lower back pain with deadlifts and ab work

Options
I've been doing Les Mills Pump and loving it. I have completed it in the past but didn't do the Hardcore Abs workout due to back pain. I REALLY want to do it this time, but same problem. If I don't use proper form and let my back arch then I don't have any pain, but as soon as I use proper form and keep my back flat to the ground and tighten up my abs, I get screaming pain in my lower back that lasts for a couple of days. I get the exact same pain doing deadlifts which I have no idea why. I think my form is spot on. Any ideas?

Replies

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    post form video
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll do that tonight. I think I can upload a video to my photobucket.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Ask your instructor to look at your form; that's part of what s/he is there for.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    I do it at home. I have the pump program. No trainer.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Ah. I have nothing to offer, then.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Could your lower back pain be lower back muscle soreness? I'm curious because I started 5x5 this week.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    Its not soreness like from a workout... This is actual pain. Almost feels like a muscle strain.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if your back hurts, then you are lifting with your back and not your legs. your form sounds all wrong
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Brett Contreras illustrates various deadlifts in the video below:
    http://youtu.be/9CleNQoKSb0
    Engaging the glutes helps.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the program you are on. I do know 5x5 and deadlifts. One thing you should consider is a weight belt. Here is a link to another excellent guide to deadlifts stronglifts.com/deadlift/form/. Also, seriously consider adding a lifting belt to your equipment list. Wearing the belt, proper breath control and good form will increase core strength.

Good Lifting and Good Luck!
  • d1664256
    d1664256 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Maybe your spinal erectors are not quite keeping pace with the rest of your back/legs. Give them a little attention with light weight. Just a guess.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    Posting a video tonight. Been trying to make it so I don't stick my butt out as far. I think that's helping but im not sure.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see it myself. Take it from the side. And maybe one from the front too.
  • morowinder
    morowinder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have overtightened lower back. Try foamroller, it should feel super painful at first, then just sore the next day and finally painless.
  • backlash79
    backlash79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eric Cressey has a good deadlift tutorial, are you doing dumbbell deadlifts?

At the top try to lock out with thrusting your house and squeezing your flutes.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Les Mills Pump and loving it. I have completed it in the past but didn't do the Hardcore Abs workout due to back pain. I REALLY want to do it this time, but same problem. If I don't use proper form and let my back arch then I don't have any pain, but as soon as I use proper form and keep my back flat to the ground and tighten up my abs, I get screaming pain in my lower back that lasts for a couple of days. I get the exact same pain doing deadlifts which I have no idea why. I think my form is spot on. Any ideas?

I would stop with the deadlifts completely and find other exercises to strengthen your back and abs, where form would not matter that much, or would nto be that hard to do right. Then I would go back to deadlifts and focus on form with very low weight.
  • Simo429
    Simo429 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try some yoga before hand I was getting aches when running any distance once I started 15 minutes of yoga three times a week it's all gone
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    backlash79 wrote: »
    Eric Cressey has a good deadlift tutorial, are you doing dumbbell deadlifts?

At the top try to lock out with thrusting your house and squeezing your flutes.

Barbell.

Thrusting my house and squeezingy flutes? Lol
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

I would stop with the deadlifts completely and find other exercises to strengthen your back and abs, where form would not matter that much, or would nto be that hard to do right. Then I would go back to deadlifts and focus on form with very low weight.

Form always matters. You should focus on that first versus doing x amount of reps/sets or adding weight.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »

Form always matters. You should focus on that first versus doing x amount of reps/sets or adding weight.

I stand corrected. "Where good form comes more naturally" is a better phrasing of what I wanted to say.