** Overtraining?! ** crazy hormones !!

Options
I don't work out every day, and never more than an hour. I usually do 2x HIIT cardio sessions for 45 min and 3-4x weights sessions for an hour.

Sometimes If I push myself too hard I start feeling really funny for the next few days, I think it causes my hormones to go off balance or something. Symptoms are sleeplessness, restless legs, general anxiety and extreme fatigue.

Does anyone else get this? I know people that work out much harder and longer and take no rest days, but for me I really have to be careful. It's quite disheartening because I'm starting to be scared of pushing myself in my work outs and its stopping my getting the results I really want.

I would love to know more from anyone that might experience the same kind of thing or tips for dealing with this.

Replies

• camground2
    camground2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do you work out late in the day?

Do you get enough vitamins and proteins?
  • cassie858
    cassie858 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yep I eat plenty of protein, I'm good with my macros always hit 130g protein and eat fresh fruit & veg every day :smile:

I try not to work out late no, for anyone the adrenaline and cortisol is raised for a few hours after exercise, but for me it seems to go on a lot longer and more severely :(
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough calories to support your activity level :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Yes, your symptoms are from pushing too hard too often. Back off a few times a week for recovery. In time your exercise capacity will grow and you can do more..
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Try taking magnesium.... It'll definitely help with the restless legs and sleep issues. If you're training hard, taking more than recommended is ok...
  • cassie858
    Options
    Thank you @livingleanlivingclean I remember someone recommending magnesium to me before for restless legs, I do take a multivitamin but I will try an extra magnesium supplement from now on too!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    cassie858 wrote: »
    I don't work out every day, and never more than an hour. I usually do 2x HIIT cardio sessions for 45 min and 3-4x weights sessions for an hour.

Sometimes If I push myself too hard I start feeling really funny for the next few days, I think it causes my hormones to go off balance or something. Symptoms are sleeplessness, restless legs, general anxiety and extreme fatigue.

Does anyone else get this? I know people that work out much harder and longer and take no rest days, but for me I really have to be careful. It's quite disheartening because I'm starting to be scared of pushing myself in my work outs and its stopping my getting the results I really want.

I would love to know more from anyone that might experience the same kind of thing or tips for dealing with this.

That doesn't make sense.

If you aren't feeling right, mention it to your doctor. If something isn't normal with your body, that's an important piece of information--don't ignore it. I wouldn't think that exercise is to blame though.

Even an hour-long workout every day is not overtraining. If everything that you are doing is very high impact, you might want to reconsider your plan, but what you are doing shouldn't be making you feel like you do.

I often get in 2-4 hours in a single day, much of it quite late at night. None of your symptoms sound familiar to me.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Oh, could you have an electrolyte imbalance?

Are you getting enough salt in your diet? One of my doctors suggested mixing up the following and sipping when doing very intense exercise: 1/3 ice, 1/3 water, 1/3 low-cal Gatorade. It does seem to help with dizziness and fatigue.

It may not solve all of your issues, but it is easy to try.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Defo see your dr. As above, it is not related to your workout.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Could also be iron deficiency, or hormone imbalance.
  • cassie858
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys. Sorry I maybe should have mentioned that I have been to the doctors and they have run several tests, all inconclusive. I have no deficiencies or anything that shows up on any tests. Adrenals are functioning correctly etc.. Doctors have mentioned M.E / CFS in the past but to be honest that's only because they can't work out what's wrong with me. At the moment I manage to live a normal life and it is only exercise that seems to exasserbate these symptoms, there is a clear link. But it's enfuriating.. All I want to do it work out and be healthy but it's like my body won't allow me to!
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Your body will allow you to work out if you train it up to it. You could try doing more endurance based workouts (slower paced workouts, more reps) which would help a lot and keep you in the gym longer if you want that.