Strength training and loosing tummy question.

How would a total newbie at this start strength training at home, with little to no equipment. I just really don't know where to start. Also ideas for exercises to loose my tummy.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2015
    Eat at a calorie deficit to lose overall body fat. You cannot spot reduce fat from your stomach.

If you have little/no equipment and don't want to buy any, look into bodyweight training. A few programs to google are You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning.
  • candice293
    candice293 Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you @jemhh!
  • CupcakeQueen86
    CupcakeQueen86 Posts: 76 Member
    Strength training does tone your stomach, buy two dumbells 1-2kg each to start off with, I paid like £5 for two OR use two water bottles filled with water or sand and try these workouts, they are fun and you work your whole body.
    :) Watch "30 min Beginner Total Body Dumbbell Workout with Voice Over" on YouTube - https://youtu.be/SfZURkuxgkA
  • candice293
    Thank you, I will definitely give it a go! @sidrah_yunas
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Pick up some hand weights that feel heavy enough for you to do several reps of exercises with. it doesnt take too much investment in something like this or a kettlebell, maybe a yoga mat if you need it. As you further progress maybe you can get heavier weights. In my area, there is a store nearby called Play It Again Sports that sell used weights, workout equipment and more.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Youtube videos about stretching.
  • candice293
    Thank you @vixtris and @fabian_chipper
  • PeachesandCream2015
    PeachesandCream2015 Posts: 10 Member
    nice B)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    candice293 wrote: »
    Also ideas for exercises to loose my tummy.
    There are no magical exercises to lose your tummy. Contrary to popular belief, there's no such thing as spot reduction. Lose the excess calories and you will lose the tummy fat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    candice293 wrote: »
    Also ideas for exercises to loose my tummy.
    There are no magical exercises to lose your tummy. Contrary to popular belief, there's no such thing as spot reduction. Lose the excess calories and you will lose the tummy fat.

This.

And as for strength training without free weights/gym...I would just go with what @jemhh mentioned, body weight exercises. 2 pound weights aren't going to do much for you.