Started at 407... finally hit 359.2 today!

Options
I started this journey weighing in at 407 lbs. I felt so depressed and hopeless. My legs were so swollen I could barely walk. My blood pressure was so high I felt like I was going to explode in my face, chest, arms and legs. I had headaches daily. Pain everywhere and all of the time. I am a registered nurse and lost hold of my career to wind up in a wheelchair. I also developed severe plaque psoriasis over the years causing my depression to worsen and forcing me into isolating in my home because I was embarrassed of my skin and felt like a leper.

For the past few years my household had started focusing more on the foods we consume. We switched to only free range meat about 5 years ago. More and more organics made there way into my kitchen as well. Last year my college aged son started reading labels and researching the meanings behind the long ingredients that were not part of our daily vocabulary. He discovered that there is so much hidden in the processed foods we eat. These hidden (disguised) ingredients include things like fat, sodium and sugar as well as a lot of gross stuff like bugs and human hair extracts. It's no wonder you continue to struggle with weight loss even when you think you are buying healthy stuff.

We finally decided if it's processed by someone else it is not good for us. My son went through all the kitchen cabinets, pantry and refrigerator/freezer and threw everything that was processed away. We shop very carefully now buying mostly fresh fruits, veggies, lean chicken and beef, low fat milk and dairy and always cage free/free range AND grass fed meats and eggs.

Recently my dad bought be a yogurt maker and we have begun making our own yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese and ricotta cheese from low fat grass fed non homogenized milk. My son started making me a fruit smoothie every day by adding frozen berries, fresh fruit, 1/4 cup of cold pressed fruit juice (no added sugar and always organic) along with some ginger and turmeric. It is amazing how I suddenly have ZERO headaches, pain has decreased throughout my body by at least 75% and my psoriasis seems to be fading away. It is now barely noticeable on my hands and arms and I have been able to get outside more without feeling like everyone was staring at me or moving their children away from me.

I still ride the scooter in the places I go where there is a lot of walking involved but have gradually increased my mobility by leaving the scooter behind whenever it is a short distance. I have built up to walking the entire way at Whole Foods (it is smaller than most big grocery stores but still a huge accomplishment for me.

My knees have recently begun to give me problems because as the doctor said "you may be doing too much too fast". My excitement about my progress though has propelled my motivation leaps and bounds and really makes me want to do more and more.

To date I have lost 47.8 lbs. I joined MFP when I was about 389 so according to my MFP profile it shows 30lbs lost. Either way I am extremely relieved and proud of how FAR I have come, not just on the scale but in my mindset. I do believe that what made the difference this time, aside from terrific family support, is dealing with the psych/emotional/spiritual side first. This has given me the strength to make good choices and be motivated to do more.

And so today I finally reached my first milestone goal! I hit the 350s, a place I haven't seen in more than 4 years. My "mini" goals from here out will be in 10 lb increments with my milestone goals being 299, 249, 199, 149 and goal! While the weights are specific goals, my ultimately goal is to continue getting health and to maintain the healthiest lifestyle possible, free of processed foods, junk foods and meats that have been fattened up with corn, soy and all kinds of other stuff.

I want to thank all the friends I have made on MFP for their support and as always I love to make new friends so please feel free to add me as your friend. I wish everyone the best on their journeys. May the healthiest lifestyle be with your!

Replies

• slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    What an awesome success story! Congratulations!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thank you for doing this for yourself and trying to do better! Great job so far and I bet we'll be seeing a success story with spectacular results when you reach your goal. And thanks for the story. These can be so motivating when you start to feel like you're not going anywhere. I love hearing stories of anyone's success.
  • MoreFabbLessFlab
    MoreFabbLessFlab Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Stories like this keep me motivated! How proud you must be! Keep up the good work. I'm going to add you as a friend to keep my goals in check as well!
  • summersundries
    summersundries Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great job, this is fantastic news. You can do this
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Good on you making the positive changes that you've made.
  • mixie2004
    mixie2004 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I'm happy for you.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Very well done :-)
  • Greenkat57
    Greenkat57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great job! I need to follow your progress. I started w/MFP a few months ago and have lost 36 pounds to date. I am a 'heavyweight' with over 100 more pounds to lose. I am going to do it!

I also felt like crap. I began to have mobility issues. One of the final reasons for me deciding it was time to change was having to get in the scooter to grocery shop b/c I felt my legs would give out before I got done.

Keep up the good work! Great motivational story!

Kathy
  • anewmemeant2be
    anewmemeant2be Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone!

@Greenkat57 - i completely understand what you mean. the first two weeks after my son did the clean sweep of the kitchen i literally was shaking and sweating like crazy. i couldn't believe i started eating better and immediately started feeling worse. i was DETOXING from all the garbage i used to eat. after i got over that period i felt better than ever. my doctors are saying that detoxing is exactly what my body was doing. now w\hen i eat anything that has more sugar, salt or fat than normal i know right away because i feel worse again. it has helped me to discover that chocolate was a key reason i got headaches. you learn so much about your own body and what it needs or doesn't want when you simplify. great job on your weight loss as well!
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your progress so far, your story is very inspiring!
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Mom2ACJC
    Mom2ACJC Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story.
  • cahf
    cahf Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Way to go and it sounds like you have a great family behind you!
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I know what you mean about being challenged physically. I have back issues that limit my mobility as well. The beginning of 2013 I was close to 400#. Today I am in the 260's, although I still have 100# to go before I am in normal range, I have gained so much more. I am no longer on medication for diabetes and my other medications have been greatly reduced. Just remember you can do it, just keep plugging along. You didn't gain it overnight and much the same you won't lose it overnight. I wish you all the best in life!
    Big hugs, Rebekah <3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!