stretches or exercises for lower back??

Options
acsej19
acsej19 Posts: 10 Member
I've had lower back pain due to disk being out of place since exercising the pain is mostly gone I'm just sore any stretches or exercises that will help strengthen my back to help or stretch out the soreness?? Thanks

Replies

• christianneworksout
    christianneworksout Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Because of your slipped disk perhaps you should cInsult a gp or physiotherapist sweety. I'd hate to give you wrong advice and cause pain
  • acsej19
    acsej19 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been to my and have been released to exercise and had a pt he's on vacation right now and the yoga poses we was doing cat cow and the snake aren't stretching it enough thanks though
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yeah I second the previous post.

In case anyone else who doesn't have serious back pain needs recommendations, I love Downward Dog after workouts. Feels great
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I suffer from major back pain now so I understand the pain. Like the others said, check with your PT when he returns from vacation or talk to another PT at the same practice. Mine has given me a little of over a dozen, to include the cat/cow, that can stretch your back in more ways than you are aware of.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Yeah I second the previous post.

In case anyone else who doesn't have serious back pain needs recommendations, I love Downward Dog after workouts. Feels great

This! I looked through yoga stretches and do ones that target my lower back. Foam rolling also feels 10/10 before and after working out! I usually roll out my lower back every training day!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I find straight leg dumbbell deadlifts really stretch my back well. Whenever I feel some lower back pain coming on I make sure to do some of those. I'm not sure if that's safe with a slipped disk, though. (I'm referring to the first exercise in this video, for example: https://youtube.com/watch?v=nM-Z3axdxUg)
  • celticlass69
    celticlass69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Two back and neck injuries at work and I've learned one thing. Everyone's back is different. What could be good for one isn't necessarily good for another. Think before you start doing and please take it slowly.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Look up the yoga pose called Pigeon and also child pose. They can help lower back and hamstrings.

For lower back pain I have found it helpful to lie on an acupressure mat. I use the Spoonk mat. The are only about $40 on amazon. It does take some getting used to but in time it becomes a very relaxing experience. I often almost fall asleep on mine.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hip bridges and laying on the floor with your knees up with your heels closer to your butt with your hands down by your sides. I know that both of these have helped me to stretch and relax the muscles in my back.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    acsej19 wrote: »
    I've had lower back pain due to disk being out of place since exercising the pain is mostly gone I'm just sore any stretches or exercises that will help strengthen my back to help or stretch out the soreness?? Thanks
    Hamstring stretches also definitely affect the back.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    also what they call the cobra stretch. that will stretch out your back. you can look for back stretches/exercises on youtube .
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    1. Lay on your back with knees bent. Gently tilt pelvis up. Repeat.
    2. Lay on your back with legs straight. Push foot away from you - don't point toe. Alternate feet.
    Given to me by physiotherapist when I slipped a disc. Both help open up the space between the vertebrae to enable the disc to go back into place.
    When my disc is bulging I also lay on the floor, knees bent, with my legs up on the sofa.