need encouragement to get clothes fitting quickly and running isn't an option

Options
I really have given up on the scale. It always sets me back. I'm 5'4 and when at a size 8 and 20% body fat I was 148 pounds. I tracked my food and kept my steps over 10,000 and the scale went up . I have a lot of swelling in my left leg though. I am up 2 clothes sizes and looking forward to moving back into my size 8's and 10's. I am no longer able to run and I'm wondering what type of exercise has truly been effective for quick results like 30 days and things are starting to fit better? I have arthritis in my knee and the pain doesn't go away. I don't have access to a pool but I can ride my bike. Any thoughts?

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your calories?
  • choosingequilibrium
    choosingequilibrium Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yes, on the tracker
  • MissShannonFit
    MissShannonFit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    First, I don't personally believe in "quick results". That being said.. you may find that light weight lifting could be beneficial for you. Most people burn more while lifting weights and doing balance/strength training type exercises. I would also check with a doctor before starting another workout routine, just so you know how much you can actually do without causing damage to your leg/knee.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    there is no specific exercise that gets faster results. Do whatever exercise you can, just do more of it and eat less. Ride your bike...but ride longer that you currently are...or maybe try some sprints with it on occasion to mix it up.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Track your calories the best you can. Make sure you're weighing food on a food scale and not forgetting drinks/condiments/cooking oil. Running is not for weight loss, so don't even sweat it. I lost most of my weight when I STOPPED running, and started lifting. But really, it's about CICO.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    +1 to checking with doctor about a new workout routine. I also question the quick results goal.

You say you are tracking, but are you eating at a deficit for your new activity level? While you figure out a new workout plan, you should still be able to see some results from eating at a deficit. Unfortunately, if you were running a lot before to maintain your weight, it may be that even 10,000 steps isn't enough to match your previous calorie burns. Don't know what method you are using, but I would focus on figuring out what my current TDEE is and work back from there. If you are gaining inches and pounds, you are likely eating over maintenance. I like this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Good luck.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    It's going to be about calories. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight.
    Don't set a time frame though. You didn't gain this over night, so won't lose it over night.
    Weigh all your foods on a food scale and log everything accurately.
    Pick any activity that your able to do and enjoy. There's not going to be one that will cause faster results. Just eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight.