I don't know what to do at the gym?

Options
I have been working out for almost two weeks now and I am already getting bored. I am trying to think of it as a job and something I have to just do but I just don't know what to do at the gym. I vary between half an hour strength and half an hour cardio. Just curious what everyone does? I'm sure it's been asked before just curious!

Replies

• williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Doesn't sound like you have a plan besides repeating the same workouts and even then, I'm sure your half assing them. I use to do that and of course it got boring. You should work specific muscle groups each time your in the gym (example, biceps and back, shoulders and chest, leg day (hamstrings, quads, calves) Get a trainer if you really need help. Could always try going outside for a run or swim..it shouldn't feel like a "job" more like something you enjoy so maybe you just don't like working out.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I try to do things that are fun so that I'm motivated to actually do them. So in addition to the gym (where I strength train, do the elliptical because it feels like a moonwalk, and also swim), I take walks, sign up for road races, hike, play tennis (even alone - find a wall and hit the ball against it), ride my bike, and do home workouts via DVD and the web. If your only option is the gym, see if they have a personal trainer and sign up for a few sessions; maybe that person can give you some fresh ideas.
  • dollydye
    dollydye Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like you have a plan besides repeating the same workouts and even then, I'm sure your half assing them. I use to do that and of course it got boring. You should work specific muscle groups each time your in the gym (example, biceps and back, shoulders and chest, leg day (hamstrings, quads, calves) Get a trainer if you really need help. Could always try going outside for a run or swim..it shouldn't feel like a "job" more like something you enjoy so maybe you just don't like working out.

I don't really have a plan. And your right I don't like it but dieting alone I'm not losing enough. I really enjoy some things like spin class but work in full time and being a mom I can't always make class
  • MonicaH0322
    MonicaH0322 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I first started at the gym I was lucky enough to get a corporate offer on some personal training sessions to help me get started. Trying to rotate your routine really helps, and setting goals for yourself of weigh increases and things of the sort to work towards. If your gym offers group exercise classes I've found them to be really useful! Someone else telling me what to do, they change up the routines for you to keep the variety, and you have a room full of people to keep you going ;)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Decide your goals. Then look into some beginner programs. There are a lot of things out there, and I imagine that many (most) of them work depending on your goals. Pick one (or two or whatever) and give it a try. Keep working. Profit.
  • melindarp
    melindarp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to go in with a plan and focus on a different muscle group each day. I like my workouts more when they aren't entirely on machines, there's other awesome equipment at the gym that can make your workout more fun. If you don't know how to utilize something there is always someone willing to give you a few pointers, or you can look for tips online. If I plan ahead so there's time, I like to add on a little "spa day" to the end of my workout and utilize some of the gym's amenities. I can usually squeeze it in about once a week and I can't believe how much I look forward to it. It makes going to the gym a total treat.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You've met the first and probably hardest goal, deciding you want to lose weight and get healthy. Great choice and good job, that was the hard part making that decision and starting on that journey.

Now you want to take it a step further by exercising to further improve your health and fitness. Research says that if you do something you enjoy you are far more likely to stick to it for the long haul. Sounds as if you have not quite found what that will be, yet. Don't feel bad about it. Everybody here chose a completely different road to travel, even if some of the exercises sound the same. Many had false starts and restarts until they found something that appealed to them.

When it comes to fitness, what appeals to you? Do you want to walk in a lot of local 5k charity events? Do you want to run a half or full marathon? Do you want to break guys necks as they turn to see your toned body stroll down the beach in a bikini and you totally kill that little red dress in the club as you dance all night with your husband? Once you settle on an end goal, then search for exercise programs that will help you achieve it. Each of the goals listed has multiple routes available to get there. Try as many of them as you can and you will eventually find one or more that work for you and your personality. Until you find that combination just keep moving forward with some type of exercise. Even if it is as simple as walking around the neighborhood.
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but I find workout out at home works best for me and my crazy work schedule. I also walk outside. I pick stuff I enjoy doing and as the weight has come off and I've built up a little muscle strength I find I enjoy more things. with the gym I usually went to a class when I could but was usually jogging or treading water in the pool or on the treadmill. so I was bored there since I couldn't make the classes either. when the weather is nice I like walking outside. if the gym is more your speed than working out at home then I suggest looking online to find some rotations/plans and then go there to work what you need for that day then add in some cardio if you have time.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Happens to me, I rather to go on my own pace. Jog, lift and stretch by my own rather than on a gym.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have to go to classes to keep from getting bored and to not get lazy during workouts.
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can use a gym for free at University, yes - free! And I hardly ever go because I get too bored. I do some rowing and a bit of strength training, but it's no fun. Do something else! I know it's difficult to fit it in; I used to work 45-55 hours a week and it was really hard to make time for exercise, especially if you've got kids as well. I've started the couch to 5K challenge and I really enjoy it; give it a try. And, like mentioned above, you might enjoy classes they offer at the gym? Find something you enjoy doing!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    dollydye wrote: »
    I have been working out for almost two weeks now and I am already getting bored. I am trying to think of it as a job and something I have to just do but I just don't know what to do at the gym. I vary between half an hour strength and half an hour cardio. Just curious what everyone does? I'm sure it's been asked before just curious!

Then whatever you are doing is not for you. If you are seeign it as a job, it will not last for long anyway. Forget whatever you are doing, and think what you would like to do instead, and what you can see yourself having fun while doing. If it is a class, figure out when you could get at this class, if it is e.g. somethign you can do at least once a week, or if it is pointless to even try to schedule it. Maybe something in late evening or weekends only? Thsi is when I usually find the time, and most other working mothers I know too have similar schedules. Or can you do something with the kids? Plan a daily walk, go cycling together, try some dance workouts together? Or if they are old enough, see if there are classes for them at a place where there is somethign for you to do too. For example, there are sport centers where there are e.g. swimming lessons for young kids at the children pool while the parents can also do their own workout either at a different pool or class or gym. Or I had for a while my daughter in ballet lesson and the same place offered pilates classes at the same hours.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Spend some time figuring out what you might enjoy and do that. Maybe you don't like working out by yourself, in which case classes are a possibility, or maybe you would benefit from having a personal trainer work with you to develop a goal in the weight room. There are also swimming and aquatic workouts.

If you find the gym is not a pleasant place to be, running or bicycling are great solo workouts. Both have their own communities to get involved with so you can find others to engage with.

Boredom is the result of a poor fit.

Precontemplation, contemplation, preparation, action, maintenance: these are the five stages of getting fit.

We move up and down this compendium. In preparation, you may be just getting information, looking into options, assessing your schedule.

In the action stage of working out you should be aiming for 150 minutes a week. You can perform all of your activity in one half-hour a day, five days a week, or approximately three and a half 60 minute sessions. This stage is when relapse into a prior stage is most likely, so stay motivated with friends, trainers, regular weigh-ins, scheduled measurements or other quantitative reinforcements.
  • Niiilly
    Niiilly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tend to compete with myself all the time, like 'right I burnt 50 cal in 3 minutes on the stepper last time, can I do it in under 3 minutes this time?" Or I'll secretly try to keep up with someone near me haha. Challenging myself tends to keep things more interesting. "Can I push 160lbs with my legs" etc :)