Am I a grinch?

Options
2»

Replies

• filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    I definately do not agree with you! I don't want to seem rude, but I will say that I think everyone has a right to show off their children! I have a 1 1/2 year old daughter who is the light of my life and I LOVE showing her off. I have yet to meet someone who is opposed to seeing her, because she lights up the room. You have a right to your opinion, but I don't think it's something to get so bent out of shape about...or talk about on here. If you don't like being around the children, find another place to eat lunch or take your breaks instead of griping about it. Someday when you have kids of your own, you'll want to show them off too, and then you'll think about this post that you've written and realize how foolish it seems.

Question: Isn't this a site about weight loss??? Just curious. There are many women who are using this site to help lose baby weight, and I'm sure they too take their children to their workplaces to show them off...in other words: this probably is not the best place to vent about babies!

There are lots of women who are not using the site to lose baby weight. I think it is perfectly fine, in the "General discussion" area, to vent about whatever one pleases. This is not a site for "women only," nor is it for "moms only."

Someday, when I have kids of my own . . . hmm. I think I am perfectly capable of a mature, adult dialogue without having "children of my own," as are many childless adults in this big wide world of ours. ;)

I don't think what I wrote was foolish. I think it was honest.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You are NOT a grinch. why do people think we want to see their kids?
    I work in an office where a lot of the women are young or new mothers and they bring in their children. Then all work stops while everyone in the place oooo's and aaaahhhh's over these infants. for goodness sakes, have they never seen a baby before? why does the sight of a child make full grown women start speaking baby talk? I don't want to look at the baby pictures, one lady who is expecting even brought in the ultrasound, I don't want to make polite noises about how cute they are, or watch them as mom puts them through their little kid acts....can you say??/ ugh. now, fortunately, when I first started and women were talking about their families, I made it pretty clear my feelings for children, so they don't bother me too much. say something if it really bothers you, and to heck with what they think.
  • filergirl
    Options
    You are NOT a grinch. why do people think we want to see their kids?
    I work in an office where a lot of the women are young or new mothers and they bring in their children. Then all work stops while everyone in the place oooo's and aaaahhhh's over these infants. for goodness sakes, have they never seen a baby before? why does the sight of a child make full grown women start speaking baby talk? I don't want to look at the baby pictures, one lady who is expecting even brought in the ultrasound, I don't want to make polite noises about how cute they are, or watch them as mom puts them through their little kid acts....can you say??/ ugh. now, fortunately, when I first started and women were talking about their families, I made it pretty clear my feelings for children, so they don't bother me too much. say something if it really bothers you, and to heck with what they think.

Thanks. Very daring of you to say so. Interestingly, I've had a bunch of e-mail messages come in since I posted this, supporting me in private. It's a very taboo topic for a woman to say she's not really all that crazy about babies, and one a lot of people don't feel comfortable talking about. The positive comments have made me realize that I'm not alone.
  • amandacain1997
    amandacain1997 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I definately do not agree with you! I don't want to seem rude, but I will say that I think everyone has a right to show off their children! I have a 1 1/2 year old daughter who is the light of my life and I LOVE showing her off. I have yet to meet someone who is opposed to seeing her, because she lights up the room. You have a right to your opinion, but I don't think it's something to get so bent out of shape about...or talk about on here. If you don't like being around the children, find another place to eat lunch or take your breaks instead of griping about it. Someday when you have kids of your own, you'll want to show them off too, and then you'll think about this post that you've written and realize how foolish it seems.

Question: Isn't this a site about weight loss??? Just curious. There are many women who are using this site to help lose baby weight, and I'm sure they too take their children to their workplaces to show them off...in other words: this probably is not the best place to vent about babies!

There are lots of women who are not using the site to lose baby weight. I think it is perfectly fine, in the "General discussion" area, to vent about whatever one pleases. This is not a site for "women only," nor is it for "moms only."

Someday, when I have kids of my own . . . hmm. I think I am perfectly capable of a mature, adult dialogue without having "children of my own," as are many childless adults in this big wide world of ours. ;)

Again, you have a right to your opinion...as do I. I never once implied that this site was for "mom's only" I merely stated that there are many new moms using this sight...that's it. Personally I think you should take your "general discussion" blogs to another site. Oops, I'm expressing my opinions once again. I ONLY use this sight for weight loss questions and inspiration, that's my choice...use it for what you wish. I'm going to put the argument we seem to be having to a stop and say that we're going to have to agree to disagree on the topic of children at the workplace. My opinions might be based on the fact that I am a teacher who works with 22 first grade children every day. Co workers children are definately not out of place and in fact are an everyday part of my job. You working in an office is probably an entirely different story! I apologize for any comment I made that was taken wrong and I apologize for judging you.
  • filergirl
    Options

Again, you have a right to your opinion...as do I. I never once implied that this site was for "mom's only" I merely stated that there are many new moms using this sight...that's it. Personally I think you should take your "general discussion" blogs to another site. Oops, I'm expressing my opinions once again. I ONLY use this sight for weight loss questions and inspiration, that's my choice...use it for what you wish. I'm going to put the argument we seem to be having to a stop and say that we're going to have to agree to disagree on the topic of children at the workplace. My opinions might be based on the fact that I am a teacher who works with 22 first grade children every day. Co workers children are definately not out of place and in fact are an everyday part of my job. You working in an office is probably an entirely different story! I apologize for any comment I made that was taken wrong and I apologize for judging you.

