Running/Jogging

Options
I'm just wondering...does running or jogging cause a person to build muscle and therefore gain weight? I'm currently losing weight and adding running to my fitness program. I eat protein but I don't pack it in or anything. I really don't wanna build heavy muscle mass. Any tips?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Running isn't really an exercise which will cause you to gain muscle mass. No exercise will really do that efficiently without your diet being conducive to that, and it's not easy to do even with a proper strength training routine. Running is a cardiovascular exercise, so it helps improve your heart and lung function, burns calories, and although you experience muscular adaptations when you begin running, the muscles don't really get bigger. The only way running might be a factor in some people gaining weight as it does make some people hungry, and then the temptation is to eat beyond just replenishing the calories you burnt off.

However, resistance training helps to retain strong muscles, which is helpful for running, so you may want to think about that too.
  • michellechristinetuohy
    Options
    Thank you for the info!!!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You're not going to gain huge amounts of muscle eating at a deficit regardless of what exercise you're doing.