267 calories left after breakfast

Options
2»

Replies

• aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You have the whole day to work some of it off and if you do go over today, you'll get back on track tomorrow as long as you don't repeat today's breakfast of course ;)
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    At 181lbs you could probably eat more than 1240 and still lose. I'm at 147 and can lose at 1500 (I'm sedentary). Also: cardio. It's your friend. So is forgiveness and learning. Now you know how many cals that breakfast costs and can do better next time.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    People, 967 calories for any meal isn't really hard to do. WHAT DID YOU EAT?! questions are absurd. She had pancakes and syrup and eggs and bacon. Things we all eat from time to time. Large meals happen.

At 18, OP is likely still growing. She's likely healthy and a least lightly active. And at 180ish pounds, it's likely she can eat more than 1,240 can and still lose weight. My previous comment had nothing to do with starvation mode. It's about choosing a number where you see weight loss that isn't too restrictive. For many people, 1,240 is going to be too restrictive. If you haven't looked at your TDEE, Op, you should really do that.

And at no point should anyone go hungry. If you are over your loss target, strive to be under your maintenance number. But if you are still hungry, you should eat. It's that simple.

Being extra active is a great way to offset a big meal, but a hard session at the gym you weren't already planning because you've accidentally gone over? Disordered thinking. Blips like this will happen.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    T_MOTH_T wrote: »
    I will post everyday for updates on my journey to weight loss.

There is a blog function for that.

+1

And OP, don't worry about it. Even if you don't work out to offset your large breakfast, eating normal meals for the rest of the day will likely still leave you in a deficit for the week. One big meal doesn't generally spoil your week's loss.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    People, 967 calories for any meal isn't really hard to do. WHAT DID YOU EAT?! questions are absurd. She had pancakes and syrup and eggs and bacon. Things we all eat from time to time. Large meals happen.

Uh... I love those questions and eagerly await the answer because I want to enjoy the delicious breakfast through OP.
  • mandapie97
    mandapie97 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I ate pancakes and syrup with milk. I don't eat bacon, I'm a vegetarian.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Why not look at your week's calories and then try to eat /exercise a bit later in the week to even it out?

Great advise

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    UWorlds1 wrote: »
    Breakfast is important but that's A LOT of calories what did you eat?
    It's not that important. Lots and lots of people on the forum here, including myself, forego breakfast each morning. I personally don't eat until after 12pm each day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm the exact opposite I eat all my calories before 4pm but agree with you it really doesn't matter

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options

Yes, pancakes would put the calories up there. But if you're like most people, you don't eat pancakes every day. Consider it a treat, log it, talk a walk, eat a light dinner, and move on.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

At 18, OP is likely still growing. She's likely healthy and a least lightly active. And at 180ish pounds, it's likely she can eat more than 1,240 can and still lose weight. My previous comment had nothing to do with starvation mode. It's about choosing a number where you see weight loss that isn't too restrictive. For many people, 1,240 is going to be too restrictive. If you haven't looked at your TDEE, Op, you should really do that.

And at no point should anyone go hungry. If you are over your loss target, strive to be under your maintenance number. But if you are still hungry, you should eat. It's that simple.

Being extra active is a great way to offset a big meal, but a hard session at the gym you weren't already planning because you've accidentally gone over? Disordered thinking. Blips like this will happen.

