Need a fitness routine

AZnewbie00
AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have an extremely hard time motivating myself if I don't have some type of routine to follow. I don't have the money to join a gym or hire a personal trainer. I have about 60 + lbs to lose. Anyone have any success creating some type of plan to follow? If so can you please share? Thanks

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    I've lost 65 pounds since September 2014, and for the first 55 of them I did not own a scale or count calories.

My formula: eat healthy (as always), and run. I stopped eating cereal or a bagel every morning for breakfast, but I did not cut out carbs. I definitely upped my fat (via nuts) intake but made no other big dietary changes.

Sure, I stopped eating ice cream, and started avoiding seconds and thirds, especially when I noticed my clothes were getting looser, which motivated me even more, but basically the primary thing I did was step up my activity. That of course helped created a calorie deficit.

Your mileage may vary.

Disclaimer, I am a former distance runner and wanted to be one again. I had no underlying health problems preventing me from running except of course that I was carrying 100 extra pounds on my body. I love running and am glad I can again. I'm 53.

• fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Start by walking daily. Google bodyweight exercises to add in strengh training. It doesn't need to be anything fancy or expensive.
  • AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    Do you weigh your food or count calories at all or did you just stop eating bad foods?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    I meant to add that the running also appealed to me because it is low cost and can be done anywhere, like walking. If you want to build a new habit, make it easy to 'fall' into the habit.

Just the ritual of putting on my running gear helped early on to push me out the door. Now I do not need motivation, I go because I love the time outside, and the fitness I've gained and weight I've lost.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    mwyvr wrote: »
    I meant to add that the running also appealed to me because it is low cost and can be done anywhere, like walking. If you want to build a new habit, make it easy to 'fall' into the habit.

Just the ritual of putting on my running gear helped early on to push me out the door. Now I do not need motivation, I go because I love the time outside, and the fitness I've gained and weight I've lost.

Well said....that easy.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    If you want a routine try the C25K app to start running. There are various free apps & podcast as well as it being writen up online. That will give you 3 sessions a week for 9 weeks and take you from walking to running for 30mins.