gym vs running outside

Options
Hi, I have a question.

I love running/walking outside. But I want to lose an extra 20 pounds. Which do you think is a better way for me to burn more calories. I go to the gym every day because I paid for the membership and I don't want to waste my money. I am considering canceling my membership so I could run outside, but I don't want to so if I am going to lose out on burning a few more calories by going to the gym.

Any advice is helpful.

Replies

• hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Exercise is exercise. Stay with whatever makes you happy- though it's nice to have a an indoor option when the weather won't cooperate.
  • houghj3
    houghj3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I prefer being outside as well, I pay for my gym membership for the option of other services. Sauna, swimming, weights, basketball, soccer, low impact cardio (thinking elipticals). For myself if I go twice a week I am fine with the monthly expenditure. I get a small social aspect out the gym as well (my job is pretty isolating), and weather in my hometown is a consideration.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Have to go with what will keep you moving and such. I jog outside but I go to the gym to lift weights, which I don't have at home or outside.
  • manders_b
    manders_b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love to run outside, as well, but keep a cheap (Plane Fitness is $10/mo) gym membership for weight training, resistance and rainy/cold days. It's also nice for working out after dark or at lunch during the workday. The key to long-term fitness is finding an activity you love, so if you really like running outside, do it! If you find after a month or two that you're not using your gym membership, you may want to consider cancelling and investing in a kettlebell set or something to help with your strength at home. Sometimes the cancellation fees are just as much as the yearlong membership though so be cautious...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    run outside and use the weight room in the gym
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside when the weather is nice and use the gym for using other equipment or yoga classes. I still feel like I am getting my money's worth out of my membership and I get to enjoy being outside after being cooped up inside all day for work.

As far as the calorie burn, you could throw in hills or sprints outside to mimic the routines that you may do on the treadmill. Also, a HRM may help you to see if there is a big difference between the two for you. Using mine I have found that there isn't that big of a difference for when I run outside versus running on the treadmill.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You run on a treadmill? I used to run in a circuit in a gym, not in a treadmill, running outside surely beats running in the gym however there are some variables to consider; rain, lightnings, also running stimulates your bowel which might lead to urges for a toilet, consider that too.

I'd try running in the outside and see how it goes. Good luck.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    It is a little harder to run outside than it is on a treadmill so you will burn more calories outside (assuming the same speed, incline, etc.) However it's a small difference. If that is all you do, I would quit the gym. The gym might be worthwhile if you don't like to run outside when it's hot or cold. It also might be worthwhile if you decide to use some of the other equipment or take classes. But as long as you exercise, it really doesn't matter where you do it.

• healthymom1087
    healthymom1087 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the feedback, it was really helpful. :)
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If it weren't for my dog it would be all gym the ticks where I live drive me nuts
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you like better. If the difference is between paying to run on a treadmill and running outside, running outside would win every time. But there are things I can only do at the gym that I really love. The best exercise is the one you will actually do.
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Dont be afraid to add some resistance training to your routine as well.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Death before treadmill...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    It is a little harder to run outside than it is on a treadmill so you will burn more calories outside (assuming the same speed, incline, etc.) However it's a small difference.

It's about 20%. So running 5 miles outside is like running 6 miles on a flat treadmill.

• marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    run outside and go to the gym to lift! I save treadmill running for after dark or bad weather, or if i am having one of those days where i might not be able to make it back to the car after hitting the halfway point lol.
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Mix up your running with strength training. I alternate days so I run outside on certain days, and others I'm in the gym for weights.
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    they are so different, its really up to you! Vitamin D never hurts when you run outside :)
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Do whatever motivates you.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Depending on what gym you go to....watch for "sign up fees" and all that stuff. I started a new program and will rarely be at my gym that I pay $44 a month for. However if I stop my membership for a few months I'll have to pay a pretty hefty sign up fee. I plan on using the facilities a few times over the next two months, otherwise I'd cancel and bite the sign up fee. Also...depending on where you live, the weather may effect you working out outside (heat, rain, etc) so you may want to keep the membership for rainy days.

Just things to consider. In the end do what best fits your situation!

For the record I love trail running...
  • healthymom1087
    healthymom1087 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)