Sure, I can agree to disagree. I accept your apology for judging me. :flowerforyou: It's not a big deal; I'm used to it.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Time to take any wrath away from mehughes and direct it to me :laugh:

Can't stand kids. I don't mind people talking about them or showing me pictures of them, just don't expect me to think the kids are cute - don't expect me to ooh and ahh. Babies all look the same to me - scrunched and red.

This has never happened to me, but if it did, where someone annoyed me (say every week) with pictures of kids, I would start showing them pictures of my cats. I'm beyond grinch...I retaliate.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Mary, I am sooo with you on that subject. :laugh:
    I know people think I am awful for making it perfectly clear that I am not interested in their children. I know they are proud parents, I accept that. just don't expect me to be all thrilled because what you see as a wonderous thing, I see as a leaker and squeaker. :flowerforyou:
  • jdonahue
    jdonahue Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    LOL. It's topics like these that keep me interested. I don't think you're a grinch and I HAVE a child (as you can probably tell from the profile). I LOVE my daughter immensely but I definitely know that children don't belong everywhere and that not everyone wants to be subject to mine. I feel like sometimes parents have to make sacrifices when they have children and respect that not everyone wants to experience children in certain places.

I did bring my daughter to the office a few times after I had her (the first time I was still on maternity leave and had a meeting that I HAD to attend and I didn't have a sitter)--however, I also worked for a foster care agency so there were ALWAYS cute and/or screaming children in the office. It wasn't uncommon or out of place. It was actually a family friendly atmosphere to work. However, if I was working at my previous job at a law office, it probably wouldn't occur to me to bring my daughter to work.

Don't worry about your "spinsterhood" quite yet. I'm only 26 and I am already trying to remember the days of "freedom" before I had my daughter--being able to up and go whenever and wherever you want to. I honestly wouldn't trade Amelia for anything in the world though, it's just fun to "reminisce" . :happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well if it makes you feel any better, I *don't* want to have kids. I'm totally with marywilldiet! I think my little sister is the only baby I could stand to be around when she was that young (we're 10 years apart), and even she bugged me. My little brother (he's 3) is terribly-behaved, and has pretty much scared me out of wanting to have one. My bf really wants one...so we'll just have to see how that pans out. We are still waiting for me to wake up one morning and say, "Hey, I want one of those miniature persons!" :laugh: The idea of making a person with someone you love is wonderful. But to me, keeping it and raising it and all that is just not something I could see myself doing very well. There is so much that I want to do, and I don't want to be a bad parent.

And hey, you still have several years to have one. Pregnancies are riskier over the age of 35, but still very possible until you actually reach menopause.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I think that kids are huge blessings and I have sacraficed having a career for them!!!! Because of them I am a better person and I am not selfish. I give my kids all that I have. I would not change anything if I could. They make me a stronger person. I can't imagine a life with just my husband and I. We have so much fun as a family. Yes at times I go crazy, and that is when I go workout or call for a date night with my husband. There is go greater joy for me than to here my kids tell me they love me. Heidi:flowerforyou:

:drinker: Here's to my mom, thanks for not stopping at 5, or I would not be here.
  • shakenbake
    Options
    I think you all just need to grow up! Whats one persons likes is anothers difference. So why do you gotta go and put down one another. If you dont like looking at anothers profile because they have kids and are proud of them. Then i suggest keep your stupid comments to urself. Its just down out rude to tell someone you hate kids. I could say i hate cats even though I don't. And even if I did I would not go and throw it in anothers face. Disrespectful and rude,Anyways you all enjoy your lifes and keep your rude A comments to urself:mad: From the Shakenbake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile: Oh and one more thing just sit back and relax and loose some weight not friends. Maybe even go buy some midol. LOL :smile: Lets all together take some deep breaths there you go HEE Hee Whoooo just like having a baby you girls would be wonderful baby makers:tongue:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Maybe even go buy some midol. LOL :smile: Lets all together take some deep breaths there you go HEE Hee Whoooo just like having a baby you girls would be wonderful baby makers:tongue:

LOL I find this oddly offensive but also hilarious :laugh:

I generally keep it to myself that I don't want to have kids, except when my parents bug me about popping a couple out.
  • shakenbake
    Options
    Maybe even go buy some midol. LOL :smile: Lets all together take some deep breaths there you go HEE Hee Whoooo just like having a baby you girls would be wonderful baby makers:tongue:

I generally keep it to myself that I don't want to have kids, except when my parents bug me about popping a couple out.
    Thanks it was meant to be funny not offensive I was trying to loosen everyone up a bit so I hope it works. Its great to see some sense of humor:smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Thanks it was meant to be funny not offensive I was trying to loosen everyone up a bit so I hope it works. Its great to see some sense of humor:smile:

Eh, it takes a LOT to offend me, and it has to be directed toward my intelligence, not my period or child-bearing capabilities :laugh: People do get uppity about stuff and blow it out of proportion.

In the words of my dad:

"Opinions are like buttcracks...everyone has one, and they all stink."

:tongue: