Splenda safety

Options
zidine100
zidine100 Posts: 23 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Look this is a dumb question, but ive seen a hell of alot of conflicting things around it so I thought why not see if I can ask you guys for a straight answer. Is Splenda safe? I honestly hate having to ask this and I should really just go with my gut and say screw it why not but ill ask anyway.

(Please don't comment on this thread saying to use normal sugar because that's not what im asking here, I already know that's a option. )

Replies

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've done a bit of reading about artificial sweeteners, including Splenda, and I've come to the conclusion that they're totally fine. I use Splenda in my tea every day and then I also drink diet soda, which has other 0 calorie sweeteners in them. No issues/health problems here :)
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It's kinda up for debate still.... I think your going to get alot of conflicting opinions here in a min.

There have been studies to show it's evils and cancer causing effects but not really anything conclusive.
    Imo if you like splenda go for it, not that long ago eggs were killing us, before that chicken caused cancer..... I seriously doubt any harm will come from splenda, alot of fear mongering about.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    We are internet strangers commenting in a forum. Even if we all agreed that it was safe or that it was unsafe, that wouldn't be a definitive answer.

It's up to you to evaluate the official information about the product and decide if you want to use it.
  • GregSponaugle
    GregSponaugle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Splenda is sugar that has had chlorine bonded to the sugar molecules to trick the body into passing it along and not absorbing the sugar. As for the chlorine... It also passes with the sugar because of the bonding process of the molecules.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Splenda is sugar that has had chlorine bonded to the sugar molecules to trick the body into passing it along and not absorbing the sugar. As for the chlorine... It also passes with the sugar because of the bonding process of the molecules.

Agreed; for those concerned about the chlorine, consider what normal table salt is - sodium chloride.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I use sweeteners unfortunately because i just can't not have a my tea or coffee with out the sweet taste... And i know a lot of diabetic people who do... But yh its up to you to decide everyones opinion to themselves