Morning Hunger

Options
Amanda82691
Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
Hello Fit Friends......

So I have been having this ongoing issue of always being so, so hungry in the mornings. I wake up at 5am then I eat at 6:45-7:30am ( I never go longer then 7:30 without eating) And I usually have either a protein shake, or I'll have Greek yogurt and fruit, or a protein bar. But no matter what I am hungry again within an hour an a half to two hours later. I'll eat a small snack like cheese, or veggies, but then in less then a couple hours I'm hungry again. It isn't until I eat lunch (regardless of what I eat for lunch.) that I feel comfortable and full for the next 3-5 hours.

I can not figure it out. I have tried other things to eat for breakfast thinking that perhaps I'm just not getting enough of something like perhaps protein but man nothing seems to work. I end up eating more calories then I plan to (which is 1600) because I am trying to get/keep myself full. But I don't think this means I need more over all calories. I mean I am only 4 foot 8 inches I don't think I need more then 1600 calories a day. Perhaps I'm wrong. I'm not sure.

However, I'm still trying to work this all out but I'm hoping that maybe you guys have any ideas as to what my deal might be, what my issue is and possible anything I can do to solve it. I'm open to ideas. :) Thank you

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It's healthy to eat every 2-3 hours, If you getting hungry, just plan your day around it. Are you hungry before 7:30? If not eat your first meal later. There's no specific times to follow. You could eat all 1600 in one sitting if you wanted and still lose weight. (provided you've calculated your calories right.) Also, do you exercise? That will make you hungrier.
  • inked_Calimom82
    inked_Calimom82 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    U should be eating every 2-3 hours. Drink at least 16oz of water 30 minutes before u eat each meal and u will feel less hungry. U should also be eating breakfast within an hour of waking up! I drink water all throughout the day and it helps a lot with feeling full. At my weight, I should drink at least 96oz of water a day. U need to calculate how much u should be drinking. Also, u shouldn't eat late at night. That will make u more hungry in the morning and cause u to gain. U shouldn't eat anything at least 4 hours before u go to bed! I don't eat anything after dinner, which is around 5:30pm, except water to keep me from getting hungry. Eating a bigger lunch and smaller dinner helps too. Like I try to eat chicken breast with veggies for dinner because it's a lighter meal and for lunch I eat heavier like dirty brown rice with veggies mixed. Just something that fills me more at lunch. And snacks I always eat 1 cup watermelon, 8 strawberries, or 1 cup green grapes. I rarely feel hungry because I drink so much water though. Water is key! Good luck :)
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it isn't thirst? It is quite common to wake up feeling thirsty and mistake it for hunger.
    Sounds like you are eating the right things to keep you full at that time of day. You could try having a "two stage" breakfast. I do that with my lunch for similar reasons - I have an earlier and a later lunch to try to keep the hunger at bay.
    You could have an earlier breakfast of yoghurt and fruit and then a later one of a protein shake or something else protein based. Hope you find a solution :)
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Try to eat high fibre food cereal, apples are great to
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Boredom? Sometime when I'm sitting at work and doing the same thing over and over again in the mornings I get the munchies really bad. Even when I eat a big breakfast I still can't wait til lunch to eat again. The only way I've controlled this is by first, small snack around 11am and bottle of water to sip, then... setting my alarm on my phone to lunch time (1-1:30pm) and I absolutely cannot eat again until that alarm goes off! Failed the first couple times but I keep trying everyday and have finally got into the habit of not consistently snacking in the morning.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I know it's healthy to eat 2-3 hours but it's between those hours I'm never feeling satisfied. I drink a gallon of water a day so I'm good on water.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I am also usually extremely hungry in the morning and in fact, feel a bit light-headed if I don't eat as soon as I get up. I either eat a larger breakfast (eggs and toast), or something "bulkier" that fills me like oatmeal or cereal and fruit. I also have fruit or a granola bar between breakfast and lunch, unless I have eggs, which seem to keep me satisfied longer. Maybe yogurt or a protein shake aren't enough to satisfy you. I've tried protein shakes and I'm still hungry. I'd rather use the calories for something I can actually chew.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    That's just how it is sometimes. I'm the same way... Hungry in the morning, so I typically eat 1300 calories by 2pm.
  • Bobbie63
    Bobbie63 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    PBS had a special once on weight loss, it was really good. One thing I remember was they fed these working men (like outside working construction guys) a meal. Some got the meal and some got the same ingredients but made into a soup. the ones with the soup were not hungry before lunch, the others were. They said by keeping the tummy full of soup, it did not allow a hunger trigger to get sent to the brain, before it really should have been sent. Just when the tummy is empty it says I'm hungry. So, maybe eat your breakfast and the have a cup of won ton broth. You could do that for 7 days and test it. You could also do it all three meals 7 days. You only need about 1/2 to 1 cup of broth (add green onion tops for extra healthy)