Saturated Fat Advice

Options
Hi

Am hoping for some help and advice.

I am a well built guy (23st 8lb) who is just settling down following a thyroid diagnosis that needs medication for it to work.

The NHS BMI calculator is saying that for someone of my weight, age etc I need to be eating between 2780 and 3500 roughly in calories a day. It says that the lower end should be used in order to loose weight so I aim for 2980 and balance throughout the week. i.e. if one day needs to be over then another is lower to compensate.

I am thinking that these figures are not far off because if I eat less, i.e. down to 2000ish calories I loose all hunger signals which are only just returning thanks to the thyroid meds and physically slow down and joints ache etc which does not happen at the higher calories.

Now my problem is how to safely eat the higher calories whilst sticking to the levels of Saturated Fat (33g) each day I am finding it impossible and instead being up around 40g. Now I have set the system up to do 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fat as recommended on here and other websites which obviously change the number of grams targetted depending on calories. Is there a magic formula for Saturated Fat? as at the minute from what I can see is it is 33g no matter what your weight and calorie requirements.

My diet is pretty good in the sense that it is no fried stuff, no marg, no butter, no where close to the weekly allowance of alcohol, don't smoke and apart from walks in the countryside I go to the gym twice a week where I cover 5km in an hour and climb on average a 1 in 10 (10%) incline throughout which according the machine for my weight sees off 1000 calories which I do not eat back.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Paul

Replies

• yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For a normal, healthy person I would say don't worry about it. Many of the negative effects of saturated fat has been largely debunked, and the FDA is removing their warning to reduce saturated fats. However, in your case, talk to your doctor and see if saturated fat is something you should even worry about. Also, if you are only up around ten grams more than suggested it's probably nothing to worry about unless your doctor has said otherwise.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The most recent science is quickly reversing the stance that saturated fat is bad. Avoid trans fats and keep your calories in line. You'll be fine.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about saturated fat. Read The Big Fat Surprise. (http://thebigfatsurprise.com/)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track. B) Butter is o.k. Margarine is gross because some of them have transfats -- the kind of fat to stay away from if possible.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I cook with bacon fat almost exclusively since I started getting fit three years ago. My bloodwork is crazy-good, my skin clear, weight way down, strength way up.

If there's a downside, I haven't seen it.