58 year old trying to get back to a healthy me

Options
Hi. My name is Lynn. Trying to get back to a healthy me. History of total knee replacements so i am looking for anyone out there who is in a similar boat. Working out at the gym 4 days a week. Can't run but my heart is there.

Replies

• lisaweaver3
    lisaweaver3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, Lynn. I have sketchy knees so running is out. I really enjoy Leslie Sansone walking videos. Great cardio, some firming and toning and very little strain on the knees. I also enjoy ballroom dancing as I find it really strengthens and protects my knees. And pilates for my core.
  • ssmiley123
    ssmiley123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Lynn, I'm 58 as well..trying to stay as healthy as possible... I'm spinning 3 times a week @ my local "Y".... It's less stressful on the knees....

• In2mece
    In2mece Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have not been very healthy in the aspect of exercise for years. I walked but not faithfully. I have adopted the thought that it is never too late.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hello Lynn!

It is never too late.

I am also called Lynn. I am 51 and in the UK. Last year I was 194lb and obese. Now I am 142lb and getting fit. My knees are shot, so I can't run. I am hoping they won't get any worse. I lift weights and do strength training. Add me if you would like a friend :)
  • notfbam
    notfbam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I m 54 ( female) and NEED new knees. I m putting it off as long as possible due to being so 'young'!
    I use the rowing machine and stationary bike 4 days a week and some light weights and cardio woth a trainer 2 days a week.
    4 months and 32-35 lbs down and TONS of inches gone. I never eat my exercise calories. The exercise and wt loss has improved the knee pain immensely!
    Good luck to you---syart your exercises gently n work up slowly and change up the intensity or the speed or the length of time when you're bored or feel stagnated
    Also some planks n floor work are great for folks w knee problems. Use lotd of knee padding and get to it! :)
  • In2mece
    Options
    Thank you for the tips. I have a long way to go but I didn't get here overnight so patience is the key.
  • mamamiau
    mamamiau Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, Lynn. I'm 67, have really bad arthritis in one knee and can tell the other one is in danger, too. I've been counseled to lose at least 30 pounds (lower my BMI to merely "overweight") before the surgeon will even consider replacement surgery for me. Have also been warned against weight-bearing exercise, but to build strength in my thigh muscles. So I have just started doing water exercises, mostly calisthenics but some swimming. Have been reading about the Sansone Walk at Home videos and will be looking into those.
  • In2mece
    Options
    Thank you for your encouragement. I am finding I can do things at the gym I never thought I would. It's a slow process. I find myself asking myself daily, how did I loose control. Stay strong. I had one knee replacement at age 50 and second at 54. I don't regret it one bit.