Losing weight but always hungry!!!

Options
i have lost 44 lbs over the last year. About a pound a week. Would still like ti lose another 20 lbs. and then we'll see how that feels. Always looking for support, new menu ideas & encouragement!

Replies

• amandamunesar
    amandamunesar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow 44lbs kudos!
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    So you mean hungry for food or hungry to lose more weight? Congrats on the weight loss by the way.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weightloss but you shouldn't be starving yourself to the point your hungry all the time. Unless your're talking about the "other" hungry. :)
  • LuciaEdmond
    LuciaEdmond Posts: 12 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think eating 1300 calories / day should be enough to keep me full, not so. It's a continual struggle. When will my body realize that this weight is my new normal?? Not sure what the "other" hungry is and never heard the term "hungry to lose moe weight". I'm just plain old HUNGRY.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Well it also depends upon which type of foods your are eating. Why don't you make your diary available to be viewed and we can give you suggestions.
  • LuciaEdmond
    Options
    I believe that my diary is available to be viewed.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I believe that my diary is available to be viewed.

No it isn't :)
  • LuciaEdmond
    Options
    How about now
  • sherriperoni
    sherriperoni Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    1300 calories is pretty low, especially if you've been eating at that deficit for nearly a year, and you will eventually cause metabolic damage. Is it bad enough that it will cause you to stop losing weight altogether? No. But the fat loss will get harder and harder and once your body adapts to the 1300 calories, that will become your new maintenance level. So eating more than that will cause fat gain. You don't want your body to realize that this is your new normal.

Your goal should be to shove as much food into your body as possible while still losing fat. How do you do this? Well, you may have to lift weights. You'll want to make sure you're eating enough protein (1g/lb of body weight is usually ok for everyone) and don't forget about healthy carbs to replenish any glycogen depletion if you are working out! You'll probably have to look into slowly increasing your calorie intake every few weeks to build up your metabolism again. Look into reverse dieting/metabolic reprogramming.

Trust me, you don't want to be stuck at 1300 calories per day or lower. If you hit a plateau, then what? Where do you go from there? Add more cardio? Eat less? Where does it stop?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    How about now

I'm afraid your diary is still not open.

Congrats on the weightloss!

Now that you're down to the last 20 pounds, you might consider being less aggressive with your deficit. It will slow down the rate of loss, but it will also help you maintain muscle (larger deficit = more muscle loss), help prevent loose skin, help your body adjust to maintenance by taking it in steps, and help you keep your sanity. Instead of losing 1 lb per week, why not increase your calories so that you're losing .5 lbs per week? This will let you eat another 250 calories per day. Or try just increasing by 100 calories for now and see if that resolves the problem.

Another thing you can do is increase the proportion of protein and healthy fats that you eat. For many people, those things help with feelings of satiety. Try that for a couple of weeks, and if it doesn't help, try increasing your fiber. Other people find that high fiber helps with feelings of satiety.

Good luck!
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I went through this and found a couple of things helped: Drink LOTS of water. I usually go through a minimum of a gallon a day. I just pour a glass (or grab a bottle) and put it in from of me. 10 min later it is gone (repeat all day). I also found that if I timed/sized my meals better, there was less chance of a mishap. My issue was always at night. So I would leave plenty of calories for dinner to avoid an after-dinner "treat".. If you can get your diary open, I am sure there are some suggestions. Last (and maybe this is just mental, or its just me: If I eat simple carbs or sugar it sets me off to eat a LOT more of them. (Ask the box of skinny cow that disappeared last month)
  • LuciaEdmond
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I would like to thank all MFP Community for the GREAT advise. More protein & good fats, lots of water, increase calories for a .5 lbs./week loss and add more fibre. I can try all of these suggestions. Will start today! There is more to weight lose & maintenance than a realize. Will also try to increase my activity.
  • wispypoo
    wispypoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is awesome
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss! We are in a similar boat, I am about 40 lbs down too with about a 15 more to go. As we get closer to go it does become more difficult at times to stay motivated. Remember this is a LIFE TIME CHANGE not a "diet." Water, water, water, drink it all day. Lean proteins, complex carbs, whole grains, and healthy fats. Also a big thing is avoiding all the low fat diety foods in the grocery store, it's loaded with added sugar and sodium. You can do it! I'm right along here with you!
  • deaniabell22
    deaniabell22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    tabinmaine wrote: »
    If you are looking for motivation and support I am a Beachbody coach and can offer you that :) I run a Challenge group monthly of people all doing the same program and sharing ideas, encouragement and meal ideas in private groups on Facebook. Send me a message if this interests you :)

Best advice I can offer you is: avoid Beachbody coaches! It's a giant MLM rip-off scheme
    msty112 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the loss! We are in a similar boat, I am about 40 lbs down too with about a 15 more to go. As we get closer to go it does become more difficult at times to stay motivated. Remember this is a LIFE TIME CHANGE not a "diet." Water, water, water, drink it all day. Lean proteins, complex carbs, whole grains, and healthy fats. Also a big thing is avoiding all the low fat diety foods in the grocery store, it's loaded with added sugar and sodium. You can do it! I'm right along here with you!