You are so right! I was still growing at age 21....another 2 inches. She should probably eat at least 1600 calories.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly real pancakes are a 'once every 6 months' thing for me at this point... just can't fit the real thing without being hungry 2 hours later.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Go for a good walk. That will give you one meal
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    pancakes and biscuits are difficult to fit in esp with the calorie goal you have. when myfitnesspal lowered my calories below 1400 I changed my goals. seriously. I can do under that sometimes but not on a daily basis. just isn't happening. I work 12 hour rotating shifts and sorry but I need calories esp when I add in exercise and the exercise choices here I don't consider exact.
    do you eat eggs? I like egg whites so often do a tsp of a healthy oil(right now it happens to be sunflower but was olive oil earlier- trying to use up what I have while it's still good...), egg, maybe 1/4 cup whites and either add about 7 oz shredded 2% cheese (1/4 serving) and eat in a sandwich with toasted nature's own light wheat bread...or I do something similr but add in veggies maybe 1/2 serving of southern hashbrowns and a mission carb balance or whole wheat tortilla..add some fruit and some hot black tea or hot green tea(usually black tea though). I also do a veggie egg scramble. i wish oatmeal would stay with me but it doesnt- I'm usuallyhungry again but some people are perfectly satisfied with it. the few times I tried having pancakes it didn't work out- they were a lot of calories even fixed with fat free milk, etc same with turkey sausage. some foods don't give a lot of 'bang for the buck' and breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food. I can get by with 200 cals for breakfast and be satisfied if I cut back on the whole egg, oil, cheese. right now I'm making my way throught a big reserve I messed up on - was going for the frittata type scramble but it came out too 'mealy' so it's now breakfast taco filling but with the tortilla it's still under 200 calories til I add fruit- I aimed for 4 servings but have 8-16 fillings depending on how stuffed I want the tortilla- I did a serving of southern hashbrowns cooked in water in the microwave then dumped in electri skillet - added in at least a cup of diced bell pepper, half carton of baby bella mushrooms, jar of salsa, frozen diced onion and let simmer til dry then added 4 eggs and a small carton of egg whites- made a mess in the skillet (next time wont' do so much) I also had a little ham lunchmeat left that I added just to get rid of and add some protein. also stirred in a little cheese but can't really taste it. can't stand the stuff by itself but rolled in a tortilla (may try corn tortillas when these run out)

theyummylife blog has some good ideas for refrigerator oatmeal and steel cut oats- I've done both those recipes or a modification before- they do better than the regular oats for me but still not as much bang for the buck as eggs do for me.

I don't skip breakfast unless I sleep through it and that's usually because of shift work. I try to eat something every few hours
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    My name is Amanda, if you want to know my story, I wrote on Introduce yourself called "Time to make a change."
    I currently weigh 181 lbs and on a 1,240 diet and exercise until I reach my weight goal, 120 lbs.
    I just had a big breakfast that left me with only 267 calories for the rest of the day! A piece of advice, count your calories before you eat them, and don't waste your calorie intake on breakfast.
    I will post everyday for updates on my journey to weight loss.

If your goal is really 120 lbs (and I hope this is healthy for your height), unless you can change your lifestyle to be very active, you need to work on portion control. I have a similar weight to your goal, and have been there more or less forever. I am sedentary regarding work etc, fit in some exercise, even just 30 minutes daily. I cannot imagine eating 1000 calories in pancakes to be honest, so I suspect my portion and my serving of syrup are much smaller than yours.
    Unless the plan is to never eat some foods again, and live on lean meat and spinach, which does not sound very realistic, you need to learn to control your portions better. I just had pancakes this morning. Although I do not track my calories in general, I just did to see how much my serving was. I had my pancakes made in a non-stick pan with a hint of oil, had one large (for me) pancake, topped with strawberries and drizzled with maple syrup. My recipe puts the total to about 300 calories, including the coffee with milk I had for breakfast.
    There are people who eat much more than I do. But check their weight and habits. As an average height woman with a desk job, I am not going to eat the same as a tall man with a physical job. As someone who wants to stay close to 120 lbs and likes this look, I am not going to eat the same as a women who is happy with her body at 150 lbs and so on.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    The issue is not whether to eat breakfast or not in this post. If you have this issue regularly, it may be, but for the rest of the day in this case, it's important to regain your own self respect.

If you work out regularly, going to a class or doing your regular workout will give you 200 to 400 or so additional calories. If you are already fit, doing a second workout is not a bad idea, but if you are not on a regular workout schedule, DO NOT compensate for this with rigorous activity.

Your best approach will be to practice moderation for the rest of the day. And chalk it up to bad planning.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Good thing you did this in the morning, now you have an entire day to earn some extra calorie credit! You can come by my house and help with the cleaning!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Sounds delicious. Learn from it and move on - now you know what a big dent in your calorie goal a big breakfast can make, next time just plan better or schedule in more exercise to offset some of the calories.

I would also agree with some of the other posts to reassess your goal as you may be able to lose weight eating more than this.