Confused re exercise calories

Options
2»

Replies

• sallymason88
    sallymason88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    karintally, i think banking them might work better for me too. good suggestion
  • NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Can someone 3 stone plus overweight be considered in malnutrition?
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Eat less than half back.

Here's the deal: calorie estimation for exercise will give you the calories burned for that exercise. But to know the TRUE amount of calories that the exercise BENEFITS you, you need to subtract the calories you would have burned had you done nothing but sit in a chair.

Example: Let's say you do some exercise on a machine for an hour and it tells you that you burned 600 calories. Now, use a calculator on the web to figure out what you would have burned, for your height, weight and age, if you would have spent an hour sitting, and suppose it tells you 200 calories.

That means the REAL benefit of the exercise you did was 400 calories, not 600.

And you'd be safe eating half of that back. So eat 200 back.

I know it's extra math, but it's invaluable if you want real numbers that tell you what you the REAL calorie benefit is of the exercise you performed.

I think this is why people don't eat calories back (I know I don't); because I don't want to go through the extra math to figure out what my exercise really gave me. So I just eat at my goal and count the exercise as "extra" calories for my deficit. Extra deficit is always good.

If I were you, I'd eat at 1500, exercise, not eat anything back, and not do extra math.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am burning between 300 and 600 every day from exercise.

How are you calculating this?
  • sallymason88
    Options
    garmin on my bike
    so it depends how far i ride. the very least i do is 8 miles so that is the 300, i did 17 yesterday, 13 today
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    NerdyNix wrote: »
    Can someone 3 stone plus overweight be considered in malnutrition?

Create your own post to ask a new question.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Yes mam!!
  • arnoldmq
    arnoldmq Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I dont make it my goal to eat my calories back but I always eat more than my calorie budget, I only worry about the net calories so if I feel like I need to eat more I do, as long as net calories don't go in the negative i'm happy, and so far it has worked out.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I will follow your advice starting today, thank you, I really appreciate it. I will eat my 1200 plus half the exercise calories.

You should eat all of your exercise calories back. If not, your net is going to be less than 1200. The 1200 calories target already creates a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Don't eat if you are not hungry. That's how we all got fat to begin with.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    garmin on my bike
    so it depends how far i ride. the very least i do is 8 miles so that is the 300, i did 17 yesterday, 13 today

Garmin badly under estimates my cycling calories. Can be under by a third.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I read different opinions.

Here's my opinion: Exercise gives me a buffer to eat what I want to eat. If I am hungry I can eat more. If I'm not hungry, then I don't eat and I have a higher deficit that day.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    This link does a good job of explaining why MFP expects you to eat your exercise calories back.

Like it says in the thread, the best thing to do is eat back a portion of them.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • sallymason88
    Options
    thanks for all your help most appreciated
  • sallymason88
    Options
    if the garmin underestimates by so much, what is the best thing to do. I enter on mfp the calories from garmin based on my average speed. Because garmin is under the calories that mfp gives me I overtype it with the calories from garmin as it is less.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    if the garmin underestimates by so much, what is the best thing to do. I enter on mfp the calories from garmin based on my average speed. Because garmin is under the calories that mfp gives me I overtype it with the calories from garmin as it is less.

That it does for me doesn't mean it does for you!
    That's the nature of estimates. In the end consistency and common sense is all you need.

If you don't get the weight loss results you expect over time then reassess your food and exercise calorie logging and be prepared to adjust.
  • REiiGN15
    REiiGN15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

The running burn might be accurate. That number of calories for weight lifting is just about guaranteed to be grossly overestimated.

~Lyssa

That was a straight hour of weight lifting for a male working on strength.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    REiiGN15 wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »

The running burn might be accurate. That number of calories for weight lifting is just about guaranteed to be grossly overestimated.

~Lyssa

That was a straight hour of weight lifting for a male working on strength.

Everything I've read around here says weight lifting burns far fewer calories compared to cardio for the same amount of time.

How are you determining the calorie burn?

~Lyssa