Carb-Cycling

Options
Hi All,

My name is Mark. As of a little more than a moth ago I have fully committed to getting "beach-bod" ready. In an attempt to get more lean and cut than I have ever been before I'm starting to carb cycle. My plan is generally to consume 50 grams or less of carbs Sunday through Tuesday then have a carb reload on Wednesday, were I will try and consume 300 carbs. Thursday-50-100 carbs, Friday-50 or less, then Saturday 50-100. In addition to that I am also doing fasted cardio in the Am where I consume nothing but some BCAAs and water before my training. My cardio session consist of a 20-25 minute run with intervals of sprints up hill M-Sat, and Sunday a brisk walk for about an hour. I would love to hear if anyone is doing anything similar now or in the past and how it has or had worked out for them.

Take care!

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    damn bro that seems intense just to cut some fat

just eat less calories than you burn and you'll be good to go

hill sprints are pro

g'luck
  • MarkCocuzzo
    MarkCocuzzo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Brother! I appreciate the advice/support!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'm presuming you're keeping other macros the same everyday? I've carb cycled.... It gave me flexibility on "high days" to eat more fun food (ie, less nutritious)

Fasted cardio is not better for fat loss than fuelled cardio. I wouldn't be doing sprints/hiit fasted! Are you planning on doing any resistance work?
  • MarkCocuzzo
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. Yes, I lift consistently every other day. Im curious to hear how fueled cardio is better for losing fat than fasted cardio or why doing uphill sprints in a fasted state is no good. And yes, Im on a high protein and moderately high fats diet. Look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I didn't say fuelled was better....there's no reason to do fasted steady state though unless it just happens to fit in to your schedule best. Doing it Fasted doesn't make you burn more calories...

I can't do intervals effectively without fuel.... I simply don't have the energy to go hard enough, so I prefer to do them later in the day when I have some fuel in the tank. More energy meals I can push harder.
  • MarkCocuzzo
    Options
    That makes sense. As they say every body is different. I've just heard that when you get down to a relatively low body fat pct. fasted cardio can be very effective in burning that. But yes, ultimately it just fits into my schedule the best. My schedule consists of cardio first thing in the a.m. go to work then lift weights every other day. I appreciate your input..I'd love to hear your daily routine.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    That makes sense. As they say every body is different. I've just heard that when you get down to a relatively low body fat pct. fasted cardio can be very effective in burning that. But yes, ultimately it just fits into my schedule the best. My schedule consists of cardio first thing in the a.m. go to work then lift weights every other day. I appreciate your input..I'd love to hear your daily routine.

I prepped for my last bodybuilding shows doing very little fasted steady state. I did most of my cardio during the day, either steady state (moderate intensity) or hiit,very rarely fasted.

Currently I do no cardio. I've just started prep again, so that may change shortly but I hope to keep it to a minimum. I train weights 5 days a Week. Not cycling carbs at the moment, but I was having low carb days on non training days, and one or 2 high days, the rest "normal"
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    fasted workouts suuuuuuuuuuuuck. so does cardio. some people enjoy those though.
  • MarkCocuzzo
    Options
    Wow! Very cool to hear your daily workout regimen. Good luck on your contest prep! And yes fasted cardio isn't ideal for most...or just cardio in general. But I've gotten somewhat addicted to it.
  • Irenameansbusiness
    Irenameansbusiness Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been doing 3 mornings of fasted cardio followed 90 minutes later by weights for just over a month now and I've found its made made a significant difference in fat loss. I never do more than 30 minutes in case it eats into muscle not fat! Currently doing a 4 day split in training ......I've not done any carb cycling yet tho.