Guys Only: Personal Care Question

Options
Ladies, no offense, but this involves a personal issues that only guys can relate to...you've been warned.

've been running for quite some time now, and with summer coming up, I find it very painful to run some days because of very bad chaffing around my lower extremities. I usually treat it with a baking soda bath and Gold Bond medicated lotion, but I was wondering if I should be wearing certain clothing to prevent these painful episodes from occurring. I usually wear Under Armor running shorts with a supportive lining during workouts. I guess I am just wondering if there are better alternatives.

Replies

• bdseagle
    bdseagle Posts: 4
    Options
    I have felt your pain. I use body glide. You can buy it at most sporting goods stores or even online. It is a miracle worker for me.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    When I was running a whole lot and training for my first marathon, I discovered body glide. Great stuff!
    http://www.bodyglide.com/
  • Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm not a guy and I don't heed well with warnings.. nuff said.. But I don't know if you know they make a anti-chaffing stick thing.. You put it on your areas that chafe and its supposed to be fantastic.. I haven't used it so I can't say from personal experience :P You can buy it online

http://www.google.com/#q=anti-chafe+stick&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=dGrYTY5RxZe3B6ya-egO&ved=0CFwQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=5e329e188693deb6&biw=1028&bih=784

OR I've seen it in a lot of the sporting stores or running stores..
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I'm a lady, but I couldn't resist reading the forbidden... and we have chafing issues too, in different places, so I'll chime in. There's some stuff called BodyGlide - it looks like a deoderant stick, but you rub it on the areas that will chafe and it acts as a lubricant to prevent chafing. All of the running coaches and runners I know swear by it - I've used it too and it really helps.
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My husband would kill me if he knew I posted this, but I let him use my Monistat Anti-Chaffing Gel. Don't knock the company!! It's just for chaffing and it feels silky smooth for hours! He thinks it works really well.
  • redtrain
    redtrain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    try to find "compresion shorts". Under armor works well at wicking moistness away but compression shorts seem to be a little thicker and cause less heat friction. the generic Wal-mart brand works for me.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Again, not a dude. However, I'm an athletic trainer and I have worked with cross-country, track, football and all other sports. My runners like Body Glide or good ol' fashioned Petroleum Jelly. But if putting goop-type substances in your region isn't quite workin' it for ya...Get some spandex or compression shorts. SmartWool, UnderArmour, North Face, Mountain Hardwear are my top faves.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Not a guy .... but couldnt resist.
    I had all sorts of chafing issues until I started running commando...
    I use body glide in the nether regions... and go commando baby!
    I run in Nike capris ...
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Another nosy girl here.

my husband is a daily runner. he uses vaseline on the areas that tend to chaffe for longer runs. cheaper than the glide stick thing.
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    BODY GLIDE!!! I was so skeptical... But i bought it at Academy ($7)... OMFG... What have I been missing....

It works wonders.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I always wear compression shorts under my running shorts(with liner). Keeps everything in place, no chafing, even during half marathons. I've used body glide on my nipples to prevent them getting rubbed raw during long runs, but it can and has ruined two running shirts.
  • Rviernow
    Rviernow Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't listen very well and had to look. Body Glide is awesome. Never had a stain problem or anything from it. It has no odor. No more chaffing. I use it daily and a stick lasts about a year. It is a lot less messy than petroleum jelly.
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replies to this post. I will certainly look in to either the Body Glide or a pair of compression shorts. You guys (and girls) rock!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Another nosy girl here.

my husband is a daily runner. he uses vaseline on the areas that tend to chaffe for longer runs. cheaper than the glide stick thing.

so is the gelly mens deodorant...thats what i use
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    This topic is nuts.
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ExOfficio boxer briefs. Discovered them three years ago. They do the trick for me in a wide range of activities including running, hiking, spinning, etc. The thigh sections cling tight but don't constrict like compression shorts. The crotch has a nice supportive "pouch" for the whole gang; The Octagon, James Westfall, and Doctor Kenneth Noisewater. The material wicks moisture, dries quick and is super durable. They are the only underwear i use and have I yet to wear out a pair.
  • icramirez
    icramirez Posts: 40
    Options
    Dude, I had this prob. before a couple times and I found a fix. You gotta wear pure cotton undies only under everything else you wear. I mean 100 percent cotton! Also right after you shower make sure you use quick drying lotion.
    I found out that wearing work out clothes with no underwear on or plastic blends underwear usually start this problem of chaffing.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - cotton is the devil's fabric when it come to running

forget body glide, try Aquaphor - much thicker (and cheaper)
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Dude, I had this prob. before a couple times and I found a fix. You gotta wear pure cotton undies only under everything else you wear. I mean 100 percent cotton! Also right after you shower make sure you use quick drying lotion.
    I found out that wearing work out clothes with no underwear on or plastic blends underwear usually start this problem of chaffing.

Are you serious?
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have felt your pain. I use body glide. You can buy it at most sporting goods stores or even online. It is a miracle worker for me.

+1 on the Body Glide! Excellent product! Women can use it too!