looking for some weight loss help

Options
Hi everyone, This winter i gained a ton of weight and i am just out of shape. Im hoping some of you guys could help me in learning how to get fit.

Im a 23 year old male looking to gain some muscle but mostly lose my stomach, and man breasts...

Im having trouble losing weight. Ive tryed cutting calories and going to the gym but its just not working out.

Recently ive been taking a protein drink for breakfast, chicken cutlet on a roll for lunch , and grilled chicken for dinner at night, and ive

been hitting the gym , jogging for 30 minutes and then lifting weights in every muscle group.

What kind of diet is the best for my situation, I cant stand vegetables or fruits other than bananas which makes it hard to eat healthy.

Im more of a eggsandwich and cheeseburger kind of guy and was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and what you started

eating to lose the weight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? How many calories are you eating every day? How many grams of protein?
  • njharro
    njharro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 6 foot and i eat about 1500 calories a day with 30 grams of protien
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    That sounds really low. I'm 6', I'm eating 2,000 calories and I try to hit at least 100g of protein. My numbers are set to 150g of protein, but I honestly rarely hit it. Are you sure you're going after 30g of protein? Is that per meal?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Oh, I forgot, what's your weight?

I'm 6' and 165 lbs and am losing 1.75 lbs/week at 1700 calories + exercise calories
  • njharro
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Im 23, 6 foot, and weigh 230 pounds, i eat about 60 grams of protien a day. and i try to stay around 1500 calories. Honestly im not quite sure how i should eat as far as calories, or what catorgory like carbs and protien to eat.
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Put your calories at 2100. You need to eat about 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fat to start with.

Start lifting heavy and use a program that's proven. I suggest stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength.

Cardio is fine as long as it's after or on a different day than strength training. you need to eat back at least 50% of the calories burned from cardio.

Weigh yourself every morning after you wake up after using the bathroom. Track your progress for a full month doing the above. Adjust your calories based on your results after the month. If you're not losing any weight or gaining weight on average, drop your calories by 500. If you're losing too much weight then you need to increase.

Weigh all your food and log everything that you eat.
  • njharro
    Options
    Is it possible to lose fat eating that much?

Put your calories at 2100. You need to eat about 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fat to start with.

Start lifting heavy and use a program that's proven. I suggest stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength.

Cardio is fine as long as it's after or on a different day than strength training. you need to eat back at least 50% of the calories burned from cardio.

Weigh yourself every morning after you wake up after using the bathroom. Track your progress for a full month doing the above. Adjust your calories based on your results after the month. If you're not losing any weight or gaining weight on average, drop your calories by 500. If you're losing too much weight then you need to increase.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

The bolded is all personal preference.
  • RMinerva
    RMinerva Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am 73 years old. I was never overweight until I move to Florida, from a size 12 to a size 20, 11 years ago. I also have a lazy thyroid problem. Doc gave me pills but they don't work. I do my workouts at the YMCA, eat sensibly and instead of losing I gain weight. As of today, I will only be eating veggie salads, fruit salads, jello, My early morning coffee. crackers, and water. I am 5'0" tall. I had lost 20 lbs, but gained them back plus more, when I got mysteriously sick.. Docs can't find why I almost lost my eyesight.
    I don't like, or will never get used to being overweight! My hearing is bad, Docs can't find why, my walking is bad due to herniated disc, and I am a very active person! Go figure! HELP!!!!!
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

The bolded is all personal preference.

Correct. The point is to do something, and keep doing it consistently for a month and see where he stands after a month.

The macros are less of a preference if op is interested in preserving lean mass while cutting. you need protein to repair muscles from working in the gym. And you need the carbs to keep performance high in the gym. It's a place to start that would work for OPs current composition, but can be tweaked.

• galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options
    njharro wrote: »
    Is it possible to lose fat eating that much?

Yes, and since your goal is to gain muscle as well, you want to lose fat reasonably slow to preserve muscle mass. If you crash your calories like you're saying you are, then your muscle is going to be lost along with your fat. Especially if your protein is low and aren't training correctly in the gym.

You want to be conservative with your calories, get a good amount of data for a month, then adjust your calories based on your progress. You also need to be accurately weighing all your food so you know exactly how many calories you're eating and how your body responds to it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    RMinerva wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am 73 years old. I was never overweight until I move to Florida, from a size 12 to a size 20, 11 years ago. I also have a lazy thyroid problem. Doc gave me pills but they don't work. I do my workouts at the YMCA, eat sensibly and instead of losing I gain weight. As of today, I will only be eating veggie salads, fruit salads, jello, My early morning coffee. crackers, and water. I am 5'0" tall. I had lost 20 lbs, but gained them back plus more, when I got mysteriously sick.. Docs can't find why I almost lost my eyesight.
    I don't like, or will never get used to being overweight! My hearing is bad, Docs can't find why, my walking is bad due to herniated disc, and I am a very active person! Go figure! HELP!!!!!

Why on earth are you limiting yourself to just those foods?

And what do you mean they don't work?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    RMinerva wrote: »

I'm not sure what a lazy thyroid is, you need to give more information. Lab results? What medications?

That diet idea of salads and jello is neither necessary nor healthy. I would suggest starting a new thread on the weight loss forum so you can get more help with reaching your goals.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost just like everybody else—by eating fewer than I burn.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1