been maintaining but not always easy

Options
I lost over 85 lbs from about 190 to 102 to 105, depending on the day. I'm 5'2", so I can't eat much. My maintenance calories according to my goals on this app are 1470. I only count when I have had some difficulties. Usually, I go by what the nutritionist said: to weigh every day to monitor and on a scale of 1-10, never get hungrier than a 3 or fuller than a seven. I still obsess and worry a lot, but I have been in maintenance for about 6 months. Took me a year and a half to lose the weight.

Replies

• hillmike56
    hillmike56 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of success Congratulations.
  • jdtractorjd
    jdtractorjd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Super great job. Maintaining is the hardest part!

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this! I'm at a stall after losing about 65 pounds (some before MFP) and I know it's because I'm not eating at a great enough deficit to lose at this weight. I too am 5'2", plus I'm older than you.

It's hard accepting the fact that my body just doesn't require very many calories. No wonder I was so fat!

55835802.png
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    You are doing well! I haven't lost as much as you, but we are the same height and close to the same weight. Do you exercise much? I've been maintaining at 107-108 for about four years now and I eat anywhere from 1500-2000 calories/day depending on whether I can work out. I've always thought MFP low-balled maintenance cals somewhat, even for short women. It is really hard though since we have little wiggle room, I have to log my food daily. My weight creeps up the minute I stop counting calories.
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm also short, 5'0 maintaining at 108-110, my weight stays in my weight range at 1350 as opposed to mfp suggestion of 1460 where i seem to always gain weight.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Really great accomplishment. I want to lose 80 in total and figured 1 1/2 yrs. it would probably take me, like you said for you. Almost half way there!
  • daralfox
    daralfox Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for all of these great replies. I can't find the time to actually exercise, but I'm not sedentary at all. I have a four level house, and I'm up and down stairs all the time. I also lost the weight in chunks. The first 50 pounds took about 6 months. The last 30 took about a year. I have goid days and bad, but writing and hearing from you all helps! I hope we keep it off!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It sounds like you are doing great. Keep it up! :)
  • artlover47
    artlover47 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm not to maintanence yet, but i'm 5'2" and used to weigh 230lbs. I'm down to 138 now and have my next goal set at 125, but I'll probably lower it again. I know what you all mean about not needing as many calories as taller people and not having much "wiggle room" without gaining. I am glad to see that so many of you shorter ladies get around 1500 and that seems to work. Did you switch to the recommended maintenance level all at once or work up to it over a few months and make sure you weren't gaining, like just increasing 50-100 calories per day over several weeks and seeing how it went? That's probably what I'll do when I get to a weight where I am satisfied to make sure my MFP calorie goals are right for me, as bunnypy suggests it may not be correct. Anyway - glad you have had such success! And interesting what the nutritionist told you about hunger/fullness...good to know.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I maintain at 2000.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You are doing great, well done on your loss and maintaining. I'm sure you could maintain eating a few hundred cals more than you do though.
    I'm 5ft 2" /45 yrs/ maintain on 2200 cals. I workout an hour a day/ half strength/cardio.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes maintaining is difficult...for me it's avoiding high-cal foods that's tough! I love cooking cakes for my kids! but also eating them!!
    I like your suggestion of staying in the 3-7 for fullness, range
    :-)