calories and some days under 400. For instance, I ate scrambled eggs, ham, and an English muffin. Yesterday my breakfast was similar, but I had a very light lunch. If I eat protein for breakfast, I can go easy on lunch. Also, I did some yoga today and will do some walking later so I'll have a larger allowance. What did you eat for breakfast that was so high?
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I really hate breakfast in general. I have to force myself to eat something with my vitamins and supplements though to prevent a tummy ache. I'd say just continue the day in moderation, you'll probably go over. Tomorrow is a new day! Good luck!
  • Evilsha
    Evilsha Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could always get a good work out in. If you have the time of course.
  • movegrooveandwatchthefood
    Options
    Evilsha wrote: »
    You could always get a good work out in. If you have the time of course.
    Good Advice! If you workout you can eat more

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    T_MOTH_T wrote: »
    I will post everyday for updates on my journey to weight loss.

There is a blog function for that.

• yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Great Advice!! You probably WILL go over, but don't throw your system into starvation mode. Takes longer to recover from that, then it does to recover from one day of "over eating".
    A good breakfast is hard to beat anyway ;) Stay Strong <3

Nope nope nope. While the poster was very friendly, starvation mode in this context is a myth. But seriously, listen to the other peeps who posted and don't deprive yourself today. Just log it and move on. Best of luck hun!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Why not look at your week's calories and then try to eat /exercise a bit later in the week to even it out?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok first you're 18 and can eat way more than that to lose.
    Second, at least your breakfast should keep you full for a while! I like big breakfasts and lunches and small dinners, personally.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    UWorlds1 wrote: »
    It's not that important. Lots and lots of people on the forum here, including myself, forego breakfast each morning. I personally don't eat until after 12pm each day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    OP, offset some of the calories by being physically active today so you can eat a little more if you want. The activity can just be walking. Walk 3 miles or so.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    OP, offset some of the calories by being physically active today so you can eat a little more if you want. The activity can just be walking. Walk 3 miles or so.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This.

Or, you can just go balls out at the gym for 60-90 minutes, and rack up 500+ calories extra for the day.

• arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    UWorlds1 wrote: »
    up

For this very reason I gave up eating breakfast some time ago. I used to have jam sandwiches or porridge or rye bread with cottage cheese, or muesli with milk. Counting calories is a real eye opener, having added all those bread slices and cottage cheese I was shocked to discover that it was just about 600kcal.
    I swapped breakfast for morning runs. I'm also on a rather low calorific allowance 1300kcal, thus I rather have a proper nutritious meal later in a day than stuff my body with useless carbs.

• arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @UWorlds1 - why do you think breakfast is important? From my experience, eating breakfast makes sense when you are young and your body is still growing or you are a quarry worker or are a healthy weight athlete prone to losing weight very quickly. There is that ongoing mantra about the energy we need first thing in the morning...yes if we are one of the above listed people. However, if we are one of them ''lucky'' people with significant ''energy surplus'' then we are not gonna drop dead without having a meal until 1pm. It's important to listen to our body and from time to time my body wants to have that odd slice of bread at 7am and that's fine, by the same token, sometimes I don't feel like eating till 4pm. Concluding, skipping breakfast, working out in the morning and counting calories proves to be working but each to their own as they say.