Trying to lose my college weight. Is this a good exercise regimen?

Options
apeyboo
apeyboo Posts: 16 Member
So I started college August 2014. Well I gained my freshman 30 and I'm trying to get rid of it. Of course I'm eating healthier now that I can cook my own meals. For exercise I was thinking about doing this daily, or 5 times a week: 30 minutes on treadmill 8% incline and 3.2 mph, Pilates for 30 minutes, and then getting on the treadmill again for an hour at 3% incline and 3.4 mph. In that exact order. Would losing 30 pounds in 2 months be attainable by following this regimen and a healthy diet? I was 150 when I started college and now I am 178-180. I would like to be 140 by the end of the summer; however, I am alright with weight my original 150. Also if you have any tips please share with me. Thanks (:

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    You could do all that and still not lose weight, weight loss starts in the kitchen.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You could do all that and still not lose weight, weight loss starts in the kitchen.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

/thread
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Could you do fast/faster/fast/faster/fast walking intervals? You can burn more fat in less time. (I read glycogen and fat are targeted with shorter more intensive interval cardio training.) Then you could push yourself harder (faster or more incline) as it gets easier. I would focus on a good program you can maintain for thirty days while you track your calories.
  • rmbellew
    rmbellew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    30 pounds in two months is a lot, but not necessarily impossible and not necessarily unhealthy either as long as you're eating enough of the right food. While walking everyday will certainly assist you in achieving your weightloss goals, I believe that diet will be the key factor. Take a look at the number of calories and quality of food that you're eating now, and after doing some research, decide on how many calories a day you should be eating. And then stick to it. My fitness pal is so helpful in tracking your calories and nutrition. It's made me so much more aware of what I'm choosing to nourish my body with.

As far as the exercise goes, walking is very good for you and burns fat effectively. Starting at 3.2 mph is great. If after some time you find that you aren't being challenged by that, pick up the pace a bit. Weight training is also very, very good for you! It took me a long time to feel confident enough in the gym to branch out from my cardio/core routine, but I'm glad I did.

The intensity of your workout seems like a great start, but maybe reconsider the length or schedule of your workouts. 2 hours a day 5-7 days a week is a huge commitment in my opinion (depending on your schedule I suppose!). If your schedule allows for it and you don't feel like you're over doing it, then go ahead and do it. Just make sure your workout goals are realistic so you don't get discouraged if you find that you can't stick to the commitment.

Disclaimer: I'm only speaking from experience and from lots of research I've done. I haven't had any sort of formal training in nutrition or fitness. Just giving my two cents in hopes of helping out a fellow mfp member!

No matter how quickly or slowly you start seeing results, it's awesome that you're ready to make these healthy changes in your life :) keep up the good work and I wish you the best!