Has anyone tried chia seeds for weightloss?

Options
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has used chia seeds in their meals as an aid to weightloss? Ive read a few sites which states its good to keep sugar levels at bay and makes you feel fuller for longer without the bad fats and carbs.
Anyone had luck? How have you used the chia seeds?

Replies

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Stay away from fads and gimmicks. No, chia seeds don't help in weight loss. Eating at a calorie deficit helps in weight loss. Eat chia seeds if you enjoy them. Don't eat them for weight loss.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are a good source of protein and fiber, but they will not help you lose weight. I use them to stay "regular." However, one tablespoon is 60 calories, so make sure you count them!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds have nothing to do with weight loss. Eat at a deficit
  • IAmAPearl
    IAmAPearl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My mother in law drinks water with chia seeds everyday. She's from Mexico, and says it helps with the stomach - but idk if she meant digestion, stomach ache, bloat, who knows.
    I have some in my house, and I like them. They taste really nutty, and I like the crunch. They absorbed a ton of water, so if you stick them in a glass of water, the water gets gooey. Now that I'm thinking about it, I like it. Then you crunch the seeds.
    IMO they help with making you feel full and with cravings, but that's just my experience with them.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Here's some good information on it:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/386524-how-to-use-chia-seeds-for-weight-loss/

It's not a weight loss superfood - really it's just full of great nutrition and high fiber, it creates bulk in the diet - and it doesn't spoil like flax does. I love it in smoothies - great way to make the smoothie thicker.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    If they worked we would all be skinny and with supply and demand you could not find any to buy.........things that make you go hmmmmmmm.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    If they worked we would all be skinny and with supply and demand you could not find any to buy.........things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

hmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Debmal77
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

hmmmmmmmmmmm

lol made you go hmmmmmm!
  • arditarose
    Options

hmmmmmmmmmmm

lol made you go hmmmmmm!

Same goes for anything bogus people claim to be great for weight loss.
  • Debmal77
    Options

hmmmmmmmmmmm

lol made you go hmmmmmm!

I totally agree. People just don't want to put the effort in. Just want the quick fix. No such thing.. by the way...I would give anything to look like you....is that really you??? In your pictures???
  • arditarose
    edited May 2015
    Options

hmmmmmmmmmmm

lol made you go hmmmmmm!

I totally agree. People just don't want to put the effort in. Just want the quick fix. No such thing.. by the way...I would give anything to look like you....is that really you??? In your pictures???

lol it is me but I'm flexing and it was probably immediately after a heavy lifting session. But thank you :)
  • Debmal77
    Options

hmmmmmmmmmmm

lol made you go hmmmmmm!

lol it is me but I'm flexing and it was probably immediately after a heavy lifting session. But thank you :)

Your welcome.... :)
  • demartino100
    demartino100 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I add them 2 times a week to my meals more for health ...not so much for weight loss . I also alternate that with flax seeds mostly for fiber.
  • Calorie_Counting_K
    Calorie_Counting_K Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, maybe I will try them out in a smoothie then.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    kajalpoit wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone has used chia seeds in their meals as an aid to weightloss?

Yes, and not a single one of them has had any success.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I add them to yogurt, together with flax and hemp seeds, but only for fiber and because I like all the different textures.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat chia seeds everyday because I like them in my Greek yogurt along with my flax seeds. They won't help you lose weight, though.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    They are high in omega 3 fatty acids. I've heard they are good to add to water or juice.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I toss them in my yogurt. I tried the Chia Fresca thing (adding them to a glass of water & lemon). No thank you. It was like drinking a glass full of tad poles. :s
  • blueandmarigold
    blueandmarigold Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    I toss them in my yogurt. I tried the Chia Fresca thing (adding them to a glass of water & lemon). No thank you. It was like drinking a glass full of tad poles. :s
    BigGuy47 wrote: »