Reached my goal -NEED ADVICE!

Options
Hi All, I've reached the goal I set 18 months ago and lost 30lbs. I'm really happy with this weight but want to tone and firm up. Increase muscle mass I suppose. So any advice? Should I keep a deficit in my calories so that I can build muscle weight and still keep the scale weight around the same?
Thanks!

Replies

• Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle on a deficit, if you want to build muscles you need to eat at a surplus.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How quickly do you want to build muscle? If you don't want to take up bodybuilding in the near future, and see this as a long term improvement, perhaps consider do a "recomp" - a long term, slower process that comes with slower muscle growth, but less of the fat gain (or none!)

Great new goal by the way - remember to not focus on the scale. Try relying on photos and measurements more. You may end up being kgs heavier but the same size or smaller (or leaner)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    If you like your scale weight, you could switch to maintenance and do more strength exercises. You may not need to be in a surplus in order to see the toning and firming up you really want to see.
  • imogen__may
    imogen__may Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try the website 'lift like a girl' for advice, that's a great way to start lifting and everything's explained for you. You can buy a little PDFS from her that has videos etc in so you know exactly what you're doing plus she talks about food and what to eat :) congrats on goal weight!
  • lauraloy2013
    lauraloy2013 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! That's great! Yeah you're right I don't want to be a bodybuilder and do it drastically so probably measurement are the way to go. I need to get over my focus on the scale. I'll check out that website now - thanks guys!