Hello fellow ex alcoholics :)

Options
I feel i have the need to talk to some fellow ex addicts, mainly because i never expected from everything i have done that alcohol would have made such an impact in my life.

Ofc like every addict in the beginning i thought i had it under control and i could stop easy at any moment.

Ive been drinking pretty much since i was 16 (turned 35 last month) but that was only in the weekends, smoking weed, smoking tabacco, every now and then on (dutch) hardcore parties some xtc and every now and then some coke.

Now the X and coke never really stuck with me but the alcohol did slowly. I became homeless in my early 20's and moved from place to place, work to work and then when i finally thought "i need help" i ended up in a homeless shelter for the first time when i was 26. From there on i almost drunk daily but small amounts, just to get that buzz.

2010 after been in shelters several times, past haunting me, failed relationships i once again ended up in a shelter but this time determined to solve my past. It has been a long road but after sticking with it i have my own apartment again since dec.2014, and have worked out my debts that i have 2,5 yrs left.

But, since 2010 i have been boosing like crazy, pretty much to feel something, i dropped several times into depression cause i would get frustrated by my past, having no mom and dad or family and then i would feel dead inside so i would grab the whiskey again to at least feel something and feel nice for a little while. This went from 1-2 times in the week to every other day for the past 2 years.

Now you would think having one family where a uncle and aunt died before they were 30 cause of drugs abuse and a grandfather i never knew that was a alcoholic i would know better,
but I would go hardcore, start off with a bottle of cheap whiskey, after i would drink anything i would get my hands on, beer, wine, rum etc.

This went on till last month, when im totally wasted i would message friends with total bs and dont remember it the next day and the last time i said some really bad *kitten* to a female friend of mine who is the gf of one of my best mates.

Now they have forgiven me but that was the moment i realised i really needed to change plus the weight i gained from all those sugars didnt really benefit my health either.

So, i have not touched any alcohol for almost 20 days and finished the first week of working out but it has been hard. Ive quite smoking for 9 months but that didnt cost me any problems, quitting alcohol is harder than i thought and i just wanted to see how my fellow ex addicts cope with it and how they are doing.

Hmm, i actually only wanted to type the last paragraph and not this whole story so sorry for the long story gheghe at least its out of my system :D

Replies

• lollye51
    lollye51 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    Congratulations on your sobriety! The getting back in shape and taking control is now within your grasp. You have come so far in such a short time. Be kind to your self and look forward
    because there lies monsters in the past. Nothing matters more than today.
    I am here if you need me,but I know you have this sorted.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your recovery. I know the grasp that something, some substance, can have on your entire life. 20 days is amazing. I bet the first week was hell. I know! Try keeping a diary and recording some of your thoughts on each day. Sounds kinda lame, yes, but reading how you feel each day when you're tempted to relapse can hopefully keep you grounded. Your body needs time to recover, so my advice for now is to eat well balanced meals and start exercising slowly if you're not use to it!

Best wishes on your recovery and journey to a healthier body and mind.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I am not a former alcoholic, so i can't help you with that. But i have been a non smoker for 13 months, so if you need any help with that, let me know.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    20 days is fantastic! You can do this, it only gets better from here! Great job in posting this too! Being healthy and sober is the best thing you'll ever do I promise.

* not an alcoholic myself but 4 years 10 months clean heroin/opiate addict, (also tee total) here if you need to vent or need someone to talk to. Is there a group on here btw? I can't search groups jut browse.
  • Doveigh
    Doveigh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your past does not define you, don't drag crap forward with you just look what you can do 20 days!!! Well done stick with it want something better for your self and go get it one day at a time you are what you believe, believe you can and you will.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    Options
    Thnx for all the replies and support, you guys rock.

@kickassbarbie indeed weird, i can only browse the groups too but no search option or im missing something but it would sure come in handy.
  • ashleyturner426
    ashleyturner426 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats Taurus! I understand the struggle you're having, addictions are hard to fight. But I know with enough time, effort, and support you're capanle of this!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    9 years clean. Keep up the vigilance.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being 20 days sober! It's going to be important to surround yourself with supportive people...AA groups are awesome for that! You CAN TOTALLY do this! Take it day by day and minute by minute when you need to.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    Options
    Thanks all, i have considered AA but nothing real close here. Basicly im kicking it on my own without meds or groups although i said a while back if i would fall into addiction again i would but im a taurus so kinda stubborn :D i want to do this alone. I have always had to do everything alone so i got this!!

Starting week 2 today with exercising, got this!!
  • megcorey
    megcorey Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Your family history nd recent happenings are very similar to mine i havent done the other drugs alcohol is my main choice iv so far only managed to make 5 days at a time before i caved but im not giving up i learned if i can control the binge right now im better off for the moment anyway i had never realized alcohol was everywhere !! In everything we do my husband drinks nd hes really not much help i guess u just have to keep pushing
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    Options
    Thanks for sharing x you got this too!