Iron deficiency - please share your tips

Options
2»

Replies

• safianat
    safianat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am eating plenty of eggs.. its the type of food I like, mainly salads, veg and pasta, chicken fillets my favourite but all this doesn't help. Love lentils, will add to my diet more often, spinach sounds good for salads thank you :) Maybe yes.. I need to take iron supplements.. only don't like side effects. . Thank you aggelikik :)
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately if it is a true iron deficiency, you will need to do more than just eat iron rich foods. Get a blood test to make sure and then buy an iron supplement with vitamin c in it. Not sure about other countries but here in Australia there are two kinds of iron supplements. Some say "not for the treatment of iron deficiencies or anemia" and are available at supermarkets etc. while there are others that are actual pharmacy grade supplements for treating deficiencies. It is very common for iron supplements to cause upset stomachs and bowel issues but personally I think that's better than the problems low iron levels can bring. I've heard that taking the supplements with food can help ease stomach pains but dairy, eggs and foods high in fibre can inhibit the absorption of iron so you have to be careful.
  • auntyp147
    auntyp147 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    safianat wrote: »
    I did take course of 3 months iron supplements, hemoglobin levels went up by one point even I could donate blood (was chuffed about it) but still don't like the idea of taking tablets all the time. . I understand that the best way would be all that liver - beef - animal thing but it's hard for me.. just don't like it..
    Thank you all for replying, I appreciate your help

I've got 27 more days left to go of the 90 day course of supps that I'm on. Can't wait to finish these as I get side effects too. There's alot of info available online about iron rich foods and others here have posted suggestions too. Red meat is recommended as the best source of iron, but there are other options out there if you can't eat meat. Definitely see a dr and get a blood test done (if you haven't done so already) so you know if you really need the supplements or not. Your hemoglobin and ferritin levels may not be as low as you think they are. :)

• safianat
    Options
    Thank you all :)
  • NexStar3
    NexStar3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cook in a cast iron pan. Sounds bizarre but it is made of iron & you get minute amounts. It all helps and it can take up to a year to restore Iron to proper amounts in your body.
  • safianat
    Options
    Oh wow! Thank you :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Floradix is an iron supplement that doesn't have the side effects of some iron tablets. It comes in liquid or pill form and both work. It was recommended to me by a nurse at the blood donation clinic.
  • safianat
    Options
    This sounds just perfect! Thank you very much!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are low in calories and have a lot of iron,
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Find a good iron supplement and take it with a vitamin C tab too. Vitamin C helps absorption, whereas coffee and tea (and I think dairy) block it. So time when u take the supplement right.

If nothing seems to be working, maybe try liquid iron. I didn't notice much of a difference between that and the cheapest iron pills (when taken right), but some people swear by it, so may be worth looking into.

Low iron _sucks_ so I hope you find something that works for you.

Edit: Lol nm, read the comments and it looks like everyone's already covered what I said, but better ;)
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    There are many iron containing leafy vegetables. Best natural choice.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    One thing not mentioned is clams and oysters. They all loaded with iron.
  • safianat
    Options
    j6o4 wrote: »
    Mushrooms are low in calories and have a lot of iron,

This this something I never knew! Love mushrooms, thank you :)

• safianat
    Options

Edit: Lol nm, read the comments and it looks like everyone's already covered what I said, but better ;)[/quote]

Thank you very much! :)

• governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get back on what @Nexstar3 stated;

1673101-inline-750-ironfish.jpg

DID YOU KNOW?

In Rural Cambodia people use a lightweight iron ingot, they simply throw it in their pot when cooking soup or boiling water.
    The ingot was designed to supply iron at a slow, steady rate.
    More than 75% of daily iron requirements can be met with regular use.

It's inexpensive and reliable. Just as good as cooking in a cast iron pot or pan.

However, in reality, as previous commenters stated, it's most advised to get your iron intake through actual food.
    Supplements should really only be a last resort.
  • hvjc
    hvjc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I take an iron supplement called "blood builder" which is very very gentle on the digestive system. Make sure you do not take it when you have dairy.

Spinach has a substance that will block your absorption of iron too.

My favourite iron meal: add 1 can of clams to tomato sauce (home made is yummiest) and serve on fortified pasta. No cheese! Gets you lots of iron.