Creating recipes In App

Options
Savage_Angel
Savage_Angel Posts: 12 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I want to do a bunch of cooking today for the next week and I'd like to put some of my recipes in this app but I'm not sure if I put the recipe in as I make it and then break it up or how do I log single servings? It seems a bit complicated. I'm not very good at this yet so if someone could help me it would be much appreciated.

Replies

• PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You put in the total amount of the recipe, like one pound of ground turkey, one chopped pablano pepper, 1/2 chopped onion, 1 tspn chipotle chili powder. 6 buns.

When you tell it how many servings you split it into (6 in this case), it divides the calories up equally. Then when you eat you just log how many servings you had.

For soups and stews, I find it easiest if I use the total number of cups of water as the number of servings, then ladle it out using a 1c measuring cup...which often means I have 2 or 3 servings but there aren't that many calories in chicken soup.
  • Savage_Angel
    Options
    Thank you. Today I'm making a couple of meat loaves, some chili and maybe some cabbage soup with ground beef and I wasn't sure how to enter the recipes. Hopefully I can get the portions set up correctly.
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I usually log all the ingredients that go into a recipe as I'm going (I cook on the fly) and then once everything is done, I weigh the whole batch to determine a convenient # servings.

So if my soup (or whatever) ends up weighing 3200 grams, I'll enter it in as 32 servings, which conveniently gives you 100g/serving (sometimes I'll scale it to 10g/serving depending on the type of food). And that way when you ladle up your soup and it wieghs in at 250g, you can just enter it as 2.5 servings. This gives you flexibility and doesn't lock you into a serving size.

Hope that helps!
  • Savage_Angel
    Options
    Thanks so much! I was wondering about portion sizes and how to divide things. I'm not used to this. I'm just used to eating whatever I want lol. That's probably part of why I'm overweight hehehe