What do yall do with old clothes you no longer fit into?

Options
NiqueKristan
NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have a bunch of nice clothes that are too big for me now. Rock & republic jeans, Levi's, workout leggings... Any suggestionS on what to do with them?

Replies

• ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Are they in good shape? Do you have a platos closet in your area? Or goodwill, or give them away.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I donate mine in the used clothing drop-off box.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    When I finally saw that I had a closet of clothes that where just way too big, I packaged them all up and took them to the good will store. I donated 11 huge trash bags of clothes sizes 16 to 7. And I kept anything below a size 6.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I donate mine to charity.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Poshmark is another one. I think my daughter sold everything she owns there and then says: I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!! LOL

Mine went to goodwill and sent some junk to brother-in-law. That was more of me making a point: Here, try on these fat pants!!!
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Donate them. Amvets comes to the neighborhood every so often so I bag them and leave them on the porch for them to pick up.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sell mine. Some of the dresses were a couple hundred dollars, as well as the jeans. I just need to get around to it.
  • georunner316
    georunner316 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I donate all of mine to a local charity. They always get a big smile on their face when I walk in with three bags of clothes and shoes. My feet shrunk when I lost weight too! If it is something super expensive and in good shape that you don't want to just donate, there are often second hand stores that will purchase clothing.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If its nice take it to consignment or sell on Craigslist or ebay. The others in les great shape donate or toss anything holey or broken or stained up real bad please toss those cause they throw them out!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I donated all of my stuff. We also have a couple of stores here that will either sell used clothes on consignment or they will buy them directly from you...I didn't have anything that nice or special though.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Sewing machine for whatever can be altered to fit. Consignment stores or friperies for the really good stuff. Donation bins for everything else.

... Eventually. For now I'm hanging onto a lot of it, not because I think I'll gain the weight back, but it's only been a few months and I can't say I 100% trust myself yet not to.
  • svetlay
    svetlay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Donated to Goodwill and then went shopping in Goodwill Boutique. It felt soooo good. Told a couple of my friends to remind me how expensive it would be to re-buy my fat clothes in case I ever let myself go.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I freecycle clothes, and lots of other stuff. Right now my raspberries are spreading like weeds and I'm freecycling them. A few weeks ago I was freecycling strawberry plants. I have dropped things off at Goodwill as well, but I like the community interaction of freecycle.

https://www.freecycle.org
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Disabled Veterans, Goodwill, Big Brothers and Sisters and a local shelter for women are the places I took all of my clothes.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that problem yet, I haven't lost enough to not fit into them, but I will be giving mine to a thrift store/Salvation Army.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I donate all of mine to a local charity. They always get a big smile on their face when I walk in with three bags of clothes and shoes. My feet shrunk when I lost weight too! If it is something super expensive and in good shape that you don't want to just donate, there are often second hand stores that will purchase clothing.

I thought it said: My feet stunk.. sorry, please contiue. :hushed:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have been giving my clothes to a charity in my town that provides a soup kitchen and gives clothing to the homeless in the area, and they work with the women's shelter to provide clothing for the residents who come there with nothing. They also have a section of nicer clothing that people can borrow for things like job interviews, then they can take a small selection when they get hired so they have job appropriate clothes.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I donate mine to Goodwill.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So I have a bunch of nice clothes that are too big for me now. Rock & republic jeans, Levi's, workout leggings... Any suggestionS on what to do with them?

I bring them to work and drop them off at a woman's shelter if they are in good condition and not under garments. The way I see it is most of these women show up at a shelter with nothing but the clothes they are wearing and maybe a few personal items. Most are grateful to get any type of "like new" clothing.

Other places that will accept "nice", "like new" clothing are job corp type places. They are always looking for clothing for people to wear to interviews and such. Homeless shelters are also great places to donate to.

If the clothes are really new and still have tags, you maybe able to go to a thrift shop and "sell" them for store credit. Sometimes they will even give store credit to clothing without tags. I had a friend who did this all throughout Her weightloss journey to save money on clothing as she dropped in sizes.

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    The nicer items I haven't worn often and don't plan to alter will be donated to goodwill.

Every day clothes I'm mostly wearing and/or altering until they are worn out. I either recycle the material into things for my animals (patchwork beds, blankets) or make cleaning rags.