Exercising with Rheumatoid Arthritis

Options
I just found out that I had rheumatoid arthritis~ does anyone have any experience with this and any suggestions for exercising to lose weight when my hands, feet, and knees are sore most of the day?

Replies

• Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry. Personally, I know nothing. But I do know that one of the women in my theraputic yoga class has RA, and she says it is doing wonders for her. Now, mind you..this is theraputic yoga. Run by a woman who is a Dr. in physical therapy, and a really good yoga instructor, who combines her skills in PT to help those of us who wouldn't do very well in a regular yoga class.
    Could you find something like this in your area? Where are you from? Perhaps she might know someone in your area?

Good luck
    Sally
  • rosec005
    rosec005 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis as well (probably seronegative rheumatoid, the doctor doesn't want to make the call yet) and exercise has been pretty difficult for me. I was barely able to walk 1.5 years ago from pain in my knees and hips. The first thing I would suggest is physical therapy. Best decision I've ever made, it's not an instant fix but it got me on the right track. I started by using a machine called NuStep, which is similar to a stair climber sitting down, and eventually I was able to progress up to the elliptical (only 5 minutes at a time, though). It's been rough trying to lose weight, but after over a year in therapy, I'm able to do 40 minutes on the elliptical (low resistance) and 40 minutes on the recumbent bike (so you're sitting down, less pressure on your knees). You really need to discuss with your doctors and physical therapists and find out what your limitations are. For me, I'll never be able to run again, but I'm allowed to do as much on the bike and elliptical as I want. Good luck!
  • Lorijo50
    Lorijo50 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am sorry to hear you have RA. I have had it for 19 years now. You must find an excellent doctor, you need to be on the correct medications so you don't hurt too much. Gentle exercises help, I walk and swim when I am able and do Wii fit. I am on steroids, prednisone every other day. Its a low dosage, it is about what a normal body makes every day. I always figured I don't make enough naturally. It does make it very hard to lose weight. Taking it every other day keeps most of the horrible side effects away.

Every one who has it is different, it takes a lot of experimenting with the doctor to get it under control. Mine is stable, has not progressed.
  • mjtbb
    mjtbb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I also have RA. I had it for 22 years. My advise is don't give up on moving.When I first got it, it hit me really hard and fast. Just one year later I was having a hip replacement and it was completely out of control. Now, 22 years later Im doing well with meds, if I ever skip one I will feel it by the afternoon. It took a couple of years to get the right meds but that was a long time ago. Drs are better at it now. Still, in the beginning I stopped doing anything even remotely related to excersice. Of course my weight went out of control, and my muscles turned to mush. I'm trying to correct now 22 years of nothing. Figures it will catch up with me.
    In the beginning you can try doing swimming. Don't let it get to you and don't stop moving around. If you do it will be harder to get back. Make sure you have a rheumatologist if possible, most GP do not know the latest. There are tons of med options these days, Try them, make sure you have a DMARD (meds that modify you disease, not just pain pills). IF not, all you are doing is putting a band aid on the pain and inflammation and your bones will keep deteriorating. You don't want that. The arthritis foundation used to have this excercise videos call "PACE" they are pretty good to keep your range of motion. Of course I have them but haven't used them in years.
    Depending on which joints are your worst would also make a difference on the excersices that you can do. I didn't have issues with my knees so I could do stationary bike but my hips were gone the first year so walking was out of the question until I got a hip replacement. Each patient is different, as is each joint. Please make sure you go to a great doctor, get referals if you can, and make sure you like him/her. THey will be your partner for life as this disease does not go away, it gets better but you will forever have to make sure it stays that way.
    Good luck,

Melanie
  • gisela65
    gisela65 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello: I have RA since 1995. It was terrible in the beginning and took about a year to be diagnosed. Not until my GP decided to send me to a Rheumatologist I got the help needed so desperately. Not doing very well on Methotraxade, we tried several other meds till we finally stuck with Plaquenil. Meanwhile my hips deteriorated to the point where one was replaced 1998, the other in 2005. Enbrel, an injectable drug came on the market, I believe around 2000 and I am on it ever since. It was like a miracle back then. Was able to wean myself of Prednisone entirely and also quit the Plaquenile. The only other med taking for RA is a daily Celebrex. My knees however are now at the point to need replacing and I will go ahead with the 1st, this fall, the other Jan. 2012.
    I can't walk any distance but I am able to ride my bike and do so as often weather allows it. This winter I put on quite some weight and now also hope with the help of fitnespal to take it off again. I do some weights occasionally and probably should be more on a consistent to make it worth my while. As I said, bike riding is probably your best bet to keep active. Swimming of course would be ideal, no impact on any joints what so ever. I wish I had access to a pool but would need to get up 6am to make it there when it is available for disabled and older folks like me. That's just to damn early for me to get around.
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've seen alot of people posting the same info that I was going to offer, but I think I'm gonna give you my tips anyway. At least it will reiterate. I found out I had RA about 3 years ago. In my case, getting on the right medication is THE MOST IMPORTANT (cant stress that enough) thing you can possibly do. I was on a few different meds in the beginning and as frustrating as it can be, you have to give each of them time to see what works for you. Without the right treatment.. you wont be able to exercise without pain. Also, the less you move the more you hurt, but at the same time, you shouldnt over exert a joint that is warm and inflamed. So, take advantage of those moments when you're not feeling as bad. Good luck. I hope you have the same success fighting your arthritis that I've had. Losing even a small amount of weight has made such a huge difference to me. I hardly have any pain at all now. Feel free to add me. Also, not sure if you're a smoker, but I quit about 4 months ago and I believe that has made a huge impact on reducing my inflammation as well.